Thread: Master EFI tuner book question

Advanced Tuner

Master EFI tuner book question

In the book, for the first case study(page 141), it has you set the cells for 75* and above to 1.12(12.54 afr) in the OL EQ Ratio Gas (Gear).

Why wouldn't you want these set to 1.00(14.68). This is for tuning the MAF. You are disabling all the fuel adders.

Thanks

Sarge

Advanced Tuner
    You must have a newer version than mine but I am pretty sure he recommends you set those values to 1.17 which = about 12.54:1 AFR. You are making all of your commanded fueling the same for all adders so you are commanding 12.54:1 for your entire datalog. This way you are not chasing different AFR while datalogging your AFR error%.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by superwagon View Post
    You must have a newer version than mine but I am pretty sure he recommends you set those values to 1.17 which = about 12.54:1 AFR. You are making all of your commanded fueling the same for all adders so you are commanding 12.54:1 for your entire datalog. This way you are not chasing different AFR while datalogging your AFR error%.
    Sorry yes it is 1.17. I do have the new book.

14.68 could hurt your motor if you get on it too much since this would be too lean under WOT or rapid acceleration. also would be too lean for cold starts if the weather should be cold where you are tuning and car will not even idle if you have big cam.

As long is PE is richer doesn't matter if you put it at 1.00, the ECU is going to take the richer of the two.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    As long is PE is richer doesn't matter if you put it at 1.00, the ECU is going to take the richer of the two.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I guess its not bad practice to put the 75+kpa cells to desired AFR, but its not neccessary as long as PE is there.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Actually I find that to be 180* out. You want to set the OL table to the stock values up to about 120 degrees to provide cold start enrichment and then 1.0 for the balance of the table(s). Set the PE to a straight 1.15 (N/A) or 1.23 (FI).

Tuning always takes place when the engine has reached its operating temp.

That way you so you can tune MAF/VE to lambda 1 (Stoich) in non-pe mode and .85/.77 (depending on setup) in PE based on the commanded values. You then go back and log a cold start, just to make sure you don't have too much/too little low temp enrichment and tweak as required.

At least that is how I learned/studied to do it.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

I thought we were talking about tuning MAF and VEs which would mean that PE would be set to same value as what is in the OL FA table so that we would have the PCM always trying to achieve the same value under all driving conditions to create an AFR correction factor to use. Regardless, if you follow steps in Don's book you cannot go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLinder View Post
    I thought we were talking about tuning MAF and VEs which would mean that PE would be set to same value as what is in the OL FA table so that we would have the PCM always trying to achieve the same value under all driving conditions to create an AFR correction factor to use. Regardless, if you follow steps in Don's book you cannot go wrong.
    PE is not set to the same value as OL FA. The PE is set to "add" fuel when you enter WOT above the stoich value (1.0) normally set in the OL FA table(s) for non-pe fueling.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

PE is not set to the same value as OL FA. The PE is set to "add" fuel when you enter WOT above the stoich value (1.0) normally set in the OL FA table(s) for non-pe fueling.
    Yes sir

14 Gen 5 Viper