Thread: Fuel tuning on Supercharged W-Bodies. MAF vs VE relationship

Tuner

Fuel tuning on Supercharged W-Bodies. MAF vs VE relationship

A friend of mine has done a code disassembly of the 03 Grand Prix PCM for a 3800SC series III engine. He has evidence to suggest that the VE table (on the w-body PCM) is used only as a backup for fueling in case of MAF failure. He maintains that under normal operation, the fueling control is derived mainly from the MAF output signal and PE tables while the VE tables on these PCM's are not used unless a backup reference is needed in the case of MAF failure. My tests seem to indicate that this is so. Can anyone confirm this?

Senior Tuner
    Many, many discussions about this over the years. Your PCM will reference it through transitions, and also while in OL. A VE tune in the idle region is necessary for some builds, ie: big cam... etc. Do the VE tune, it's worth it if the MAF fails and will help the idle region quite a bit. As I said, Ive seen quite a few guys test this out over the years, and I will always do a VE tune now just to keep things tight and proper. On my v-6, a 3400, the VE table is not supposed to be referenced unless MAF failure, of so I was told. Had an issue of a lean spike between cruise and PE mode. I finally gave in and did just a rough VE tune on it and poof~ spike gone.
    I have also seen v-6's just as you say there, adjusting VE to the tune of even zeroing it out had no effect on the scan or trims at all. In the end, some do, some don't. imo, tune it anyway, it's there for a reason
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner
    I guess the argument of the relationship of the VE table to overall fueling will go on and may be vehicle dependent. I am of the opinion that on some GM PCM's the table is used as a reference table for the MAF during normal engine operation and on others like the w-body cars, it may be there to be used only as a backup in the case of catastropic MAF failure. I believe that Bill from HP would know for sure (as he owns a 3800SC).

Advanced Tuner
    if you have ever had a maf fail on a L67 without a tuned ve that has some basic mods like 3.5 , intake , headers you will always do a ve tune afterward - happened to me 2 states from home - they dont want to run very well
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    if you have ever had a maf fail on a L67 without a tuned ve that has some basic mods like 3.5 , intake , headers you will always do a ve tune afterward - happened to me 2 states from home - they dont want to run very well
    Must agree that the VE table needs some tuning on modified engines BUT we must also recognize that the VE table serves no purpose other than to provide back up fueling values in case of MAF failure. During idle and cruise conditions the MAF signal/tables is the primary input for fueling with some help from the fuel modifiers and PE table at WOT. I don't know about other vehicles but on the L67/L32 PCM's this is the case.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    I have never had stock VE give me many problems other than a funny idle at times.

had a MAF go bad on a L67 once on the highway the car would not go over 20 MPH so i got out and unplugged the MAF and the car a lot better it was left like that until we could get a new MAF for it. After that the VE table was tuned just in case it happened again.

Senior Tuner
    I just looked at my first V6 tune file yesterday, and the VE
    table was all 0.80 - which makes it pretty much garbage.
    Is this the norm, stock '99 Bonneville?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue View Post
    I just looked at my first V6 tune file yesterday, and the VE
    table was all 0.80 - which makes it pretty much garbage.
    Is this the norm, stock '99 Bonneville?
    NO!

Pull a tune from the repository to get a comparison.

3.8 or 3.1?
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Senior Tuner
    It's a 3.8 NA car that's just had a supercharged 3.8 swapped
    in (and now gets dismal MPG and performance). I've pulled a
    few repository tunes to draw from. The OS in this car was one
    HPTuners didn't support, so they made me a new beta version
    that will at least open it. But I see a very sparse set of params
    when I do, much less than I'm used to seeing on a V8. I don't
    know enough yet to say if it's normal and crappy, or somehow
    wrong.