Thread: Guy wants my old Version 1.7.0 disc??

Advanced Tuner

Question Guy wants my old Version 1.7.0 disc??

Is there any harm or risk to me and/or my licensing to give someone my old, original Version 1.7 HPTuners disc?

They said they already have an interface and cable, but want to make my old software into a BIN file and somehow use it to tune with??? No idea what that means. I do know I do not want any crazy stuff happening with my current software/licensing or whatever...

So...is there any risk to me or any loss to HPTuners to give someone my old disc?
    Last edited by rel3rd; 03-02-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Tuner in Training
    Your licensing is associated with the key that is generated by HPT, not the software.

HPT doesn't allow access to much of the 3800 PCM.

And they rightfully have no interest in spending the time on mapping it out further.

Namely because the 3800 crowd is well past its peak.

I'm not going to waste their resources on something zero potential for a return on their investment.
    Last edited by matt5112; 03-01-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Where's the official response from Bill and or other proprietors on this?

What sorts of monkey business are you implying? That's jumping the gun a little don'tcha think there fella?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1.7 disks were only issued with old serial interfaces and the licenses were stored in the software itself, I talked to him via email and advised him that if he has a bad feeling about it that it would be wise to side with caution.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    Where's the official response from Bill and or other proprietors on this?

What sorts of monkey business are you implying? That's jumping the gun a little don'tcha think there fella?
    Bill's "official response" is quoted below, and as I told matt5112 via private message on LS1tech, I was sorry and didn't feel comfortable giving up a disc that has my licensing info on it. But none of this is really any of your business anyway, is it....fella? Not sure what your original "well that was dumb" pre-edit reply meant , but it's all water under the bridge now as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    1.7 disks were only issued with old serial interfaces and the licenses were stored in the software itself, I talked to him via email and advised him that if he has a bad feeling about it that it would be wise to side with caution.
    Thanks again for the email replies and the reply here Bill. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 03-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

I was not aware licensing information was associated with the software with that version of HPT.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Bill's "official response" is quoted below, and as I told matt5112 via private message on LS1tech, I was sorry and didn't feel comfortable giving up a disc that has my licensing info on it. But none of this is really any of your business anyway, is it....fella? Not sure what your original "well that was dumb" pre-edit reply meant , but it's all water under the bridge now as far as I am concerned.

Thanks again for the email replies and the reply here Bill. I appreciate it.
    The detail that licensing information was indeed associated with the disc was not made known to me in that message. Thus following up here.

Given that information, I completely understand your decision and agree with your course of action in the matter.
    Last edited by matt5112; 03-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Bill's "official response" is quoted below
    It was not prior to.

But none of this is really any of your business anyway, is it....fella? Not sure what your original "well that was dumb" pre-edit reply meant
    I had a form of involvement here. Refrain from telling me what is my business and what isn't, fella.

Dumb was destroying the disc.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matt5112 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

I was not aware licensing information was associated with the software with that version of HPT.

The detail that licensing information was indeed associated with the disc was not made known to me in that message. Thus following up here.

Given that information, I completely understand your decision and agree with your course of action in the matter.
    I edited my original post above deleting the questionability of why you wanted the disc. I believe that you were not knowingly trying to do anything wrong. Once again, sorry I wasn't able to help you out. Thanks for understanding.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 03-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    Dumb was destroying the disc.
    Given his licensing information was associated with it, no it wasn't.

I edited my original post above deleting the questionability of why you wanted the disc. I believe that you were not knowingly trying to do anything wrong. Once again, sorry I wasn't able to help you out. Thanks for understanding.
    Not a problem at all.

Cheers