Thread: E38 PCM Tune

Potential Tuner

E38 PCM Tune

I am planning an LS3 swap into my 240SX and ran into a roadblock.

I know the LS3's use E38 PCM's, and saw on this site that there are differences between the E38's.

The LS3 I am looking at right now is from a 2010 Camaro. Does not come with wiring harness or PCM, really just the longblock.

There seems to be so much heresay as to what options that I have right now to get this running.

Do I need the 2010/11 Camaro PCM or can I get away with a slightly more readily available E38 PCM out of a different (and older) vehicle?

I thought I read somewhere that the '10/'11 PCM's needed the body control module to run. Is this true? If so, how can I get around this?

I am out of luck with the 2010 Camaro?

Please (ideally) post if you have first hand experience.

Tuner in Training
    I know for a fact the older E38s do NOT like to be flashed with a 2010/11 tune. I lost an ecu because a tuner tried just this. I can't talk about the BCM needing to be present or not but it's not needed on mine ('07 Escalade 6.2 w/E38)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 376FD View Post
    I know for a fact the older E38s do NOT like to be flashed with a 2010/11 tune. I lost an ecu because a tuner tried just this. I can't talk about the BCM needing to be present or not but it's not needed on mine ('07 Escalade 6.2 w/E38)
    Seems that's the consensus. Can't use an older E38 PCM.

I need to know if my only option is the 2010 Camaro PCM.

Advanced Tuner
    As long as the wiring harness and pcm are from the same year you should be good. The motor doesn't know the difference!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    As long as the wiring harness and pcm are from the same year you should be good. The motor doesn't know the difference!
    The engine (all the mechanical parts) doesn't know the difference, but what about all the sensors? Doesn't the PCM make some type of judgement based on it's inputs from all the sensors? If I use the (ie) knock sensors from the 2010 Camaro, how could I use a PCM from an older model (which may have different knock sensors or even different placement of knock sensors)?

The throttle body and gas pedal are the parts married to the engine controller and harness. The rest doesn't really matter. Even the throttle body can be changed.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Potential Tuner
    Can someone verify the 2010-11 E38 PCM's do or do not need the BCM to run?

The 2010 LS3 would absolutely no problems running with the 2008 Corvette PCM/DBW gas pedal/TB (I believe the TB is the same in both).

The 2008 Corvette system should be just fine.

If you wanted though, I'm pretty sure GMPP sells harness and PCM kits for engines. Those definitely do not require a BCM.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Potential Tuner
    FYI, quick update...

After speaking with a bunch of PCM tuners, I was assured that there would be no problems with running the 2010 PCM and harness for that engine. BCM can be phased out.

I got my VIN-flashed PCM from a 2010 Camaro for $100. Brand new harness is only like $220 shipped (still trying to get a used one for a good deal). Gas pedal with bracket is only $50 new. Aside from needing to go through the factory harness to clean it up, it's way cheaper than the other alternatives.