Thread: Blow through MAF tuning issue

Blow through MAF tuning issue

Im not sure if this is a MAF failure or surging causing this issue. The car does show a code for MAF high frequency. After logging the car you can see that load is going through the roof and maf lb/min is erratic only under boost and at idle. There are small spikes that jump up to 50lb/min. Watching the maf frequency you can see it follows the same erratic pattern as everything else. I siliconed around the maf to make sure there were no leaks there and boost leak tested it. The AFR is way rich as well. I checked and the maf is pointing the correct direction. Here is a clip of a log to take a look at. Who all is running this set up?
    Wierd thing is that I had the car dialed perfect and after he put it to stock then reinstalled his parts the issue came up.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Looks like what I had on the blow through when I got condensation in the intercooler. If it has a CAI and has been sucking a lot of moisture in cooler temps it can happen when in boost. Can't say I ever saw it at idle though. Maybe the MAF needs cleaning or it is dying.

The only boost leak that affects a blow through MAF is at the TB, the rest are pre-sensor but I'd still check them all.

Check for metal to metal contact on the Lower CP. THe ZZP's are really close to the subframe and can cause vibration. Also try to keep it from metal to metal at the TB by pulling back about 1/8" from butting before tightening the clamps. This is assuming a metal lower CP BTW. Any vibration can drive the MAF nuts so even if it's plastic, look for rubbing.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 01-02-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

yeah same here bro. I get that a to when it would rain or when it would be foggy... After a couple dys of not getting on it the condensation would evaporate.. Sometimes ill get a call or text asking me whats going on and i ask them if they were driving in the rain and they always reply with yes.. And its always on a maf relocate car. Never on a standard intake with maf car. Ive had a few drain the inercooler and it actually had a bit of water in them!
    2009 chevy cobalt ss turd. to many mods to list and to many problems to fix...... errr previous owner

Cool. Il check out the metal to metal deal. That seems plausable. Its the treadstone lower CP with the maf relocate. I would never recommend this cold pipe for anyone that reads this. The fitment is horrible, which is hard to do with a pipe that only has two 90* bends in it. It will go on after a good long fight but it puts the map sensor on the fans or against the AC compressor when its pushed in right. So yes I bet that there is some metal to metal contact somewhere whether its the intercooler or the throttle body. The condensation could have been a issue as well so il check to see if there is any mooisture in there when I can tinker with it a little.

I have the treadstone with maf relocate. And i dont like where the map sensor is put either but i do like the durability in it... I had fitment issues till i got the correct couplers. (Which treadstone should send lol)
    2009 chevy cobalt ss turd. to many mods to list and to many problems to fix...... errr previous owner

Dense pipe foam insulation (the black stuff) makes a fair shim where it rubs. Cut a chunk to fit & RTV it on the pipe for a shim/pad.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

nice idear

did you ever figure this out? i have an issue when i get at about 0 inHg and the maf goes crazy!! but if i stay out of it and lightly accelerate its fine or if i beat on it its fine also... its confusing the f out of me lol
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift