Thread: What is TRULY required to perform a CASE relearn?

Advanced Tuner

What is TRULY required to perform a CASE relearn?

First, I'm sorry for the cross-post. I posted 3 different threads in the past 3 days and not received a single reply on any of them. When I bought HPT a huge reason was because of the reportedly amazing forum where there is so much participation and so many people willing to help. Hoping for a little more action in this section. If a mod or someone wants to delete my other post that is fine by me. I wold have done it myself if I had permission.

I have an LS2 in a custom application that does not need or use many of the things listed in the instructions. So my question is, what of the below are REQUIRED for the CASE relearn to complete successfully and what is just BS listed for safety reasons?

Per VCM Scanner help files:

CASE Learn: To use the CASE learn function please follow these steps:
    1. Put the vehicle into park (auto) or neutral (manual) - NP, but I don't have a PNP switch, so is the VCM looking for that signal or is this just telling idiots to be safe?
    2. Turn off all accessories and A/C. - NP, I have no accessories or AC.
    3. Turn the vehicle off.
    4. Apply the parking brake. - I have no parking brake and therefore no parking brake switch. Is the computer looking for one?
    5. Press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal depressed during the entire procedure. REQUIRED for successful test completion - I have brakes but no brake lights and therefore do not need a brake switch. Do I have to apply power to the terminal at the VCM to trick it into thinking I have the brakes depressed?
    5. Start the vehicle and let it idle.
    6. Press Begin.
    7. Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff (around 4000-5000 RPM's) over a period of about 4 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle. - I have an LS2 and have not modified the fuel cutoff settings. They say my cutoff is 6600 rpm???
    8. Allow the engine to come back to an idle.
    9. Turn the ignition off for at least 15 seconds. This step is required for the VCM to store the newly learned configuration.

Thanks for the help.

J. J.

Advanced Tuner
    I have done a case learn with hpt and in my application it hit fuel cut around 4500 is my memory but if your setup doesnt know its in park that could be an issue (hitting 6600 lol).

also when you complete it it doesnt give you any indication it is completed or it has worked from my exp. you just hope since you did everything it asked that it did it.

a lot of times when people dont reply to a post its because they dont know your answers ( maybe I shouldnt have posted....) this forum is pretty active but since it sounds like you have put the ls2 in an old car or something along those lines you may not find anyone on here that has done precisely what you have done. you may want to try the "hybrids" section over on ls1 tech where there is a huge amount of activity (posts) daily of people putting ls based engines in every car you could think of with every trans/mods/ etc... there is a lot of info there.

A lot of people here are still tuning in the platform the respective engine came in.
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks, this thread helped a lot.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...ase-learn.html

2 more questions though:

1. Some people say the CASE learn affects how the vehicle runs, others say it is only used for diagnostics. There is a thread on LS1tech.com where a guy had a random misfire code P0300 at idle and performed a CASE relearn and fixed it. I am having the exact problem and have reason to believe that is the reason because my ECM had to be replaced and was flashed without the engine running, thus has never learned my engine's crank.

2. I have heard that there is some sort of bug in HPT that only allows the relearn to perform successfully if the default units within HPT are set to decimal. Is this still true?

J. J.