Thread: VVT on 06 Denali

Tuner in Training

VVT on 06 Denali

ok hear is the deal the wifes 06 denali 5.3 spun a bearing #6 rod i found a motor ill be getting tomorrow out of a 10 silverado that i believe has VVT does anyone know if i can get to work with the denali thanks for anyhelp

Quote Originally Posted by camaroz28699 View Post
    ok hear is the deal the wifes 06 denali 5.3 spun a bearing #6 rod i found a motor ill be getting tomorrow out of a 10 silverado that i believe has VVT does anyone know if i can get to work with the denali thanks for anyhelp
    The short answer to your VVT question is - No.

However, you have a larger issue. In the 2006 model year GM used "Denali" to denote a trim level. You could have a GMC Envoy Denali (similar to a Trailblazer), a Sierra Denali or a Yukon Denali.

Not sure which Denali you have. If it's the Envoy, then it will use an E40 ECM and T42 TCM. Anything else will use a 1Mb LS1 style (P59) PCM.

Any 2006 truck engine will have 24x CKP / 1x CMP sensors - Gen III style. Your 2010 Silverado engine is a Gen IV - 58x CKP / 4x CMP sensors.

To run a Gen IV engine with a Gen III controller will require the 58x / 4x signal to be downgraded to a 24x / 1x signal - Lingenfelter makes such an interface.

Tuner in Training
    sorry you are absolutely correct yes this is the GMC Envoy Denali and yes it does have the
    Gen 4 with the 58x reluctor wheel as to why i found this gen 4 motor. my question will i need to do a VVT delete or can i make it work thanks for the help and quick reply

If your 2006 Envoy came from the factory equipped with a 58x / 4x Gen IV engine - it may be the only one on the planet. The 2005-2006 Trailblazer / Envoy platform used E40 ECM (24x / 1x only). 2007+ used the E67 ECM (58x / 4x only).

Post the tune file currently used by your Envoy - this will provide a definitive answer to the Gen III vs Gen IV issue.
    Last edited by Shrek; 01-08-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    ok this should be it

Tuner in Training
    well looks like you are correct i guess i failed to do enough homework on this so i guess i have one of two options one swap over what is needed from the old motor not sure how hard that is yet or buy the LINGENFELTER TRG-002 58X-24X CRANK SENSOR TRIGGER CONVERSION MODULE

You have several options for a used engine from an auto recycler:
    1. a direct fit 5.3 L engine - Envoy / Trailblazer / Rainer / Saab - often over priced and a limited selection
    2. any 2005 LS2 engine
    3. any 2006 LS2 engine (except Corvette)
    4. the Gen IV Silverado engine you mentioned - with some general adapting and the Lingenfelter interface box
    5. any Gen III Corvette / Camaro / Truck / SUV engine - with some general adapting
    It depends on your plans for the vehicle, budget, time line, and skill sets.

Tuner in Training
    cool thanks i already picked up a 5.3 from a 10 silverado and i will be getting the lingenfelter interface the motor has 28k and i got it for 850 delivered from about 55 miles away

OK ... you will need the Lingenfelter box, also install the intake / injectors / TB / MAP, and oil pressure sender from the Envoy engine onto the Silverado engine.

You will also need to use the oil pan & oil pump pickup from the Envoy, and the exhaust manifolds.

Probably a few more things once you get into the swap ...

Tuner in Training
    awesome thanks for the help i planned on useing all that stuff anyhow and now that i have the motor looks like it does not have the vvt after all

Quote Originally Posted by camaroz28699 View Post
    ... the motor looks like it does not have the vvt after all ...
    Most 2010 5.3L will be VVT equipped. Look at the front engine cover, directly behind the water pump. If there is a small circular plate on the front cover in this area - then it is a VVT engine.

Tuner in Training
    the lingenfelter interface works great. I had to put one in my 06 envoy denali after i bought an engine for an 07 because the dealer ship didn't know the differance.

Tuner in Training
    cool glad to hear that