Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGK AFX WB02 - Can you use a diff gauge AND have it tied into HPT Pro at same time?

NGK AFX WB02 - Can you use a diff gauge AND have it tied into HPT Pro at same time?

Hey gang,

I just received my NGK AFX WB kit today and I'm preparing to get it all installed this weekend and I have a question.

I see the wiring kit comes with essentially 2 outputs, 1 for the HUGE gauge that comes in the kit, and another analog output that can/will be used for the HPT Pro interface.

I was under the impression that I would be able to log the WB02 data and also display it on an external gauge at the same time.

I don't want to use the big black box gauge that comes with the kit, so will I be able to use a 2 1/16" gauge like the AEM to display the reading?

If so, do I need to cut/splice the big connector that came with the wiring harness or is it something more simple.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this seems like a silly question. I searched the forums but didn't see anything that applied.

The black box is the controller of the sensor so it has to be used in order for the wideband to function. You aren't getting a direct voltage from the sensor itself, the controller gets the signal from the sensor and then interprets it into an AFR for it's built in gauge and a 0-5v signal for you to log.

If you want a gauge to look at your best bet is to get a gauge that has a programmable reading on a 0-5v range and hook it into the analog output.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

And that gauge would plug into..the HPT interface?

No you would have to splice it off of the 0-5v output the NGK sends.

I've never done it before so I'm not certain if supplying the 0-5v output to two sources would cause any voltage drop or disrepancy but a simple trial and error would show if it did by logging afr on the laptop with and without a gauge attatched to see.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Good info. Ty LSPZ

How long is the cable from the O2 sensor to the interface?

Im thinking of selling my new LM-2 and going with the NGK. Ill keep my LM1 as back up

Hi Phil, the cable was PLENTY long enough to run it through the firewall and next to the existing plug. I had about 3 feet leftover BUT I do have the gauge/controller box mounted in my glove box. Here are a couple pictures of how I ran everything.

Existing rubber plug

The hole I drilled

Where it comes out the other side-you can see the other side of the large rubber plug in this pic

The end result with the rubber grommet installed

Glovebox drilled and wiring run through the hole with another rubber grommet installed

Nice clean work !

I need a long cable to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle for tuning.

Thanks Phil. This was just for me so I could have a clean way to log and not have any of the cables/wiring in the way. I wanted to be able to run a standard 2 1/16" gauge in a pod, but after thinking about it, that would just be obnoxious I think. I don't need to see the AFR on a 24/7 basis and anytime I need/want to log/tune, I can plug in the laptop and see everything.

Sidenote, are you going to make it out for DH 14?

Oh, and I don't know about the length of your existing cable, but I feel like the harness with the AFX kit must be at least 9-10 feet long. Maybe even 12'.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil'sC5Vette View Post
    Nice clean work !

I need a long cable to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle for tuning.
    I have 2. One is a permanent mount in my car and the other is for moving from car to car for tuning. The cables are long enough to reach from the front bumper to the rear bumper. They are crazy long. I soldered a fused cigarette lighter adapter with a switch on mine for a power source. I still end up with a big spool of cable in my lap or the floor of the car I'm tuning.

Don't use a cigarette lighter for power. It makes the wideband inaccurate. I've tested this. ALWAYS go straight from the battery.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Don't use a cigarette lighter for power. It makes the wideband inaccurate. I've tested this. ALWAYS go straight from the battery.
    I used a fusetap on the HVAC fuse in the passenger side fusebox and ran the ground to the grounding strap next to the battery.

Any issue with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    I used a fusetap on the HVAC fuse in the passenger side fusebox and ran the ground to the grounding strap next to the battery.

Any issue with that?
    From the fiddling I have done, the ground is the more important of the two. If you're grounded directly to the battery, you should be OK. Incoming voltage supply can vary even on the battery itself, so I don't think that's ever the concern.

My widebands are meant to be portable, so I just use battery clamps.
    Last edited by DSteck; 12-06-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks again DST, I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    Sidenote, are you going to make it out for DH 14?
    I planned on going, but my mom want's to celibrate her birthday this weekend, so the family will be driving over to Palm City.

Do you have basic HP tuner scanner or a coustom one? Ill send you a couple of mine if you want since your local. Just Email me, You'll have to remap it for the NGK.

Phil

I've customized my HPT scanner but would appreciate any insight or additional configs. I started with Joe_Gs setup and made some tweaks/modifications to my liking.

I already created the custom EIO pid etc and it works perfectly so I can just add that to a new config file.

I'll PM you my email address. Thanks Phil

Tuner in Training
    Hello Guys

The AFX kit harness is 12' long and the signal wire can be spliced depending on the type of connection and the length of the spliced wire, see AWG guage chart for this. Another important thing to note is that the AFX should be grounded to a good chasis ground and nothing else, as this will skew the readings. I persoanlly have my wideband hooked up so that when I am not logging I can still see whats doing on AFR wise.

If you have further questions feel free to call NGK Tech support at 1-877-473-6767 ext #2

I have a vette with some custom class A amplifiers,i have caps bigger alt. Upgraded power etc...but i still get voltage fluctuations from time to time,am i S.O.L using a A.F.R kit?i keep seeing points on having the best power source possible ,i can easily get my volts to go to 11 in the summertime with all my fans running .lights on....do they need a soild 12volts to be accurate?

You mostly need a solid ground.