Thread: Insanely weak spark on 2012 Camaro SS (LS3/M6)

Potential Tuner

Insanely weak spark on 2012 Camaro SS (LS3/M6)

This is a new one for me to run across, was curious if anyone else has hit this on a 2012 or even in general for the LS3/M6 combos.

2012 Camaro SS, it breaks up/misses under WOT pulls, originally came in with full SLP header/exhaust package & K&N intake. SLP's were making contact with frame rail on passenger side and with steering coupler boot on driver side, owner opted to swap them out for a full American Racing Header 1 & 7/8" package w/ 3" X and 2.5" axle back. Intake was swapped out for a RotoFab intake. Owner also opted to do a small cam kit upgrade, equivalent to TSP torquer v2 if memory serves me.

On to the dyno it goes, cars breaking up under WOT with TR55's in it with stock timing and good fuel. No leaks, no unmetere air, no nothing. Before any actual power tuning could be done the solution in the breaking up was to tighten up the gap to .26 if memory serves me right. Then it was able to pull clean and be tuned out. Finished around 450whp/420tq or so if i recall.

Alls well, guys enjoying his car, decides he wants more and comes back for a nitrous express plate kit. Kit's installed and wired up, plugs change to a TR7 and go to the .26 gap again. Miss under WOT is back when on the bottle. The car just acts like it blows spark out with ease.

Didnt' know if anyone else had encountered this, 1st time i've seen this on any gen 3 or gen 4 motor, typically ignition strength has been a zero concern item on a GM LS engine. Definately open to suggestions on this one as it's an odd one.

Advanced Tuner
    only time my car ever had a break up issue on the dyno, one of the spark plug boots weren't snapped all the way on. after that it pulled clean to 7k

Broken or cracked spark plug. Especially if you just installed headers. Happens everyonce in a while around here.
    G-FORCE Motorsports
    1941 CR 129 Pearland TX 77581
    281-993-5451 PH 281-993-5421 FAX

www.gforce-tx.com
    [email protected]
    PCM Tuner LSX and SCT <-> How Much Force Can You Take??
    2009 CTS-V 630 RWHP 10.90 @ 129mph

Potential Tuner
    Has happened with three sets of plugs (original TR55's untill 26 gap) and two sets of TR7's. Swapped coil packs too. Only thing not swapped/tested thus far is wires. Guess we can try that next.

Advanced Tuner
    tr7's? yuck!