View Poll Results: Which MAF should I choose?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • VMP Tuning's HPX

7 100.00%
  • Abaco's DBX85

0 0%

Thread: 2007 Turbo Stang Tune Update!

2007 Turbo Stang Tune Update!

Alright, I haven't wanted to post to the repository yet since I'm still tweaking this tune. Here's the mod list:

2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    3.31 gears 275/35R20 tires
    Forged 302 stroker
    Comp Cams NSR Stage I cams
    60lbs SD Injectors
    GT500 fuel pumps
    HPP Stage II turbo kit
    Garrett T67 67mm/84mm 0.70in/0.96ex T4 flange
    Tial 38mm Wastegate
    Halmann manual boost controller
    FRPP Shorties
    Spec Stage III Clutch/MGW shifter
    3" downpipe Y'ed into stock 2.5" pipes
    Straight piped
    3.5" MAF housing with stock 05+ MAF
    4" inlet 10" long cone AFM air filter
    Synapse Synchronic DV BOV
    Snow Performance Stage I Methanol kit
    Huge FMIC
    ~9psi

Here is my latest tune. There isn't much I haven't changed. Complete tune. I still have some cold start bucking issues which I think are related to my MAF being mounted in such a large pipe and possibly the MAP settings. Not sure where to start. With the itsy bitsy air filter the car had from the HPP kit, the MAF was right at the edge. Now with the AFM filter, The MAF is completely pegged in 2nd gear by 4800rpm, not to mention other gears. Car runs like an animal now.

It is very important to size your filter according to flow your car will need. Throttle response was greatly improved by the filter and the Synapse BOV, which I have setup to be open under vacuum with a filter in order to improve part throttle efficiency with the large single turbo. To anyone tuning a Ford, the Ultimate Guide will help a lot. A very important thing to me was changing the injector firing point in relation to the intake valve. I had to move it according to cam specs and it woke the car up. I estimate my car to be somewhere around 550rwhp with relatively conservative timing of 17.5* with water meth. This is based on similar cars with similar kits pegging their MAF at a similar point. No dyno in my area. Zero knock sensor activity over the noise floor. On one run, it looked like the computer added in a full degree of timing in fact!

Next up will be either a VMP HPX and their 75mm MAF housing or an Abaco DBX85. Not sure yet which one I'm gonna get. Any suggestions would help. I know everyone swears by the HPX but I am interested in the Abaco's ability to smooth airflow readings since I have a lot of bends and turns before and after the MAF in my piping.

Take a look at my tune and feel free to critique and send me some suggestions. I've learned that the biggest thing about tuning a car is a lot of trial and error. Having forced induction Fords from the factory and their tunes helps out a lot. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Tuner in Training
    Get the HPX for sure. Slot style sensors seem to work really well in these situations.
    2006 Mustang GT
    LaSota Racing Tech
    HP Tuners Ultimate Tuning Guide

Ultimately, it is up to you. Everyone seems to swear up and down that the hpx is the way to go. It will support 750-900RWHP with your current housing, and would be easier to put in... not to mention it is cheaper. I vote HPX. Proven itsself on builds similar to yours and no cutting required. The abaco seems more technologically advanced, but at a price.

Owner/Tuner Street Performance Syndicate

06 GTO: D1SC , Full Suspension, 23X .6xx lift Ed Curtis Cam, Mast Heads, Gforce 9" 4.11 Gears, Holley High Rise, Stage 12 Fuel System, Boost By Gear

01 Duramax: Blown Tranny (again) BWs467 Turbo, Head Studs, Exergy Injectors, Lift Pump, Moonshine
    2014 Taurus SHO: (Wife's Car) OR DPs, Tuned, CAI
    2006 TBSS; AWD SLP Catback, K&N CAI, Tuned

I'm looking to downside the MAF to increase resolution since at WOT my AFR isn't steady. So I would get the HPX with the VMP 75mm tube. The DBX85 is about the same size as 3.5." I'm just curious to if anyone has used the DBX and had great results with as many turns and bends in the piping as mine.

Advanced Tuner
    Is this a street driven car?

I'm not the best driver by any means, but I don't want to see this car end up in a ditch. I wish you luck at the power levels you are looking at if it will be a street driven car.

So if I get this right, you are looking to decrease the diameter of your MAF housing?
    Last edited by PSYKOSTEVO; 01-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Yes it is a street driven car. My daily driver. Turbos are pretty sedate until you step on the pedal so don't worry. My high school car was a supercharged 383 stroker 3rd Gen Camaro.

And yes, I want to increase resolution and step down in MAF diameter but use a sensor that can read more flow. Right now, the turbo pipes are 3" and the MAF housing is 3.5" with a stock 05+ slot style MAF. If I go VMP HPX, I'll get the 75mm, which is just about 3," VMP housing to reduce turbulence and increase resolution. That'll limit me to about 650rwhp but I'm not looking for more than that for my daily driver. I think 600rwhp is just fine for a daily driver. Haha.

I am interested in the Abaco DBX85 since they say it is good for up to 1000rwhp of flow. That'll give me more headroom if I decide to swap to a larger turbo down the road but I am more interested in it's ability to filter out turbulence and smooth airflow readings.

Advanced Tuner
    I had a 500whp daily driven 2005 GT. I wouldn't call it very streetable at full throttle.

Well part throttle characteristics are what make a car streetable. I'm not going WOT every chance I get, especially at the temperatures the roads are at now. I do all my tuning on long straight deserted roads out in the middle of nowhere. Driving around town, there's no point in taking it over 3000rpm or past 25 percent throttle. What was done to your mustang? Which MAF did you run?

Advanced Tuner
    I had a pullied vortec with meth injection. I'll spare all of the mod details.

I ran the stock MAF in a larger housing. It worked well for me. The car was incredibly responsive, to the point I would need to warn anyone who drove it. Like the jackass at the tire shop who nearly launched it off the lift, or the valets in Vegas. Something about running short headers followed by straight pipes back to the bumper really made it obvious when people like that we're doing something they weren't supposed to.

I did eventually put mufflers on it, but I placed them under the car, not at the rear.

@blown383 Which one did you go with? Results?

Owner/Tuner Street Performance Syndicate

06 GTO: D1SC , Full Suspension, 23X .6xx lift Ed Curtis Cam, Mast Heads, Gforce 9" 4.11 Gears, Holley High Rise, Stage 12 Fuel System, Boost By Gear

01 Duramax: Blown Tranny (again) BWs467 Turbo, Head Studs, Exergy Injectors, Lift Pump, Moonshine
    2014 Taurus SHO: (Wife's Car) OR DPs, Tuned, CAI
    2006 TBSS; AWD SLP Catback, K&N CAI, Tuned

I ended up purchasing the VMP 75mm housing and VMP HPX. We will see how good it works when the parts come in.

DBX is better for such setups, cured all problems we had - similar to yours.
    One is measuring air flow in four points, so air flow can be turbulent and so on, its always measured correctly, even if You dont have long stright pipe where maf is mounted.

This is why i asked you in another thread for photos.

Let us know how hpx is working, maybe problems You asked in Eric thread is Maf setup related?

Thread is year old, but i see there are still some problems...
    Last edited by caniggia; 01-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Potential Tuner
    many thank you very much for this post helped me a lot. and as you say, be patient and animal