Thread: 2010 5.3 silverado

2010 5.3 silverado

I also am borrowing a buddys hp tuner ! He is out of town and I am using his name on here today !
    But anyway I am looking for better gas milage and better performace ! This board seem to be very friendly ! Thank you for any help!

Kind of like saying you have borrowed a friends carpentry tools and want to build a house.

It takes a lot of reading and hands on time with the software and interface to get comfortable with it, even longer to get any good at it.

If the 2010 Silverado is stock, and there is no mechanical / electrical issue present, there is only a small margin to be gained by custom tuning - which would require a chassis dyno and WBO.

Forgot to mention it would also void the warranty if you tuned it yourself (i.e not a GM approved tune - that some kit manufacturers have negotiated with GM).

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    If the 2010 Silverado is stock, and there is no mechanical / electrical issue present, there is only a small margin to be gained by custom tuning - which would require a chassis dyno and WBO.
    I disagree with this statement. The trucks stand a lot to gain from a good tune. The carpentry reference is right on, though. There is quite a learning curve to tuning properly. You can't just pick up a laptop and HPT and do it without a lot of learning time.
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

Fighting solves everything...
    ...except partial differential equations.

Click here to combine multiple VE Logs into one.

Quote Originally Posted by axekick View Post
    ... I disagree with this statement. The trucks stand a lot to gain from a good tune ...
    I suppose it depends on your definition of "a lot". There may be 15 HP to gain on a 100% stock 5.3L - and this requires a chassis dyno.

That's a lot of time and money for 15 HP - in my view anyway. A camshaft upgrade - followed by a good tune - is definitely worthwhile.

On a stock vehicle there is more "bang for your buck" tuning the transmission parameters. You can do this yourself ... no extra equipment required ... and this can completely change your driving experience.

Just my perspective ...

With just a CAI kit and tune its more like 25-35 on the trucks. But as far as milleage, weight is your biggest handicap. Even running a tune with multiple AFR's in SD I only saw 20% gain in city (3mph) and zero on the highway. I think most of the city was from shifting point changes, and locking the converter earlier. By running leaner, you make less torque, and end up just stepping on the gas pedal harder - which increases the MAP values - which adds more fuel. That defeats the whole purpose of running leaner, so dont mess with the AFR unless you are a seasoned tuner, very little gains to be had there. Unless you have a wideband, dont even think of touching the WOT. You will most likely be able to tune the daily driving better, mostly due to the fact GM runs the trucks so damn pig rich when accelerating. But again, you need some help if this is your first tune. You dont want to go changing a bunch of stuff & hurt the motor. EX: timing - you can get detonation real easy in a heavy truck, and you dont hear it til its already 5-8 degrees of knock. So wait til someone can help you with it. Just my opinion. :-)
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Senior Tuner
    Here's a log from my new factory stock 2011 5.3 Silverado. Not sure but with as rich as 10.5s AFR and 22* of advance I would sure think there is some power left on the table. Assuming 10.5s commanded is accurate.

I would sure find out were it not for this 5 year warranty.
    Last edited by 8850; 01-20-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I would recommend you atleast lean out your WOT and increase your Enrichment Rate.

Hp Tuner VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrichment > Enrichment Rate > 2.0

Hp Tuner VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrichment > EQ Ratio vs. RPM > Modify 3,000rpm-6,500rpm See attached .xcel file

2010 Chevy 1500 Truck (Stock Tune Values)
    vs.
    2010 Chevy 1500 Truck (Modified Tune Values)

Power enrichment (Commanded AFR) example:

Stoich (14.67822) / My Recommendation (1.17) = 12.5 AFR
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 01-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com