Thread: Need help making decision on which direction to go with tuning and fuel setup

Need help making decision on which direction to go with tuning and fuel setup

Here is the situation. I have a 2006 GTO (stock) that I am installing a turbocharger on. It is a MP T70 w/ .96 AR. My goal now is to run 5-7psi w/ intercooler. So far I have Siemens Deka 60's and I plan to get a performance fuel pump. I know I can pretty much get away with that for my fuel system with my current power goals. I intend on running the custom 2-bar SD tune. I have a couple scenarios that I am considering.

1) Slap in the injectors and pump, set the IFR to 63.5 across the board and enter other injector data (short PW adder, min inj PW,ect). Then start to tune and proceed to, from what I have come to understand, “rape my tune”. I understand this this not the recommended method but is somewhat common. Especially at my power level.

2) The next option would be to do the same as above with the exception of just throwing in 63.5. Instead scale my tune for the 60’s by working over all the tables’ air flow and get the proper values in my IFR vs. Kpa table. This should prevent drivability issues because I can address the injector change across all the tables that use it, instead of just changing a few to “make it run”.

3) Buy some fuel rails, install referenced regulator (already have one) run a return to the tank and dial back my fuel pressure to 48 psi or so (can remember exactly I figured it out at one point). Bringing the injectors flow rate down to the IFR ceiling of 63.5 then put that value in my IFR vs. Kps table across the board. Then work over the rest of the injector settings until the car drives like stock out of boost. I am assuming with the correct injector data and keeping the IFR under the limit, the new bigger injectors should “act” just like the stock ones. Then I can move into tuning the boost or power enrichment side then timing.

I am leaning towards option 3 primarily because scaling to me seems a little overwhelming! I think I get it but I feel like I am likely to miss something but I suppose if you take your time and open up every single table then double check everything it shouldn’t be so bad. The other reason I like option 3 is that it is just plain better, easier to tune and allows more room to grow. Although, I don’t want to go through all the extra work and expense if it’s just not necessary.
    Last edited by mefreema; 03-06-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: subscribing
    2006 GTO M6 T76 Turbo Intercooled

5 to 7 psi
    you dont need 2bar sd
    60 injectors will be great
    if i were in your shoes i wouldnt do anything for the fuel system ,, i will just leave it stock and add boost a pump

i runned on 2008 C6 magnacharger STOCK fuel system only 42 injectors
    520 RWHP 512 Trq on 5 PSI
    didnt tocuh the fuel system at all
    was easy to tune ,, just like a normal car with the maf

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

Well that sounds much easier and would save me $100 in credits to boot! I was considering a MAF tune but I hear it is real easy to hit the ceiling and max out the GTO MAF. I also hear that partial boost and transition in and out of boost is harder to tune with a MAF. Of course this is what I have heard, I have no practical experience.

I think I can get a fuel pump for $100 to $175 depending on which one i get 255lph to 340lph. It looks like the BAP goes for around $230. Sorry I am cheap but I like your ideas. Keep them coming, educate me.

Thanks for you input!

you can always go to bigger maf incase something happened ,,
    i runned 10X cannot remember the maf size 101 or 102
    and i had 720 RWHP on dyno with 402 F1c
    then i increased boost to around 16 psi
    and had 730 rwhp on 5700 rpm because the car was spining ,, didnt see the real number
    all of that in maf
    but to tune it goood
    dont make the blow off close to the MAF
    u will have a problem then

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

I also posted on LS1GTO and LS1tech and you are spot on. Everyone is saying the same thing, at that power level just go MAF. I will run a drop in pump, my 60's and keep the MAF. I think there is a MAF patch I can apply that will give me a little more hz to work with.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by mefreema; 03-08-2012 at 07:36 AM.