Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Issues with lsj

He is going to check it on his lunch. I'll let you know what he tells me.

It was like .797. I would bring it down to like .104 if its like 80s. What size injectors are in the car and fuel anyways?

Advanced Tuner
    I think 60s. Pump.

Okay I would just drop it down to .104 and call it good. That should help idle out.

Advanced Tuner
    It should. I didnt realize that it was at that number previous. Thanks for catching it to help out!

He said he can hear the pump turn on then it just clicks and shuts off. I think he is hearing something else, throttle body maybe?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that'll be the throttle plate. If he doesnt hear a hum or water in the neck moving the pump is dead. I would tell him to run normal and dont WOT until fixed.

HNRClothing - I have a quick question. Looking over the tune you suggested you made adjustments to the idle spark coast down and increased a lot of the timing overall in areas vs what gm has generally. Just wondering what this helps and or why you choose to do this. If I recall right the timing is nearly doubled what gm stage 2 would be. I think stg2 is like 10 and you have 22 for a lot of the lower rpm cells.

This might be something I play around with if it helps overall, thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    22 isnt the magical number its just the number that worked on my previous tune on someones car. Sometimes its 19 sometimes its 24 and, like my car, its 40.. (But that is because of something else entirely)

The coastdown table is typically the timing table the ECU looks at when you are in neutral and coasting. (down a hill, to a stop light, etc) If you use the GMS2 or stock values the car tends to surge (hunt) for the idle, which sometimes seems like the car is going to die. Changing the coastdown timing will allow the RPM to drop and it not fall on its face. With the timing ~20-24 the idle will drop, catch around idle, and should sit. This will make for a much better driving experience, guaranteed.
    Last edited by HNRClothing; 03-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    40 wTf? O_o
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    40 wTf? O_o
    haha my cams dont like 20-25* like most cars. It may be 35*.

HNRClothing - Thanks for the information. Have you tested out adjusting the timing tables in the cruising cells for gas mileage efficiency at all? I only ask because I am running e30 currently on my TVS lsj'd and I have adjusted the cruising timing a lot higher and I swear it helps with gas mileage, but then again I can run stage 2 and get roughly the same mileage so its tough to say. Granted the car does feel better with higher timing in the mid range with e30, although it could be in my head, but I doubt it.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, since I am 100% E85 I have maxed my timing (ECU wont command anymore) when cruising and yes, it should help MPG. I am currently figuring out my mileage on the new MAP. I rarely get time to tune mine since I tune others or help tuning others. haha

sorry to thread jack, but using the ltft + stft custom pid is used for the lsj in tuning cruising correct?? for maf and ve?? i just want to make sure..

hnr- your maxed timing is not neccessary, i bet if you dyno tuned you would find the max torque per load only requires x ammount of timing and yes with e85 being 33% less poerful than 91pump you will need more but shouldnt be at 40* and if your decelerating with that ignition timing your wasting your time adjusting it as it shuts the injectors off most of the time. i think the name is "max static load torque" or something like that and its actually very helpfull when starting from scratch.

ill look up the name of the dyno test its in one of these paper things i got laying around everywhere.
    edit: static load optimum torque curve test
    hold engine in one specific cell you wish to edit and raise the timing 1 at a time until the torque is at max value as long as kr does not interfere
    and now you have a torque curve for that condition. to properly tune ecu's takes a ton of time and obviously money to be on the dyno unless you own one.....i wish i did own one id be on it testing peoples theories and rewriting full tunes all the time.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-19-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    My main timing is not 40* its in the 20's. I am talking about coastdown, normal peoples is 20-25 mine needs 40*. I do mess with the coastdown for instances I need to be coasting in neutral, just makes the driving experience much better.

so timing where there is no fuel being injected still doesnt make sense.......do you have defco?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes but DFCO isnt always activated. If you have the car in neutral DFCO will not activate. When the car is coasting in neutral is when the coastdown table tweaking is needed if the idle hunts while coming to a stop.

I have the same hunting on coastdown and played a bit with this table to not much effect. Will try your raised timing values when my car is back together. :-)