Thread: constant kr lnf

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar

constant kr lnf

been tuning lnf's for a while but havent seen this issue before.....
    cylinder compression/leak test all pass
    move the coild packs around and the same cylinders are doing this problem.
    i have a constant kr in the mid range...it never goes away even when i remove up to 10* from all the value areas......it seems to register mostly on cylinder 4 but have seen on cyl 2 and small amount on 1. can clutch trans noise be causing my issue.....? any other ideas to check?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    I glanced at the log, I see several issues. Biggest one is fueling. The mixtures are off and inconsistent. Look at your desired vs. actual lambda, they're all over the place. Most guys are happy when the LTFT's are at zero, but that doesn't mean the mixtures are ok. What you need to do is not look at the STFT or LTFT's when trying to get mixtures dialed in. Look carefully at the wideband, it's telling you what's actually happening, the fuel trims are telling you what already happened and was being compensated for. Those lambda desired and actual lines should be pretty damn even. There's spots where you're commanding 1.0, but it's running at 1.05 to .84. Work on getting those dips and peaks out of the fueling.

The other thing I noticed was your mixture tests looked like there's actually something wrong with either your wideband or some fueling issue. Look at the square wave section of the lambda desired vs. actual. Those rich,lean,rich,lean switches should follow each other EXACTLY. Yours aren't even close, like the wideband is lazy or the fueling is not changing properly.

Here's what I'm talking about...
    Fueling inconsistent. (btw, you also have too much off idle ign timing, smooth out those excessively high numbers in the light load areas.)

Mixture control tests...
    Yours...

What it's supposed to look like...

Fix the mixtures and ign timing, figure out what's going on with the fueling and your kr should go away. If I was gonna guess, I'd say throw a new pre-cat (sensor 1) lambda sensor in it and then see how those mixture tests look. If it is lazy or contaminated, it's gonna cause all kinds of problems.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 03-20-2012 at 12:28 AM.

factory gmpp kit off idle ignition with onlly exception being wot 90-100% load columns
    when i tune the maf in and get the numbers closer it runs rougher.....that recording was with a 1.o modifier so ill further adjust the modifier and get them really close and post the result......thanks for the cat test info great stuff

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    factory gmpp kit off idle ignition with onlly exception being wot 90-100% load columns
    when i tune the maf in and get the numbers closer it runs rougher.....that recording was with a 1.o modifier so ill further adjust the modifier and get them really close and post the result......thanks for the cat test info great stuff
    Doesn't mean they got it right. They didn't. lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Most guys are happy when the LTFT's are at zero, but that doesn't mean the mixtures are ok.
    Doh i fall under this category, but seriously my car was showing kr the day i drove it off the dealer lot. I set the alarm on my dashhawk to ring when it went over 3 kr and i almost threw the thing out the window it was so noisy. Definitely gonna have to spend some time and redo the fueling on my car soon.

i think my wb is retarded and putting them in sucks on cobalts sad face 8(
    might buy a new maf to be on the safe side as well, its been abused

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post

Mixture control tests...
    Yours...

What it's supposed to look like...

How are you doing that?

I'm just curious how you can control the commanded lambda like that, unless that's not what I'm seeing.
    Last edited by SloFive; 03-23-2012 at 01:24 AM.

the computer tests the sensor on its own you just need to wait for it. log comanded wb lambda and actual wb lambda

Tuner in Training
    Pardon my ignorance. I hadn't noticed that before. I looked through your log a couple times before I saw it.

Does it only happen under certain conditions?

i beilve it only gets checked at idle

and if ur talking about the kr i dont feel it and it seems to be right before a low load shift.

Tuner in Training
    I was talking about the mixture test.

The KR is pretty similar to what I've always seen with my car though.

Tuner in Training
    It looks like it happens during normal driving, possibly idling too.

Anyway, very similar to the OP's log. I am currently running the stock intake and stock tune. The O2 sensor has been on the car about 4-5000 miles.

Just to play devil's advocate, you have disabled all forms of torque management while logging and tuning timing, right? It will pull timing before shifts. Also disable all burst knock, which pulls timing in anticipation of knock.

It could verry well be burst kr I may have forgot on this specific tune....

did you figure it out?

yea sorry for not updating. after i fixed it i dove right into the cam thread and tried to help figure it out to learn more and help out since i have a tad bit of free time lately.

the problem was caused by lessening the overlap at cruise an extensive ammount. this caused the cylinder to heat up since it i adjusted it so scavenge less air. the scavenge effect will help cool a cylinder off so by lessening its effect i caused a cylinder temp increase that caused timing issues.