Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help with SD tune, hard start after reflash

Need a little help with SD tune, hard start after reflash

I'm having some issues getting my SD tune up and going properly. I have the 3bar OS, running Speed Density only. The setup is on a turbocharged 5.3L. I have the rest of the tune pretty much worked out, except for after I flash or disconnect the battery, it's EXTREMELY hard to keep running. Until it sets the P0102/103 MAF error codes and goes to SD mode.

You have to jack around with the throttle to get the ECU to fault the MAF, then it runs just fine until you clear the DTC's via a reflash or battery disconnect. However, it will not fault the MAF by simply turning the key on and waiting. It starts up and runs for about 2 seconds, then goes lean. Any attempt to stab the throttle results in a small flare, then no fuel. If you jab the throttle multiple times it will set the DTC's and off you go. Rather embarassing though....

I have the P0102/3 DTC's set to 2-No Mil Light, with the SES enable box still checked if that matters.

I'm running a 2004 GTO Operating System as well.

Here's the exact problem i'm having, but the OP seems to have let the thread die....

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...density+gto%22

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have attached the current tune file.
    Last edited by 96gt4.6; 03-22-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Are you sure you have the MAF completely failed? I'm on the wrong computer so I can't look at your tune.
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

I belive I do, but might double check me:

Maf fail HZ to: 0

Codes set to - 2. No MIL, however I left the MIL Illuminate checkbox checked, not sure if that matters?

MAF removed and signal wire removed from PCM connector.

It does indeed set the codes as well when I check for DTC's.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Tuner in Training
    what year model truck,,, 99? like your sig? because mine did this to me I'll have to look back and see how i fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr-performance View Post
    what year model truck,,, 99? like your sig? because mine did this to me I'll have to look back and see how i fixed it.
    It's actually my Mustang. It's a 2007 Van computer, flashed with a 2004 GTO tune file, then converted to a 3bar Enhancement.

I belive this is a feature specific to this particular OS, that being the '04 GTO. As on some of the other tunes i've done, it will fault the MAF immediately if it's not there. The only reason I used the GTO tune was because it's a changeover year that used the drive-by-wire ECU with a cable throttle body. It was probably un necessary, as from what i've gathered any ECU with the IAC drivers soldered on the board will run a cable throttle.

So therefore, If I were to use a different OS, say off of a 2003-2007 pickup, the way it checks/faults the MAF circuit might be more instant, vs this OS which requires the engine to be started and seems to have a specific timer before it faults the MAF and goes pure SD.

It's definately very annoying.

I'm all ears at this point, if ya got something shoot it my way and i'll sure give it a try!
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Tuner in Training
    Set P0101, P0102, and P0103 to MIL on First Error and report back if that helped

Ok buddy, I gave it a shot, but the results seem the same. I made a video, and I left the SES enable box checked for the DTC's so that you can see in the video, when exactly the DTC's set and the reaction on how it runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn5TLE912Uo
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Advanced Tuner
    I've recently had the same issue with a 02 C5 pcm. Not sure what the fix is.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

Tuner in Training
    Have you tried to 0 out all the MAF tables and see if that helps?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Have you tried to 0 out all the MAF tables and see if that helps?
    I have tried everything I can think of. Car will not revert to SD right away, I have to fire up the car and hold the rpms to 4K plus until it recognizes the MAF has failed.

I have also noticed that the car does not write new tunes without going to an error message stating that the pcm has exceeded the number of writes, counts down to 10 and then continues finishing writing the tune.

I was banging my head against the wall with this one-changing map sensors at least 3 times.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to bump this old thread....

OP did you ever figure out a solution to this problem?
    New to tuning...My eyes hurt from reading so much...
    05 Sierra CCSB/6.0/H-C-I/4l80/Circle-D Multidisc 3400/3:73 gear
    400hp/380tq

I did not.....however I did find a workaround to the solution. On my most recent turbo build, I ran a stock truck MAF briefly, ended up going Speed Density, but left the MAF in place. Once I set the fail HZ to 0 in the tune, it alleviated the hard start after reflash I had with the Turbo Mustang, which was Mafless. Other then that, I found no solution to the 'slow' time it takes for the MAF to fail.

However.....my friend with EFI live was able to fix his. He had access to the test parameters for the MAF fail DTC, such as time before setting the fault code. Moving the test parameter time, made it fail instantly and he had no issues. However, with HPT, I was unable to cure mine. Just dealt with it.
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Tuner in Training
    Hmm, well hell! I still run the maf but I was just trying to tune the VE table openloop. I did go out and keep trying to start it like you did in the video and I did get it to finally kick the SES light and go into SD. So for now I guess I can do it this way just to get the VE wideband tune. Thanks for the quick response!
    400hp/380tq

Tuner
    Mine does this to after loading a tune but not nearly as bad as the one in the video. I can keep it running on the first start but it's a bit tricky. Then after a few seconds it acts like it wakes up and runs normal. I was told that how mine acts is normal behavior after loading a tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
    Mine does this to after loading a tune but not nearly as bad as the one in the video. I can keep it running on the first start but it's a bit tricky. Then after a few seconds it acts like it wakes up and runs normal. I was told that how mine acts is normal behavior after loading a tune.
    Just adjusting the tune? Or trying to fail the maf for SD?

My issue and the OP was trying to get the MAF failed to go into SD, only difference was the OP didn't have a MAF at all
    400hp/380tq

Tuner
    When I load a tune and start the car right after. As for trying to get it to fail, mine has always done it. I set the 3 DTCs to option 2 as option 3 prevents my car from running and I have the MAF table zeroed out. I also don't have it hooked up since I'm SD.

Go to Engine>Airflow>Dynamic on the left side at the top set "MAF Airmass Filt" to zero, below it "High RPM Disable" to zero, and "High RPM Hyst" to zero. That fixed a hard restart on my 06 Silverado. It would start and die multiple times after a reflash, sometimes 10 or 15 times before it would set the maf fail codes and run. Made it real frustrating to go out real quick and try to change a few things on the side of the road.

Tuner
    I just did this after loading a new tune and the car started without having to touch the gas pedal. Thank you.

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the same trouble with an 09 Sierra, I looked to try the fix in comment #17 but mine doesn't have near as many drop box options as the 06. Can someone tell me how to do the same as above with my 09 Sierra? Also, Did you guys see a CKP error when initially trying to crank the vehicle?

Set the MAF table to like 8-10 g/sec. I say the whole table, but most times you only need to fill in the first cell, depends if you have the MAF in or not. To be safe, do the whole table. This will suport the idle airflow requirements while the PCM fails over to SD.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]