Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: LNF Cam adjustment

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericemir View Post
    Awesome!!! I too would like this just as a show off on what I can do with the cams lol This is awesome tech these cars have!!!

But cobaltssoverbooster is right... I would only want this if its safe. If it causes valvetrain damage then its no good. im excited for good news from this!
    I got a tune ready just drivin it to verify if it makes harsh shifts.
    Eric u need to get ur codes gone first lol

Edit I'll add a video tonight it turned out quiet though cause of the Hahn muffler.
    Edit 2: Bingo shes done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXFK...p8IbD75rmXxfk=
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-06-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

well shi.... did you get the lope by using hp tuners or something else? sounds pretty cool

matt is using something else most likely along the lines of a piggyback with the cam phaser codes turned off to prevent cel light for no reason.
    i used hpt and its looking promising but we all know its not over till the outcome has results.

yea i hear that, my work got busy again so i had a slow down in my idle cam timing fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stromboli86 View Post
    yea i hear that, my work got busy again so i had a slow down in my idle cam timing fun.
    Bummer....well just as I was expecting the car throws a misfire code for every cylinder. Rapid acceleration and sudden deceleration of the crank cause the light to turn on.

Eh, just turn those codes off then haha... Are you saying the adjustments to the cams to make lope are causing the rapid accel/decel and codes or did you do something radical to make the lope? Could changing the idle speed help at all?

well if you shut the codes off you will disable cruise control because ive done that before for another reason. and im trying to do this without causing a mil light because i would like to keep those codes active since they are kida sorta very important.

Edit: added the newest excell program. since the cobalts are causing overlap by the cam shift then this is what we are getting. negative would be seperation and positive is overlap.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.

So I finally have my car back and got time to tune again.

What is the final verdict on the max and min values that work in the intak and exhaust tables?

Is it:

Intake Max: +10
    Intake Min: -40

Exhaust Max: +44
    Exhaust Min: -6

So most overlap is Intake -40 and Exhaust +44?

--Christian

yessir

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNITE View Post

What is the final verdict on the max and min values that work in the intak and exhaust tables?

Is it:

--Christian
    In what situation would you want to command that much overlap though?

With the usual setups- slim to none

Tuner in Training
    my cam map start at 0 and end 255.

i think 0 is 127. is more (>127) cam forward ?

Tuner in Training
    Got this to work on my LAP 2.2

I have different cam tables than you LNF guys.

I was able to just edit the "idle" part in the cam table. Soon as the car gets off idle it corrects to stock.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...98321654570207

Simple table to help you visualize, only, since pos and neg numbers with advance and retard can get confusing. This is only visualization for what you're doing with overlap irregardless of how much total advance you have. Just a comparator.

Repeating previous info, the minimum overlap occurs with both cams in park position (intake at +10 in the editor, exhaust at -6) . The maximum overlap occurs with intake fully advanced (-40 in the editor) and the exhaust fully retarded (+44 in the editor)

1. Treat the MIN overlap you can create thru the editor tables as a value of 0:

MIN overlap available = (MIN intake advance - intake park position) + (MIN exhaust retard + exhaust park position)

MIN overlap available = (+10 -10) + (-6 + 6)
    MIN overlap available = 0 + 0
    MIN overlap available = 0

2. Treat the MAX you can create thru the editor tables as a value of 100:

MAX overlap available = ABS(MAX intake advance - intake park position) + (MAX exhaust retard + exhaust park position)

MAX overlap available = ABS(-40 - 10) + (44 + 6)
    MAX overlap available = ABS(-50) + 50
    MAX overlap available = 50 + 50
    MAX overlap available = 100

Why take the absolute value? Because of the park position being zero and the intake cam only advancing, the values will always be negative. Taking the absolute value and adding to the exhaust gives you an easier visualization of whether you're creating more overlap or less based on a scale of 0-100. Easier for people to visualize. Also easy to compare to stock and other people's tables.

This does not take into account actual cam positions. This is to help visualize overlap - cam positions relative to each other. With that explanation, here's the equation:

ABS[INTAKE -10] + [EXHAUST + 6]

This means that a value of 0 is the least amount of overlap you can have, and a value of 100 is the greatest amount.

Potential Tuner
    Here's my try at the "Lopey Cam" - I maxed both cams out, added about 15* of ignition timing to the relavent areas (all 4 tables), and upped the idle to 900. Seems OK to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mKy8-FiZMM

Quote Originally Posted by CDNITE View Post

Is it:

--Christian

Potential Tuner
    and another with just noise..

Quote Originally Posted by digus View Post
    Here's my try at the "Lopey Cam" - I maxed both cams out, added about 15* of ignition timing to the relavent areas (all 4 tables), and upped the idle to 900. Seems OK to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mKy8-FiZMM

Pretty sweet.

So you added 15 degrees of timing just to the idle areas?

And to confirm, this si with both cams maxed out in either direction? No stalling issues?
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

With 4 cylinders it causes jerking motion in the crank and the extra timing was probably what it took to keep it smooth enough to keep the sensitive crank sensor test from triggering a miss fire.

Potential Tuner
    Both correct - I maxed out both cams, but it took the extra 15* of timing (in All tables), AND bumping it to 950RPM, to keep it running "smoothly". I made these changes to 0-25% load, and up to 1500RPM. Once you hit the gas at all, it's completely back to normal.
    It was just too much for me though, I couldn't keep it that way. I'll export the tables, if anyone wants em..

It requires less cam movement with a full exhaust. I perfected the lope but the code always comes back a few days later.