Thread: 8.1 tuners

Tuner in Training

8.1 tuners

Hello all,
    I am new to HP Tuners and am starting to work on the tune on my 05 Chevy 2500HD with 8100 and Allison.

I have spent the last month searching, researching, and reading and have noticed that there aren't alot of people tuning 8100 engines.

I want to generate 2 solid tunes, 1 solid tune for pulling and 1 econo tune for driving down the highway.

The first thing I want to do is remove the torque management. I found a few threads, but they all deal with 4L transmissions. The trans tab in my stock tune (and those in the repository) is blank. Is the torque management removal for the 8100/Allison the same as 5.3/4l65E?

I am working on saving cash for training videos to help, but would like to get started before then.
    Thank you all for your information you have provided to date.
    Corey McCarthy
    2005 2500 HD: 8100 and 4.10's Stock so far
    2000 Venture: Stock

Hey Corey! I am not very familiar with the 8100, but I have had some experience with the Allison. I can help you with some trans tuning, but we would need to take it slow. First and foremost, torque management is a vital part of keeping the trans alive in my opinion. Others have different opinions, and to each his own. There are plenty of ways to skin the same cat! However, we can quicken up shift times while keeping torque management active, personally, the best of both worlds.

Now, for the 8100. The 8100 is still a gas engine, so if you really want to get going on the tuning world, buy a wideband O2 sensor and some reading material. Greg Banish has an excellent book out on the market, search Calibrated success. Read, re-read, and then re-read again before you begin changing values.

Also, gasoline tuning should yield both power and economy, so 1 GOOD tune is all that is needed. If you want a small boost in power for now, send me an email **[email protected]** with your stock tune, and we will talk about what we can do for now.
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Tuner in Training
    OK, I just got Greg Banish's book, Engine Management, Advanced Tuning and have started reading. Trying to gather the funds for the DVD's.

I have a pro MVPI and have to start without wideband O2. I feel the training is more valuable at this moment!!!

As far as the torque management, I really hate how my truck falls on its face pulling a trailer and trying to pass on 2 lane highway or climb up a hill. It does have 4.10 gears so I know mileage isn't going to be all that great, but I know it can get better!!!!

attached is my stock .bin and one that I started pulling TM out of. Also, a couple of scans I pulled while cruising on interstate.

Thanks for the input,
    Corey
    Corey McCarthy

I will take a look at them in a bit. Classes have taken priority, so I wasn't able to do much this week. Will let you know!
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Tuner in Training
    What all are you wanting to know? I've tuned a 01 6 speed and starting on a 02 with a ally.

Tuner in Training
    After reading and reading, I am confused on how to start. There is very little info regarding specific information for these engines. Is the information for the 5.3/6.0 applicable to the 8.1? Also, what is a good configuration to start datalogging at? I am trying to nail down 1 detail at a time so I can move through in a methodical fashion. (yes, I am an engineer). From everything I've read, tuning MAF is the first thing to do. Is there any tuning / corrections for the ETC system before that?
    Unfortunately we have our 2nd funeral in 3 weeks, so the funds allocated for DVD's and Wideband O2 have evaporated!!! I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before tweaking. (I like to know the reason for the change)!
    Thank you all for the help
    Corey
    Corey McCarthy

Advanced Tuner
    You really need a wideband to take full functionability and use of Hp tuners. Keep reading. Keep saving. Then once you have a wideband, lets start from there. Sorry but without it, and some people will say im wrong, but i think your chasing your tail because the narrowband o2s just dont work "good" enough to tune. They are "good" enough for crusing down the freeway and doing minor fuel adjustments over periods of time. A wideband is much faster giving you accurate readings at every point you need to tune.

Dustin

pm sent...

Potential Tuner
    HLOOO
    PLEASE I NEED HELP FOR SIEERA OR SELVERADO 2500HD _3500HD 2012
    I NEED SPEED CUT AND ADGUST TUNER
    THE VCM HP TUNER NO READE FAIL THES TRUK
    I NEED READE AM NO 23 TRUCK FOR THES PLEASE HELP
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Alright,
    I have aquired all of the tools to start properly programming my truck and van. I started removing all of the torque management and under part throttle the shifts SUCKED. Under full throttle, it was AAAWWWSOME. exactly what I had imaginined!!!
    I am trying to find out how to adjust the part throttle shift times. I have releaded the stock file to start MAF programming. If anyone has any pointers, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You all.
    Corey McCarthy

Tuner in Training
    OK, I am FED UP with throttle by wire.... Trying to tune MAF I could only get 8K hz no matter how hard I mashed the throttle!!!!!

I think I need to remove torque management before trying to tune.
    Corey McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy View Post
    OK, I am FED UP with throttle by wire.... Trying to tune MAF I could only get 8K hz no matter how hard I mashed the throttle!!!!!

I think I need to remove torque management before trying to tune.
    Try tuning one for boost! I'm having a nightmare of a time right now

Tuner in Training
    If I only want to take out 75% of the Torque Management of my 8100, do only need to multiply the spark retard vs. torque reduction by 0.25 and torque loss % vs spark retard by 1.75? If I remove 100% can I reduce the shift time and increase the shift pressure
    Corey McCarthy

Tuner in Training
    I have the 8.1 in my avy that I will be getting into tuning soon. But torque management in the allison on my diesel was ridiculous, There is one nber somewhere in the tune that says max power reduction or something like that. It was set at 90% so I changed to disabled and bam a whole new shifting truck. No more complete loss of power in shift. I am not next to my laptop now to tell you exacly what it is but would look for something like this.