Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic tune for 2011 Sierra 5.3 w/o wide band

Tuner in Training

Exclamation Basic tune for 2011 Sierra 5.3 w/o wide band

A family member is going to let me use his HPT for the weekend so I can tweak my Sierra and Camaro. I'm new to the AFM 5.3, so I'm just looking for what basic tuning I can do without the aid of a wide band. From looking through old threads, it seems most people just scale down TM, some disable AFM, and do some minor tweaking to the MAF tables. Is there anything else I should do?

It's been years since I've used HPT on my Camaro, so I'm going to have to relearn a lot of this stuff. I don't want to go overboard, but just want better drivabilty, more power under the curve, and possible better MPG.

Any one have any input or have a HPT file that I can use for this?

Airflow, electonic throttle, opening rate limits, set all to 100%

TM, general, ETC limits, leave the 0 row alone, set all others to 100%

Max all your allowed torque tables under TM

Increase your dwell to 5.5ms in all areas where it is less than that, and change the multipliers for the dwell all to 1.0

Triple the Knock delay recovery

High octain timing table set to 25 degrees in the WOT areas, smooth others, remove negative timing down low. Start in lower left of timing table with 11 degrees, blend it and smooth.

For transmission, increase shift speed to .150 in lower to .125 in the upper

Dont get crazy with the pressures just to get it to shift hard, you dont want that, you want fast not hard. Dont change the rev limiter, the stock trucks wheeze out at 5800 anyways. If you change the WOT shift speed, dont forget to change it in the part throttle shift speed 100% area too, and remember to match your rpm AND MPH, as it needs to meet both to shift, so log first. Dont remove more than 50% TM without servos, and sonnax shift kit stage 2, or transgo kit or your tranny will likely fair sooner than later.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Triple the Knock delay recovery.
    Pardon my noobness, whats is the benefit of this?
    2004 Silverado 5.3 4l60E
    K+N FIPK, Gibson shorties, Flowmaster
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    FTRA, K+N, SLP lid, 120 shot, SLP 85MM MAF, BBK 85MM TB, Flowmaster

Ah Christ! What the fuck! I swear I'm about to quit the board with shit like what's listed above! When I joined did I bring all the hacks with me??!!

Sorry OP that is not directed towards you.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Ah Christ! What the fuck! I swear I'm about to quit the board with shit like what's listed above! When I joined did I bring all the hacks with me??!!

Sorry OP that is not directed towards you.
    I have no idea what you're talking about, so do you want to explain?

He probably doesnt like the knock recovery increase. Some people do it, others dont. He bitches and moans worse than a woman if it isnt something he doesnt do.

Hell a year ago, he couldnt even tune a tranny.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32047

I have been tuning 18 years, since I first bought my GN. He should just learn to keep his mouth shut and not post negative comments. Notice how he didnt offer to help you.

Just know that when you come here, you will run accross many people, who have many differant ways of doing things. Take a little bit from everyone, and make your own way. Half the fun of tuning is learning along the way. The stock knock recovery takes forever to give the timing back. The table that I told you to modify will only give it back IF THERE IS NO NEW knock retard, which is fine. I have seen computers pull timing for knock and not give it back till almost the end of the 1/4 mile, so I adjust mine. If he has something positive to say, listen to him. But ignore all the whiney complainers who that is all they do and dont help.
    Last edited by gn2beatu; 11-27-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

^ don't make me bring it down on you about your methods.

You're a fool. I'd be inclined to help, but since your a seasoned know-it-all tuner, you can just keep doin' to thang. Know what I'm saying?

Good day.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 11-28-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

This thread caught my eye because my Dad has a 2011 Silverado with a 5.3.
    Op, don't spend to much time searching for servos and a shift kit.
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    I have been tuning 18 years, since I first bought my GN.
    That doesn't make you right by any means, as evidenced by your other posts.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by BADFNZ View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about, so do you want to explain?
    Dumb people man. Just dumb people.

Ok well, I have a few different write-ups concerning trucks and truck performance.

They're balls rich from the factory. You're going to find most of your performance concerning AFR. Setting your PE to 1.180 across the board, and then setting enrichment rate to 1 is going to lend you a decent amount of power across the board.

Still, bottom end is pretty soggy. So, we've got two places to look. Torque converter stall fuel cutoff, and timing.

Max out the stall fuel cutoff, trans torque tables, etc.

Timing you can then start at about 12 degrees WOT at 1000 rpm, ten increase to the max FACTORY value.

More can be done, but that's strictly for performance gains.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    6sp trans correct? Trans tuning alone helps a good bit. If you post your stock tune when you get hpt ill be glad to help any way I can.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the stock tune if anyone is interested. Only thing I've done is changed the speedo cal for bigger tires.

Tuner in Training
    Here's my updated tune. All I've done is a little PE and IAT spark tweaking. I'd like to finish with the engine related stuff before I move on to the trans. What do you guys recommend for the low and high octane spark tables?

Quote Originally Posted by BADFNZ View Post
    Here's my updated tune. All I've done is a little PE and IAT spark tweaking. I'd like to finish with the engine related stuff before I move on to the trans. What do you guys recommend for the low and high octane spark tables?
    See post 11

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    See post 11
    I saw your post, but then saw you post a screen shot in another thread of a high/low octane table you recommended and they were different. I was seeing if there was a consensus within the masses.

Hmmmm ok give me a sec, and I'll post a good one up.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Check these out:

In the midst of that, I also want you to fully disable Burst Knock Retard.

With this timing table, I recommend that you only run 91 or better.

I'll help you with torque management when you're ready.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    I've made most of the changes you suggested and kind of tweaked them a bit myself. I don't want to be handcuffed to 91+ octane, so I toned the timing down a bit from your numbers.

The only thing I didn't tweak was the Torque Converter Stall Fuel Cutoff because I couldn't find that. What exactly does this do?

I'm also ready for TM changes if you have any suggestions.

Attached is my latest file. Thanks for the help.

Tuner
    It is nice to see members helping out people

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS
    E-Fans*160 Stat*K@N Filter* FlowMaster Catback Duals*HP Tuned By Me USA