Thread: Unlocking Tune

Potential Tuner

Unlocking Tune

Hey Guys

new here had a look around and found some answers but nothing that seams to answer exactly what I'm needing to know.

when trying to read some ecu's we get an error on "requesting access" stage meaning the car has been locked by another tuner.

How can we get around this without installing a new ECU?

There use to be a tuning company here that has since gone belly up and there are a lot of LS1/2/3/X engine running around that have their ECU's locked and we seem to becoming across a few of them.

There has to be a way to unlock this???

Please help

Many thanks in advanced

Email support but I think you're SOL.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT, IHRA Modified, NHRA Pro ET

Quote Originally Posted by Nuddy989 View Post
    Hey Guys

new here had a look around and found some answers but nothing that seams to answer exactly what I'm needing to know.

when trying to read some ecu's we get an error on "requesting access" stage meaning the car has been locked by another tuner.

How can we get around this without installing a new ECU?

There use to be a tuning company here that has since gone belly up and there are a lot of LS1/2/3/X engine running around that have their ECU's locked and we seem to becoming across a few of them.

There has to be a way to unlock this???

Please help

Many thanks in advanced
    I believe the is a tuning shop that can unlock the PCM but you have to ship it to them.
    2014 Corvette, Z51, 3LT, 7-Speed, NPP, 2 tops, Exposed Carbon Fiber roof, FAY, Laguna Blue, Kalahari, Museum Delivery.

Vector Motorsports can do it, but you will loose the tune. At least you will have the ECM. Its not that they cant get you the tune in most cases, they just choose not to for ethics reasons.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Potential Tuner
    I don't want the tune, we just want to reset the factory ecu so that we don't have to put a new one in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Vector Motorsports can do it, but you will loose the tune. At least you will have the ECM. Its not that they cant get you the tune in most cases, they just choose not to for ethics reasons.
    just out of interest ...how can they do that !!?? any idea ?!
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Quote Originally Posted by 4evervette View Post
    just out of interest ...how can they do that !!?? any idea ?!
    I have a couple of ideas.

1. Back-door password.
    -----------------------
    All of the software guys I worked with set up their programs with a password only the company knows about. Maybe this company has that.

2. Chip replacement.
    --------------------
    The company identified which IC on the circuit-board that contains the software and simply de-solder the locked chip and install a new IC with unlocked software. They would need to have a PCM and a socket fixture to flash the new IC with the stock tune before soldering it on the board. We used to do that at a factory I managed. These IC's cost very little, so if you know what you are doing, you can do it in 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Mez; 12-23-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    2014 Corvette, Z51, 3LT, 7-Speed, NPP, 2 tops, Exposed Carbon Fiber roof, FAY, Laguna Blue, Kalahari, Museum Delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mez View Post
    I have a couple of ideas.

1. Back-door password.
    -----------------------
    All of the software guys I worked with set up their programs with a password only the company knows about. Maybe this company has that.

2. Chip replacement.
    --------------------
    The company identified which IC on the circuit-board that contains the software and simply de-solder the locked chip and install a new IC with unlocked software. They would need to have a PCM and a socket fixture to flash the new IC with the stock tune before soldering it on the board. We used to do that at a factory I managed. These IC's cost very little, so if you know what you are doing, you can do it in 5 minutes.

thanks for the info ... fortunately i dont have such skills
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Quote Originally Posted by 4evervette View Post
    thanks for the info ... fortunately i dont have such skills
    Me neither!

Never used these guys, but they advertise unlocking PCM and its not too expensive.

http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/

Advanced Tuner
    I would check with Frost on here , keep it in the family so to speak if he can do it.

tunedbyfrost.com I believe...
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Senior Tuner
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Damn Alvin, if I knew you did that I woulda recomended you.

To OP, Alvin is extremely helpful on the tbssowners.com site. Use him over Vector IMO. He goes out of his way to help others. And I believe in the pay it forward motto. He has volunteered to do minor tune mods for free to people that have gotton screwed. He is a stand up guy, and you cant do better than him.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project