Thread: Random nose over during cruise, hard to boost...

Random nose over during cruise, hard to boost...

So after i put the magical K&N short ram thats supposed to work with a stock tune on my car and played with the filter position i've found a spot that seems to not cause this as much but it happened today when it was 22* outside...

car starts and runs fine until coolant temp seems to break ~191 for 30 seconds or so and then the car will act as ive you've rescaled the throttle pedal to 1/4 of what it was. car will only make abotu 2lbs of boost and not much turbo spool, bpv opens and closes when it should and it'll pop thru the exhaust when you shift. It only happens when its cold outside, AFR seem where they should be per my RPD, not showing any KR, fuel pressure is where its always been. the car is currently on a bone stock tune with only a K&N short ram with the filter currently clocked at about 1130-1145. the only time its thrown a CEL was when i had the filter clocked at 1 o'clock or so and it threw a code within 5 miles IIRC.

I've had it happen while cruising at 60 in 5th gear, while accelerating back up to speed with traffic while going 40 in 3rd and i've had it happen when barely creeping thru traffic now...

every time i can turn the car off and back on and its back to normal for a few minutes then does it again if its still cold outside... originally it had to be below 42* to happen with the filter clocked wrong.

Is this the car telling me that it IS compensating for the fuel trims but they are still fuxed?
    2010 Cobalt SS/TC aka "Cavalier SS" aka "Corsica SS" aka "Geo Metro ZR1"

Every intake affects the STFT's a lot. Even when the average STFT is corrected best it can be it will still swing wider than the stock system. If you are not going to tune the MAF freq & correction table please put the stock air box back on.

You may have other issues, but I'd start there.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Agreed. My car does not like the K&N and air temp was not the problem. Now it sits in it's box in the washroom, problem solved. Maybe in the spring I'll tune for it.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

Its getting the stock airbox tonight, i've just got to find the MAF screws since i apparently didnt put them back in the airbox like i thought i had.
    2010 Cobalt SS/TC aka "Cavalier SS" aka "Corsica SS" aka "Geo Metro ZR1"

They are just small sheet metal screws into the plastic if memory serves.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i saw one silicone glued into place once .... lol
    but yes just find some sheet metal screws that are short and fit the hole snug and thats plenty doesnt take much since its not relocated into a cp..
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman