Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning? Step inside

you use same like you said, so you dont get any knock learn

you use different if you want the car to get knock learn. Consider it like the LTFT except for knock. This is a stored value to pull timing. Same way fuel trims work (kinda). With no knock learn, you still get knock but its like the STFT, it wont remember it each time you hit that cell but it will have to respond to the sensors to pull timing each time.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    where would you benefit for it in this way?
    when theres little KR in a cell? sometimes it hits sometimes not?
    Thanks good info!

All this does is make sure you get your full timing in all cell.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    you use same like you said, so you dont get any knock learn

you use different if you want the car to get knock learn. Consider it like the LTFT except for knock. This is a stored value to pull timing. Same way fuel trims work (kinda). With no knock learn, you still get knock but its like the STFT, it wont remember it each time you hit that cell but it will have to respond to the sensors to pull timing each time.
    Is knock learn enabled only in closed loop mode ?

INTHERED
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

Senior Tuner
    I will stand by the notion of taking the High table, copy it, remove 4* and paste it to the low table. If that Maf goes, or if you get a tank of bad gas(it can happen!!) you'll be glad you did. On the other hand if your tuner is always in your car, then you can do whatever you're comfortable with....just my 2-ctns, and "NO" I don't want my change

Well reguardless of what your low octane table is at, your car will still pull timing. So it really doesnt matter. If you get a bad tank, low octane 4* lower isnt going to do much anyway. It will move down there so slowly and it still has to learn. By the time it learns, that tank is gone and the whole time you had knock correction was the standard settings under the knock tab.

Tuner
    I'm a newb and i'm trying to tune a 99 Siverado with the 5.3,bolt ons only.I'm trying to tune the VE tables, I followed the directions about how to disable the MAF by setting the fail frequency to 0. One write up said not to worry about the SES light,another said to disable codes PO101,102,103, or the transmission would not shift right.Which one is right?
    2) Can the MAF be disabled just by changing it in VCM editor or do i have to change the file then write it to the computer? This is probably a stupid question, but I just don't know.
    3) I drove around for about an hour. I held the brake and the accelerator to hit some cells and kept the transmission in 1st to hit the ones on the top end. Is this alright?
    4) Most of the cells showed highlighted in red, numbers in the cells ranged from 9 to 16. Is this normal or does this indicate a seriously lean problem.

Sorry about so many questions and the long post, but I need help bad.Thank you in advance
    '99 Silverado ECSB w/5.3, Patriot Performance Heads (2.02in 1.57ex) milled .050, LSXrt intake w/FAST 102mm TB, Comp/EPS Cam (226/230* dur .598/.600" lift 113 +2 LSA), 44# injectors, LS7 Lifters, Stock Rockerarms, Double Roller Timing Chain, ARP Head & Rod Bolts, HV Oil Pump, Vigilante 9" Converter 3600 stall, FLT Level 5 4L65E, K&N 77 series, Pacesetter LT, No Cats, Magnaflow Mufflers, True Duals, TB Bypass, Truetrac, 4.10's, E-Fans, HP Tuner

'10 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, L99, A6: Stock

With stock/mild bolt ons, I leave the VE table stock and rescale the maf so that the actual AFR matches the commanded AFR. The VE table is only really used if the MAF fails. Save yourself allot of time & gas and just tune the MAF.

Do you have the enhanced I/O and a wideband O2? If your going by fuel trims, then you want the LTFT to be around -7 to 0. Your lean if the LTFT is positive.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    With stock/mild bolt ons, I leave the VE table stock and rescale the maf so that the actual AFR matches the commanded AFR. The VE table is only really used if the MAF fails. Save yourself allot of time & gas and just tune the MAF.Do you have the enhanced I/O and a wideband O2? If your going by fuel trims, then you want the LTFT to be around -7 to 0. Your lean if the LTFT is positive.Russ Kemp
    I went to the track with my Hptuner Pro datalogger and noticed that when
    I launch my car the LTFTs lock positive so the car runs 10% rich during the
    entire 1/4 mile. I thought I had a good tune but at idle the LTFTs are +6 to
    +10. I tried to do the VE tune with the MAF connected but since my car has
    a Magnacharger blower it goes into boost/PE too quick so I can hardly hit
    any cells. Anyway the LTFTs were 0 to -7 in the cells that I did hit except
    for the 800 rpm 40 KPA cell which was positive but I have a 700 rpm idle so
    why would it appear in this cell I don't understand. I have a BBK TB which is
    80mm instead of the 75mm stock TB which may be the cause of the positive
    LTFTs. But what would I change to get the car to lock at 0 when I mash the
    gas ? The datalogger cannot keep up with the transition it goes from 700 rpm
    to 1050 rpm and I can't see anything in between. I was thinking about scaling
    the lower end of the MAF table by 10% but I figured I would ask first.

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

You need to tune the maf table in OPEN LOOP using the Maf afr % error histogram and a wideband to get the actual afr to match the commanded afr.
    I would set the PE table to 11.75 -12.0 at all rpms first and disable the air pump.

Then lock the trans in second gear using the vcm controls. Now with the trans locked in 2nd gear, go wot from idle to your redline. Then copy the Maf error % from the histogram and using paste special > multiply by %. Once you get close, use multiply by % -half. After the wot tuning is right, then fill the lower end of the maf histogram at part throttle (stay out of pe) and rescale that part of the maf table. Make sure that the stoich afr is set to 14.68 and the open loop table is 1.00 at operating temp, and at all map rows.

What size & brand injectors? Post your file, I think that the IFR table may be wrong. That could be the reason for your positive fuel trims.

The fuel trims will then lock at 0 @ wot after enabling closed loop.

Russ Kemp

What size & brand injectors? Post your file, I think that the IFR table may be wrong. That could be the reason for your positive fuel trims.

Russ Kemp
    The car has FORD SVO 42# injectors. I believe the tune started out with
    close to the correct injector sizes except at 0 & 80 KPA they were scaled
    from the original tuner. Then I added a 04Z06 MAF and the mail order tuner
    scaled the table at different places to get the fuel trims and PE close then
    I went catless for a while and things got scaled again and then I got headers
    and things got scaled again. It appears that the mail order guy only made
    changes to the IFR and PE tables but believe it or not the car does not run
    too bad. I get 30 mpg and it runs real low 11s at the track. I will post a file
    tomorrow since Iam using some elses computer.

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED

[QUOTE=Russ K]Then lock the trans in second gear using the vcm controls. Now with the trans locked in 2nd gear, go wot from idle to your redline. Then copy the Maf error % from the histogram and using paste special > multiply by %. Once you get close, use multiply by % -half. After the wot tuning is right, then fill the lower end of the maf histogram at part throttle (stay out of pe) and rescale that part of the maf table. Make sure that the stoich afr is set to 14.68 and the open loop table is 1.00 at operating temp, and at all map rows. What size & brand injectors? Post your file, I think that the IFR table may be wrong. That could be the reason for your positive fuel trims.Russ Kemp/QUOTE]

Russ

I have a problem I can't put my car in second gear and go WOT it just lites
    up the tires probably the best I can do is 3rd gear from maybe 2500 to redline

I have attached two tune files one is from the original tuner and one is my
    street tune after all of the email tunes were done.

A couple of things bother me about the tunes:
    1. The LTFT learn enable is set to 33 KPA
    2. The Dynamic Airflow Hi RPM disable was set to 400 rpm

Do you know what the tuner was trying to accomplish by changing these ?

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED

Tuner in Training
    help,i can't see the tunes inthered posted or any of the ones in the tune repository,what program does your computer choose in order for you guys to see the tune.

I'm at work right now, so I'll look at your tune tonight. The LTFT learn at 33 kpa means that there is no LTFT learning below that value. I normally set that value to 25 kpa on a cammed car (stock is 20 kpa)

Not sure about the dynamic airflow setting.

Russ Kemp

You need to down load the 2.1.14.0 version from the customer page.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    thanks russ,now i can see it,i'm still waiting on my hp tuner to arrive in the mail but i got the key and serial number trough email.

I'm at work right now, so I'll look at your tune tonight. The LTFT learn at 33 kpa means that there is no LTFT learning below that value. I normally set that value to 25 kpa on a cammed car (stock is 20 kpa)
    Russ Kemp
    Russ

My car has an 04Z06 cam and a blower that has a
    vacuum operated bypass valve. Would the Z06 cam
    require changing the LTFT learn above 20 kpa ?

When tuning you said to turn off the air pump is there
    any advantage to leaving it turned off all the time ?

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED
    Last edited by INTHERED; 10-27-2006 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INTHERED
    Russ

My car has an 04Z06 cam and a blower that has a
    vacuum operated bypass valve. Would the Z06 cam
    require changing the LTFT learn above 20 kpa ?

When tuning you said to turn off the air pump is there
    any advantage to leaving it turned off all the time ?

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED
    With the ZO6 cam, leave the LTFT learn map stock. I turn off the air pump while tuning the afr in open loop so as not to cause a false lean afr. After the afr is right, enable closed loop and you can enable the air pump if you want. There is no advantage to having the air pump off all the time. I removed mine and the plumbing to clean up my engine compartment. And use 3rd gear to prevent tire spin to get the low rpm wot afr right.

Russ Kemp

INTHERED

Try this one, I made some changes to the EMAIL tune. Put your car in open loop and get the afr to match the commanded afr (11.75 afr in pe) and 14.68 when not in pe. Use the maf afr % error histogram to rescale the maf table. After you get the afr right, enable closed loop, the air pump and DFCO.

What are you going to do with those stock trans pressure settings? Did you install a shift kit? Let me know if you need my maf tuning config file.

Russ Kemp

INTHERED
    Try this one, I made some changes to the EMAIL tune. Put your car in open loop and get the afr to match the commanded afr (11.75 afr in pe) and 14.68 when not in pe. Use the maf afr % error histogram to rescale the maf table. After you get the afr right, enable closed loop, the air pump and DFCO.What are you going to do with those stock trans pressure settings? Did you install a shift kit? Let me know if you need my maf tuning config file.
    Russ Kemp
    Russ

Thanks for the tune. You actually answered a question that I was going to
    ask about turning off the DFCO during tuning. I actually have a tune that
    I have been working on that has modified trans settings in it but I did'nt
    want to send it to you I thought it might be too much data for you to look at
    all at one time. I will give this new tune a try just as soon as I figure out how
    to connect my LM1 to my Hptuner. Yes I would like a copy of your config file.

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED