Thread: LSJ Without exhaust camshaft sensor ????

Tuner in Training

LSJ Without exhaust camshaft sensor ????

Hi,

I would like to install a set of CAM COMP camshaft on a Cobalt Supercharge LSJ. The Camshaft is not the same length, for L61 Ecotec engine application. I can install simply by plugging the last gallery of oil.

My only complication is that the engine is slow to start when the camshaft sensor is not connected. Is there a way to reduce the startup time when sensor is not in use? Is sensor is necessary for proper engine operation?

Scuse me for my bad english !!!

Thanks

Patrick

Tuner in Training
    What show your timing advance with unplug Exh. CPS ?
    Boost Lover

head over to zzperformance.com. they have lsj specific cams that have the cam sensor issue fixed. they are the only ones that sell these cams.
    2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged
    60lb injectors, 2.7" pulley, ported blower, dual pass intercooler with option B, cobra heat exchanger, devils own alcohol injection, clear image mid length header, 2 1/2" catless exhaust, zzp intake, powell motorsport "rotated" mounts, hurst shifter, Pedders springs, ss/tc struts, hawk pads and r1 rotors

Tuner in Training
    Thank you but no one has really answered my question! I know that many are already installed this camshaft type. Are its people remains a start-up slow?

Many vehicles operate without this (camshaft sensor). All works well without (in acceleration and normal opération). The only problem is a Start up slow. Sometimes 3 4 seconds before the engine is running.

Thank you !!!

Tuner in Training
    Unplug the Exh. CPS can only influence the Injection&Spark Timing. If your timing is too early or late, it can cause long cranking time.

What show your timing advance with unplug Exh. CPS ? Compare it with plug and unplug Exh. CPS. Check especially during the Cranking.

I'm not sure about it but spark timing is based on CPS with correction factor of Crankshaft Position Sensor. I don't know also if the PCM use the Idle spark during de cranking...
    Boost Lover

Without cam sensor the ecm has no idea what the compression stroke is. I''m told that after the 1st start-up fails, the ecm switches to the other "top"cylinder. Therefore the long starting time.

Tried this once with an unplugged sensor, but my LSJ engine never started. (04 Ion ecm) Should I simply try longer or is this a difference in the operating versions?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    correct the ecu is programmed to eventually change the tdc that it is trying while starting. so on a long start it says ok not working and cam sensor doesnt look good so lets try the other tdc and varoom you go.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    there is no solution then...
    Boost Lover

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    correct the ecu is programmed to eventually change the tdc that it is trying while starting. so on a long start it says ok not working and cam sensor doesnt look good so lets try the other tdc and varoom you go.
    Tried this today again and no way my LSJ will start with the cam sensor unplugged. Cranked for about 10 seconds long; nothing.
    Plugged it back in and it starts at the 1st try...

Is this fail safe behavior OS/year specific or maybe I have a cam DTC's that has a ''3-no error reported''? Could not find something obvious...

Advanced Tuner
    You are stuck in batch fire mode. Your gas mileage will also suffer greatly. You need to get the MSD saturn cam position simulator setup. That should be enough search terms to get you what you want, wait fuck that only works with wasted spark. Well, you're pretty much up shit creak, buy the right cams.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    You are stuck in batch fire mode. Your gas mileage will also suffer greatly. You need to get the MSD saturn cam position simulator setup. That should be enough search terms to get you what you want, wait fuck that only works with wasted spark. Well, you're pretty much up shit creak, buy the right cams.
    Curious then to why my 2004 Ion pcm does not seem to start in this 'back-up' batchfire mode. I cranked it for about 10 seconds and nothing, while I read here of 3-4 seconds...
    Some DTC's that are switched of in my tune? Or maybe something that GM changed in the later 2005-2006 Operating Systems?
    Why doesn't this work in my car...