Thread: Electrical Gremlins?

Advanced Tuner

Electrical Gremlins?

Just came back from the garage with a couple of problems and wasn't able to diagnose in such a short time. I put my maf back in and am getting a p0103 code. Put it on the solstice pro and at first it showed that the maf wasn't reading anything. He checked something else and went back and then the maf was now reading. I also have a p0343, I replaced it a few years back after the cam swap and that lasted a couple weeks then it was back on so....F it. With that code, the same problem, the scanner at first showed nothing that all of a sudden it was showing that the sensor was reading correct. He looked at the vacuum and at idle it was showing 30.5" of vacuum. He says it should not be that low. So we hit the gas and that number didn't change. There is also a noticable missfire but was bringing up no codes. You could hear as well as feel the stumble. What could all this be releated to? I have checked all spark plugs and they look good. Could my computer be going on the fritz? Also according to the scanner, both codes popped up at the same time by the counter. Not sure what to log but here is a log from today. I could feel the misfire bit nothing registered.
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

Advanced Tuner
    I unplugged the power to the coil packs one by one to hear a change. I got to 6 and 8 and no noticable change in the engine at idle. I put a spark light tester between the spark plug wire and the spark plug. I had spark. So I went to my misfire config and modified it to add a couple parameters and logged which is what I send you. You will have to open it with the new config file. My first log I saved it wrong, I was looking at the current firing cylinder and noticed there was no #8. So I re-did it again and that was feb18. I noticed it wasn’t registering the current firing cylinder. So I saved it shut down the truck and started it and logged another as feb 18.2 which now showes the current firing cylinder. In my first botched log I notices the count in the 2 cam signals were off by a few counts and were around the 30’s and then caught on and went up to the 50’s. In the two new logs its recording nothing. I also noticed that the mass air flow in g/secs is not registering. Even more confused now.
    Last edited by tweeder; 02-19-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Any idears? Anything I need to log for more info for y'all?

Advanced Tuner
    Check the grounds on the back of the engine, start it and wiggle that harness and all the grounds behind the intake manifold, there are 3 back there, i've seen em break in the insulation not showing anything bad until wiggled and broke loose.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Asylumwarp View Post
    Check the grounds on the back of the engine, start it and wiggle that harness and all the grounds behind the intake manifold, there are 3 back there, i've seen em break in the insulation not showing anything bad until wiggled and broke loose.
    Thanks will do.

Advanced Tuner
    I loaded up my tuners tune that he took a look at and noticed that my misfire tables were not stock and corrected them. On my way to work this morning I scanned for codes and noticed that I now have a p0300. So I took a look at yesterdays log as never got to look and noticed that there are multiple misfires all across the board. It doesn’t make sense that in the current firing cylinder, theres no cylinder 8 but in the misfire section it showes its active. But with alot of misfires.

Advanced Tuner
    Well had some luck this weekend. *I had a broken purple wire on the drivers side small wiring harness that attaches to the valve cover between coils 3&5. *I also found that the injector plug to injector #1 was loose and came off easily. *Just fixing that stopped a lot of random misfire over the majority of the cylinders. *I took it for a drive and when it started to really misfire I noticed cylinder #8 was off the charts. *So I went home and changed coils 3 with 8 and went for another drive. *The misfire followed the coil to cylinder #3. *I did notice that on the coil what looks*like the outer metal casing has a small wire with a clip that clips onto the fins. *I can move that around but on the other coil I can't. *I will be replacing hat coil. *I also took off the intake and pulled the camshaft position sensor. *The bottom was covered with oil and sludge and who know what else. *I stuck a bore scope down there to look at the reluctor ring. *It had crud on it as well so I stuck an air gun down there and blew it out. *I rotated the crank by hand a few times and it looks clean now so hopefully that's the end of the p0343 code. *But one thing still puzzles me is that in the pid "current firing cylinder" it still has no sensible firing order, way to scattered. *It still has a "0" cylinder and no #8. I did check all grounds and all looked good.

Advanced Tuner
    I changed out the sensor with the original one and it was good for a couple days. I also wiggled the wiring harness but nothing changed on the scanner. I'm thinking I'll have to pull the cam and take a closer look at the reluctor ring.

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone have any idea as to why the current firing order is all scattered?

Advanced Tuner
    Ttt..

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone

Advanced Tuner
    Ttt..