Thread: TBSS CAI now lean codes

Tuner in Training

TBSS CAI now lean codes

Can someone help me with a relatively quick fix for lean codes? I know VE is probably the best thing to do for this, then dial in MAF, but I need to work something out as a temporary fix till I have time to do full VE tune. Does someone have a CAI TBSS file I can use to start with? I looked in the repository but nothing really fits my truck quite right. Maybe just dial in MAF for now? Then do VE and re-cal MAF when I have time? I would be doing everything off of fuel trims as I do not have WB on the truck yet.

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Relatively quick fix without since you don't wanna put in any work to tune properly...just multiply your existing MAF/VE table by 10% (current x 1.10) to add more fuel across the board. Your lean issue is in there somewhere, right? Clear your lean code and see if it returns. Keep adding fuel until your lean issue is no more. I wouldn't add more than 20% without looking elsewhere for the real issue. This is absolutely the lamest way I can imagine trying to fix your issue short of copying someone elses tune from the repository expecting total success.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Senior Tuner
    If you're throwing lean codes I doubt it's to do with any
    CAI. Start with checking the character of front O2 sensor
    switching at cold / barely wamed up idle. Mistrimming is
    the most common way to get bent closed loop operation
    (that, and maybe burning / nicking an O2 sensor wire
    while messing).

Advanced Tuner
    Is the vehicle modified more than a CAI?

If not it sounds like you have unmeasured air coming in from behind the MAF. Look for vacuum leaks.

Senior Tuner
    TBSS's will go lean when you change the intake up. Just recalibrate the MAF and you'll be good to go.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Cantalope Kid: I want to properly tune for the intake, I just don't have the time in the next few days, but the truck is a DD so I prefer to get the code taken care of (wifes car), even if it means too rich for now. Not sure why a smartass remark is needed here, I did say a quick temporary fix till I can do a full tune.

jimmyblue and HoP: Only mod is CAI. Thanks for the guidance. The code came up just after I installed the CAI so I can not see it being anything else. I know it seams odd to me as well. But I have read that TBSS's can show lean with a CAI.

FYI, I am not new to tuning LSX's. I am rusty as I have not done much in years. I thought of just adding 10% to MAF and VE or even reducing stoich, but I wanted to verify and see if there was another way. Just looking for a "bandaid".

I will look and be sure I do not have a leak and take some time tuning the MAF for now.

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    TBSS's will go lean when you change the intake up. Just recalibrate the MAF and you'll be good to go.
    Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Recalibrated the MAF. I think it should be good. Trims look much better.