Thread: 97 grand am 4T40-E

97 grand am 4T40-E

i have a modified 97 grand am 2.4L twin cam witht he automatic trans. sitting at bit over 123,000 miles. it still works fine, but i can tell its going, so i plan on getting it rebuilt (maybe) with tax money.

after said rebuild, i want to try to get into tuning the trans more. mainly the shift pressure.

on my HPT, under trans> shift pressure, the tables are all set to zero. would increasing those do the trick?

or, would i have to go under General>Force Motor Current> positive/negative?

*edit* and, whats the difference between the pos and neg current on the FMC?
    Last edited by crazyeyez; 01-31-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Nick
    1997 Grand Am 2.4L. (gaownersclub.com)
    2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 3.5L (355Naton.net)
    2009 Harley-Davidson XL883C (XLForum.net)

Since your transmission has a vacuum modulator, the shift pressure tables aren't used.

Only way to firm up the shifts is a shift kit.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Since your transmission has a vacuum modulator, the shift pressure tables aren't used.

Only way to firm up the shifts is a shift kit.

Russ Kemp
    It is electronically controlled on that car.

Do not touch the force motor current. You want to change the shift speed and pressure, but leave the max at 90psi. If I get time I can post some screen shots to help you out.

John aka JMHZ2401 has a modest trans tune that I sent him, and is working well on his buddies 99 supercharged Z24.

What mods do you have done?

Just realized this is a year old.