Thread: drivability problems

Potential Tuner

drivability problems

i installed a 2006 cts-v 6 speed in a 65 el camino everything worked out fine except it ocassionaly shuts down during hard acceleration.i can let off and stab the throttle again and it will be fine.also the engine starts to miss at highway speed, again floor it and the miss goes away and it pulls hard like it should. the only changes are long tube headers and a conical air filter.i know there are problems here but i have only recently started to have anything to do with the newer technology.im 57 and i have thoroughly enjoyed this whole project.the tune posted is the stock tune for this engine.

Before you assume the problem is in the tune, make sure mechanically everything is correct. I have personally seen a number of vehicles that the owner is convinced the problem is in the tune and ultimately, its not.

Do some simple diagnosis. For example, a bad plug wire, broke spark plug, wrong plug heat range, vacuum leak, mis-wired or cross wired O2 sensors, bad gas, etc.

Good luck.
    2014 Corvette, Z51, 3LT, 7-Speed, NPP, 2 tops, Exposed Carbon Fiber roof, FAY, Laguna Blue, Kalahari, Museum Delivery.

Potential Tuner
    here is a scan after i changed the wiring on the o2s does this appear normal
    i couldnt test drive it because of the weather.also these 4 wire o2s show a heater low ref and the sensor shows a low reference.my fluke showed a different value for each could crossing these possibly be causing my problem?

Did you recently replace the O2's? Why would you switch wires if you hadnt? Just due to the suggestion? More info needed here.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Potential Tuner
    i bought the bosch 15730 universal o2s i may have possibly crossed the wires during hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by mxwge View Post
    here is a scan after i changed the wiring on the o2s does this appear normal
    i couldnt test drive it because of the weather.also these 4 wire o2s show a heater low ref and the sensor shows a low reference.my fluke showed a different value for each could crossing these possibly be causing my problem?
    By the way the LTFT look, you appear to have crossed your O2 wires. One bank goes way + and the other way -. Your B1 injectors mv is much higher than B2 but the LTFT in bank 1 is still way +. Same for the for the O2 sensor mv.

After certain time period, they LTFT reset and the cycle repeats.
    Last edited by Mez; 12-23-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    2014 Corvette, Z51, 3LT, 7-Speed, NPP, 2 tops, Exposed Carbon Fiber roof, FAY, Laguna Blue, Kalahari, Museum Delivery.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the info Mez you are correct checked hookup and they were crossed. acts like a different car.runs great.
    thanks for taking the time to help