Thread: LS2 Crate motor

Potential Tuner

LS2 Crate motor

Ok here is my story... I purchased a crate LS2 engine and fitted it to an early model commodore. This car is a purpose built track car. I used a GM performance ecu and harnes kit as listed below. Vehicle has been running perfectly until I just fitted a Ramjet OTR intake. I mounted the aftermarket MAF into the side of this intake. Now the vehicle will not start with the MAF connected, however it starts fine disconnected. Whilst running I can reconnect the MAF and it runs fine, but then will not restart if shut down. I then decided to purchase HP tuner last week to possibly carry out a mafless tune.The software came with comparison tunes. My question is should I just compare tunes and modify mine to suit for a basic start... or would that be foolish?
    I did purchase a wideband at the same time.
    I have done a lot of reading and have just confused myself. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be appreciated. Where should i start??

BRAND NEW GM PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET LS2 CONTROLLER KIT.
    # 19166568
    Includes all the components required to run your GM Performance Parts crate engine
    The kit includes the following items:
    • 19166570 Engine Controler
    • 19166573 Engine Harness
    • 12576410 Mass Air Flow Meter
    • 19166574 Mass Air Flow Meter Mounting Boss
    • 10367117 Accelerator Pedal Assembly
    • 12581966 Oxygen Sensor (Qty 2 Per Kit)
    • 15156588 Oxygen Sensor Mounting Boss (Qty 2 Per Kit)
    • 19171935 Instruction Sheet

Start with a log of the cranking and no start issue, post it with your thread.

Have you installed the card type MAF in a differenet diameter housing? If so your MAF airflow readings will be way off, thats probably why it wont start, with it disconnected the ECU goes into SD mode and ignores the MAF signal.

Maybe some photos of the set up would help.
    Last edited by Xjas; 01-08-2012 at 04:24 AM.
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjas View Post
    Start with a log of the cranking and no start issue, post it with your thread.

Have you installed the card type MAF in a differenet diameter housing? If so your MAF airflow readings will be way off, thats probably why it wont start, with it diconnected the ECU goes into SD mode and ignores the MAF signal.

Maybe some photos of the set up would help.
    Thanks for your reply...I think you hit the nail on the head with the location of MAF. Being a card type I put it in the side of the OTR. It probably would work if it was between OTR and throttle body.But i was worried it would be too close to throttle body...Will post photo tomorrow.

That location definately wont work, it need to be in a round tube at least a few inches long so that air flow is straight and consistant.
    My MAF is straight in front of the throttle plate with a VCM OTR, its not ideal but it works pretty good.
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjas View Post
    That location definately wont work, it need to be in a round tube at least a few inches long so that air flow is straight and consistant.
    My MAF is straight in front of the throttle plate with a VCM OTR, its not ideal but it works pretty good.
    Yes you were correct. Moved it into the tube between intake and throttle body and car fired straight up. Thanks for your advice...Now to try and scan this thin g and see whats happening.