Thread: S10 Swap LQ9 6.0 with 4L80E Questions

Tuner in Training

S10 Swap LQ9 6.0 with 4L80E Questions

Hi guys,
    Really close to finishing my 89 S10 Blazer swap and wondering which direction I should go as far as a computer and tune.

2002 LQ9 6.0 with 799 heads (LS2) and 2004 LS6 Cam
    2000 4L80 out of a Chev van Rebuilt, stock Van high stall converter

Bought a stand alone harness from PSI Conversion already wired for 4L80.Blue and Red.

All of my sensors, TAC Module, Gas pedal and throttle body as well as computer are from a 99 Corvette DBW with 6 speed.
    Also went with a 2004 ZO6 5 wire MAF, unscreened stock.

Questions:

Can I just use say a computer out of a 6.0 Pickup or say Van that came with 4L80, and how does that effect my Corvette pedal and TAC module can I tune it for that, is it different in the computer for these parts as far as signal truck to car?

Use the 99 Corvette computer and do a segment swap for 4L80?

Using the 5 wire ZO6 MAF which harness is already wired for as opposed to stock which was 3 wire, how different is it calibrated then say a stock 99 Corvette MAF.

Bought HP Tuners and have been reading and trying to familiarize myself with the product and its capabilities.

A little confused at this point as to which would be easiest route to go with and make work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thnx
    John
    Last edited by John2948; 02-26-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John2948 View Post
    ... Using the 5 wire ZO6 MAF which harness is already wired for as opposed to stock which was 3 wire, how different is it calibrated then say a stock 99 Corvette MAF ...
    To answer your MAF question - a 5 wire MAF is actually an integrated sensor - both MAF & IAT. A 3 wire MAF would be accompanied by a separate IAT sensor. The '96-'04 S10 used separate MAF & IAT sensors.

Given your collection of components, the MAF and VE tables will require recalibration - despite which base tune you use as a starting point.

Before deciding which PCM / OS to use - there are two areas you need to consider:
    • Electric cooling fans - Yes or No - PCM controlled Yes or No ?
    • A/C - will the vehicle have A/C, and do you also want the PCM to turn on the electric fans based on A/C pressure ?
    Or are you are planning on using a separate stand alone fan controller with A/C input ?
    Last edited by Shrek; 02-26-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: - typo

Tuner in Training
    I'll be using a Vintage Air setup in the truck and yes the harness is wired for the fans to work through the computer,already setup with a relay just need to wire it. From what I've heard the Vintage Air unit can be wired to turn fans on without computer
    There is nothing in the truck now as far as stock wiring other then lights,wipers. I'm using Auto Meter guages and a complete stand alone harness made for my application.
    Thnx for info

Your wiring harness has the Red / Blue connectors - which means it has been configured for a '99-'02 style P01 PCM (512 Kb). Different platforms (truck / Camaro / Corvette) handle A/C and E-fans in different ways - despite sometimes using the same OS.

If your Vintage Air system is a complete stand alone - then you could use whatever calibration (platform) best suited your needs. If it is not, then you have some choices.

Any platform will operate the E-fans based on ECT - so no problem there.

Truck calibrations (P01 PCM) will not operate the E-fans based on A/C pressure - as trucks of that era didn't use an A/C pressure sensor (not until 2003 and the P59 PCM).

Camaro calibrations (P01 PCM) will do both, and the A/C request signal is a simple ground of a PCM circuit - but Camaros were DBC, not DBW.

Corvette calibrations (P01 PCM) will do both. I don't have manuals earlier than 2002 - but I believe the Corvette used a serial data input to the PCM for the A/C request signal - not sure of this one.

Tuner in Training
    Yes Vintage Air will be complete stand alone, so your suggesting to me doing just a segment swap to 4L80 trans on my Corvette computer and tune from there. I've built plenty of LS motors and such but this will be my first time tuning one.Trying to to learn as much as possiible before I go downloading anything. I guess if I can use the 99 LS1 Vette tune to start the engine then I can see what parameters need to be changed by reading and getting to understand the program.
    Question so if I did use a truck computer then I would lose my Corveette DBW and cannot program it in to work with the parts that I'm using, or can it be programmed into a truck piece

All '99-'02 P01 PCMs are compatible with both DBC and DBW. I would recommend using a 2002 Corvette automatic transmission calibration as a base - then swapping in the 4L80 segment.

In 2002 Corvette, Camaro, truck, and SUV all primarily used OS 12212156 - making ths a segment swap friendly OS.

If your APP and TAC are both early Corvette pieces - these are both compatible with '97-'04 Corvette calibrations.

Tuner in Training
    So I need to find a 2002 computer, its different then a 99? and also find one with auto in it. Thought I could do segment swap to 4L80 from what I have now and be good 99 Vette with 6 Speed, still learning about this tuning stuff,lol.

So I need to find a 2002 computer, its different then a 99? and also find one with auto in it. Thought I could do segment swap to 4L80 from what I have now and be good 99 Vette with 6 Speed, still learning about this tuning stuff,lol.
    Any '99-'02 512 Kb P01 PCM will do. The '01-'02 models will have the semi-famous "0411" as the last 4 digits of the Service Number. The '99-'00 models will have a Service Number ending in "896".

You will then need to source a 2002 Corvette LS1 4L60 calibration (should use OS 12212156). Then source a 2002 truck 4L80 calibration with the same OS. The segment swap can be done for you by support.

Beginning with a calibration from an automatic Corvette should make some of the intial tuning a little easier - especially in gear idle, etc.

Tuner in Training
    Ahhh, ok now I'm catching on,lol. Thnx. So a calibration the same as a segment swap? I need the auto Corvette in my computer first so it will be two segments swaps is that correct. Another question does it matter that the computer has 99 LS1 engine and 2002 trans?

Ahhh, ok now I'm catching on,lol. Thnx. So a calibration the same as a segment swap? I need the auto Corvette in my computer first so it will be two segments swaps is that correct. Another question does it matter that the computer has 99 LS1 engine and 2002 trans?
    The PCM can be from anything that used a 512 Kb P01. For example, a 2001 or 2002 S10 - and it doesn't matter what the original calibration was - you will simply Write Entire / Full Flash the new calibration into the PCM.

The segment swap is done by support - you email them an automatic Corvette tune, and a truck tune with a 4L80 (using the same OS) - and they will send you back your Corvette tune setup for a 4L80.

You then flash this tune (calibration) into the PCM.