Thread: 5.7l LS6 Timing jumping under WOT conditions

5.7l LS6 Timing jumping under WOT conditions

I'm not sure why my timing is jumping all over the place when I go WOT. A little background...

I just recently (This problem has been around since) went to true SD from a MAF/SD hybrid tune. The problem was never present when I was hybrid and the only things I've changed are the MAF fail high to 10hz and zeroed out the MAF table and physically removed the MAF.

This has to be something simple because as you can see from the screenshot it falls from a steady 18* to all over the place. I am not getting any KR anywhere? Thoughts?

Screenshot is taken from log:
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

Try to disable M6 spark smoothing and then log all the spark modifier's on a pull and that should help pinpoint where your timing is being pulled.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Try to disable M6 spark smoothing and then log all the spark modifier's on a pull and that should help pinpoint where your timing is being pulled.
    Thank you for the reply. I will try that out tomorrow and update with the results.
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

Disable the negative spark burst knock cells.

Russ Kemp

The bumps at the shift points is TM.

After you disable the burst knock, go back and log for KR. You will most likely have to pull some timing in the low-mid RPM / high vacuum areas. I know I did.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Attached is the log from today. Doesn't seem anything is at work lowering my timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post

Russ Kemp
    Thank you. I have done so and will flash and run this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    The bumps at the shift points is TM.

After you disable the burst knock, go back and log for KR. You will most likely have to pull some timing in the low-mid RPM / high vacuum areas. I know I did.
    All of my TM is disabled so I'm not sure how that can be. Are you speaking from looking at my tune or in general? I'll see what Russ Kemp's fix does and report back.
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

Russ Kemp
    Thank you very much sir. That seems to have taken care of it! (Log attached if anyone cares to look).

That said while I have the sperts in here....Is any KR acceptable on WOT shifts? It can be seen in the log attached but doesn't occur when staying in 4th only, for instance.
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

I would install a 160* stat & lower the fan temps to suit. Also with a boosted engine, install 2 heat range colder spark plugs, Champion RS9YC gapped at .035-.040 works well.

Then remove 2* wot spark timing.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 12-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.

I would install a 160* stat & lower the fan temps to suit. Also with a boosted engine, install 2 heat range colder spark plugs, Champion RS9YC gapped at .035-.040 works well.

Then remove 2* wot spark timing.

Russ Kemp
    I've read the LS motors run best at 190ish. In other words lowering the operating temp on a DD car is not the best idea that everyone thinks it is.

Fan temps already lowered.

Plugs are already two ranges colder. (NGK TR 55 or 6 whichever is colder, can't remember)

Spark is what Magnuson runs on their 112 blowers. I could remove some if you think I need to but I'm not knocking at WOT. I guess I'll look into it a bit more and adjust as necessary.

Thanks again for the advice. Any thoughts on acceptable KR on hard shifts? False or real?
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

I would put a set of 7's or 8's in there fresh and make a couple pulls WOT and pull over and pull a few plugs. Then add or subtract based on the heat you put into the plug. Before I had a dyno this was the way I tuned timing on power adder setups.

Also to help keep timing in it pull some timing at peak torque which is where peak cylinder pressure is also. Getting a nice curve to the timing will broaden your powerband and maximize overall power.
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 12-04-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I would put a set of 7's or 8's in there fresh and make a couple pulls WOT and pull over and pull a few plugs. Then add or subtract based on the heat you put into the plug. Before I had a dyno this was the way I tuned timing on power adder setups.

Also to help keep timing in it pull some timing at peak torque which is where peak cylinder pressure is also. Getting a nice curve to the timing will broaden your powerband and maximize overall power.
    Thank you for the helpful information. The timing curve I'm running belongs to the Magnuson 112 supercharger base tune. While its not optimal it is similar to what I need and has been a good starting point while I dialed in the other things.

Timing is next though so thanks again!
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

Tuner in Training
    Cancer,
    I run the 160 stat and the fans run at 160 it gets really hot here. this is what I have loaded in there now.Let me know what you think of my magnison hacked on tune also. I just bought a back belt for mine it was slipping.I ordered a KaTeck belt tentioner and that should fix it. I got the gatorback on there. I will put the new belt on the rear tomorrow to fix the slip. Im going to take your advise on the plugs and change them tomorrow. I use my trips to work to dyno mine. I downloaded your suggestions and will try them on my car tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by hiperf454; 02-23-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    03 Z06 Magnacharger, Borla stingers with XP Stainless Headers,KB Boostpump, 42 lbs injectors, 160 stat. CAI3.TPS Motorsports 427 Shifter. AFX Powerdex wide band. TIC clutch master.Monster stage3 with 18 lbs flyweel. AFX wideband. 10LBS boost. ALKYCONTROL methanol injection. DTE Trans Brace, Built MN6, NGK Iridium 7IX , 2 Bar MAP.
    [email protected]
    www.haysauto.com