Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning and could use some pointers

Tuner in Training

New to tuning and could use some pointers

What's going on guys? So I finally just got HPT set up and everything and now I guess it's time to start the fun. All of this is completely new to me, but I have been doing some reading on here over the past few months. On the attached file is the tune for my car (I'm not sure if you guys need a couple logs of me driving around) but ever since I was tuned, P0171 and P0300 are always on and never go away. Can any of you determine what I can do to fix this issue based on the tune I attached? The only thing that I can say is that the car misfires a bunch while idling (scan gauge reads anywhere from 2-26 misfires).

Obviously I'm not going to just jump right into this, start editing and uploading. I'll be looking around for as much info I can find and check the tune with everyone before uploading it. Any help I can get is much appreciated!
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline
    2.9" Pulley//K&N Typhoon Intake//Full 3" Catless Exhaust// Stage III FM H/E// 60# Injectors

251WHP//233TQ

You got a log that has cruise idle and partial accel also is those the mods on car now in your Sig?

Tuner in Training
    I don't have any logs yet. I bought HPT off of someone and they forgot to send me the EIO plug. And yes, the mods in my sig are what I have as of right now. I will post a log whenever he sends me the plug.

Back when I had the tune done, it was cut alittle short because on the last log/pull that I did, my exhaust blew apart lol. So I had to use what I already had. I think he told me that it was just some fine tuning that didn't get done.
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline
    2.9" Pulley//K&N Typhoon Intake//Full 3" Catless Exhaust// Stage III FM H/E// 60# Injectors

251WHP//233TQ

Okay I will take a look at it in about two hours when I get home. You can do a log with out the eio plug just won't get the wideband part if your afr up top is fine you won't need it right away.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks man, I appreciate that. Do I need to log the initial warm up idle before the cruise log? That's really when the misfires are showing the most. I'll try to get the log done before I start removing the suspension.
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline

251WHP//233TQ

Its really strange how the person setup your pe stuff. Your pe doesn't come in till after 14.5 pounds on boost and your commanded afr is 10.8. Under torque management I would max out the desired torque tables. Also the misfire could be few things like bad spark plugs, spark plugs gaped to big, to cold plugs, bad injectors, bad compression in cylinder, and so on. You will get some misfires with any injectors really. You should be able to idle your car down below 900rpms.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I did 2 quick logs. Not sure if the first one is necessary, but it's the initial start up to warm up the car for 10 minutes. Second one is a quick drive around.

If you remember 04Redline from the forums, he was actually the one who tuned me. The only weird thing that I can recall when I was getting tuned is that when Phil hooked up his HPT and started reading my AFR, his laptop was reading my AFR around 2:1 less than what the wideband was displaying (example being that I would idle at 15:1 and his computer was reading 13:1). I think that may have been the only thing that threw him off. Other than that, I'm running new NGK BKR7E gapped at .032. The injectors I bought off of someone who hardly used them. As for a compression test, I'm at 190 on all 4.
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline

251WHP//233TQ

What wideband you have? Is it a curtain cylinder that keeps misfiring?

Tuner in Training
    I have the Uego (AEM) wideband. And no, its a random misfire code. I use the interceptor scan gauge to read everything, and under the misfire screen that displays all the cylinders, it misfires all over the place. Even the cylinders that don't exist in the car (5,6,7, and 8). So to me, the accuracy of that part of the scanner is questionable.
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline

251WHP//233TQ

Make a scanner to read all four cylinders for misfires and see which is doing it most. Want to change injector settings to see if that helps?

Okay just looked at your log and you need a better config lol. I did see a spot that had a really bad ltft that needs to be fixed. Try this config out and see if you like it. There is a few custom pids in there that won't work unless you make them.

Tuner in Training
    Ok cool. The car is sitting on jacks for the next few days, but when it gets the new suspension, I'll load that tune and see what it does. Thanks
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline

251WHP//233TQ

That's actually a configuration for your scanner.

laser, i just checked out your configuration and i was wondering what custom pid you have set up for the maf afr error. thats the only one that i dont have setup properly under my tables. (except the maf and ve for e85, but i dont need that) everything else i understand.

thanks

You can actually just use the one that is in hps software mine just helps with people using the a/c pressure switch.

okay cool. i was wondering why it would not show it, but i have the pro edition. so that makes sense. i like the configuration. its more organized looking than mine was, if that makes sense lol

Quote Originally Posted by GM COBALT SC SS View Post
    okay cool. i was wondering why it would not show it, but i have the pro edition. so that makes sense. i like the configuration. its more organized looking than mine was, if that makes sense lol
    Spent time changing it till I got what I like.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by laser_racer View Post
    Okay just looked at your log and you need a better config lol. I did see a spot that had a really bad ltft that needs to be fixed. Try this config out and see if you like it. There is a few custom pids in there that won't work unless you make them.
    So I just tried loading the config and it says I need to download an updated version. I thought that 2.22 was the latest. At least that was the link that I was given.
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline

251WHP//233TQ

there is a 2.23 beta out that you need to download. you have to email support to get it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GM COBALT SC SS View Post
    there is a 2.23 beta out that you need to download. you have to email support to get it.
    Ah, good to know. Thanks man.

EDIT: I actually found the link to it in my customer center.
    Last edited by Vyperpunk; 03-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    '07 Saturn Ion Redline

251WHP//233TQ