Thread: Force motor current

Tuner in Training

Force motor current

Comparing an impala table as well as a 99 gt's table to my 04 comp g table and am noticing large differences. My main question is why is 96 so much apart. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Which one belongs to what?

IIRC, with the FMC the lower the number the less currant is on the solenoid (or something like that) and it clamps down better/stronger. Making better/more clamping pressure on the clutches.
    Again IIRC..... and it's been awhile.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Tuner in Training
    The first image is the 99 and the 2nd is the 04. I have been reading since I posted this and you are correct on the less current the more clamping force. My only question now would be what if I was top edit these values to lower numbers in some tables? The shift should firm up correct? Any ill effect?

Advanced Tuner
    I run Lower numbers within my normal operating temps. I use my car for work, so temps hardly fluctuates too much.
    If I/you wanted, ya could up the clamping force in doing that, there might be some undue force put on hard parts. So use your best judgment.
    I feel that increasing the clamping force (lower number) I have, to some extent, less wear. Which lowers heat generated and "promotes" longevity.
    It could also be a band aid on high-mileage transmissions that are slipping.

IMHO,
    I suspect, two things with those number you posted.
    1- one car is heavier
    2- GM realized that changing the numbers made a better feeling car, and a little longevity.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Tuner in Training
    Alright, i may play with it. My trans has about 20k on it since I shattered the flex plate and blew out 2nd haha.

Also if you wouldn't mind posting your table I would like to take a look at it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dthreap; 03-07-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a pic just for reference.
    The #'s represent the difference of Stock Vs. what I have now. Lower number = more clamping power. ( for future readers, those that "want to know")

Come to think of it.... I should lower the #'s in the 198* range also, but my car hardly gets there. I have a super duty Hayden trans cooler. Even in the hottest summer days, it hardly gets above 180*

Hey if anyone else wants to chyme in and comment, please do.
    I am by no means an expert, just sharing.

i've got questions...

whats the differnce between "positive" and "negitive"?

and how much would you lower the values? my tables are about as high as shown in the OP.
    Nick
    1997 Grand Am 2.4L. (gaownersclub.com)
    2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 3.5L (355Naton.net)
    2009 Harley-Davidson XL883C (XLForum.net)

The 4T65E trans uses two different pressure control solenoids from 97-02 and 03 up.
    99 Regal- CT PT 61 turbo, IC, 65# injectors, 1.9s, LT1 MAF, Custom built Trans, 3000 stall converter, 11.84 @ 117 1.81 60'

is there a difference between them? like one does up shift, other does down shift?
    Nick
    1997 Grand Am 2.4L. (gaownersclub.com)
    2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 3.5L (355Naton.net)
    2009 Harley-Davidson XL883C (XLForum.net)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeyez View Post
    i've got questions...

whats the differnce between "positive" and "negitive"?

and how much would you lower the values? my tables are about as high as shown in the OP.
    Bringing back an old post...what is the difference between the positive an negative tables?

Also, the x axis is representing what? I understand that the inputs are values for the current, the y axis is for the trans temp, but what does the x axis represent?

Thanks!

- Steve
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX T/C
    Current: T62-1, S1X, GMR goodies

Tuner in Training
    The x axis is line pressure.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthreap View Post
    The x axis is line pressure.
    I'm going to assume line pressure, on a percentage scale? 0-100% of whatever the max pressure is in the max pressure table?

Thank you

- Steve
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX T/C
    Current: T62-1, S1X, GMR goodies