Thread: 440 CI LS7 - quick question

Advanced Tuner

440 CI LS7 - quick question

hi guys,

I’d like to receive one good advice from you.
    I ordered to Golen enigne one 440ci LS7 short block.
    The OEM one was seriously damaged.
    It will be fitted with Kooks long tube headers, CAI, Katech torquer camshaft, fast 102 manifold, stock LS7 throttle.

The question is:
    Per your experience, stock LS7 Bosch injectors are enough or they should be updated?
    (they should be rated at 39 lb/hr according to Bosch:
    http://www.boschdealer.com/index.php...products_id=35 )

or it's better to change over with some bigger ones? in that case, any p/n reccomended?

thank you

bye!

Advanced Tuner
    you definitely need bigger ones if you want to be save. I have seen highly modded LS7 already max out injectors.

you can call me, I am not too far from you (Graz, Austria)

ZR1 injectors work nicely

Senior Tuner
    I did a 440 ls1 this summer that made 600 rwhp on the dyno. It had 42# green tops in it which are low 50# injectors at stock fuel pressure. At 7000 rpm and commanded/achieved 12.53 afr duty cycle was 70%. You are going to need bigger for sure.

I would use LS9 injectors. They will support the power you want to make, and will not require scaling.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

^ I agree, and the LS9 data is readily available in one of the threads around here for that car.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden

Advanced Tuner

WOT log file and comments, please!

Hi guys,

today I spent some time driving this car:
    Golen engine Service 440ci LS7 short block.
    Kooks long tube headers (no cat converter at all)
    CAI by Air Aid, 160° thermostat
    Katech torquer camshaft,
    Fast 102 manifold,
    Stock LS7 throttle and injectors,
    brand new oxygen sensors, MAF, ECT sensors.

I run out a nice tune, using WB and Bluecat SW to to the VE, no bucking no surging at all. You can use the cruise control il 6 gear at 1200 RPM with no issue!
    That being said, I have to correct a little more the tune file (MAF airflow at low RPM and at WOT)…
    However, I think the injectors are not enough.
    Take a look at minute 5.29 & 8.37. 96% duty cycle. Wow… I will swap LS9 injectors early next week.
    Also take a look at minute 7.48. why the ECM have 6 degrees of retard? Maybe because I suddenly accelerate? Should be addressed in the tune file or is kind of normal?
    There are some lean spikes on the log file, like minute 6.44 & 6.48. Are these kind of normal too or should be addressed?
    Last but not least. Between minutes 6.54 & 7.20 I’m running with 6 gear and cruise control. There are several negative spikes on the timing (mostly not felt during test drive) and the car is running lean. Is normal GM strategy to save fuel or there is something wrong?

thanks for sharing your opinion on my tune!

bye
    Last edited by Christian GM; 01-14-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: .

Tuner in Training
    what car is the 440 in?

Lean out that rich WOT AFR, your injectors are ok for your power level. As for the spark timing, zero the AC Torque reduction table if the issue only happens when the AC is on.

Also disable the CAT tests.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 01-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Lean out that rich WOT AFR, your injectors are ok for your power level. As for the spark timing, zero the AC Torque reduction table if the issue only happens when the AC is on.

Also disable the CAT tests.

Russ Kemp
    Do it!
    Monday I will do some more road test. what is the maximum injector DC allowable safe? 85%?

the car is a 2006 Z06 Corvette.

thank you

There is nothing wrong with 100% IDC. Also seen many 3800 SC engines with smaller pulley's going over 100% IDC, yet the AFR was 11.1.

I believe the scanner isn't reporting the correct injector pulse width, because anything over 100% IDC is not possible.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    There is nothing wrong with 100% IDC. Also seen many 3800 SC engines with smaller pulley's going over 100% IDC, yet the AFR was 11.1.

I believe the scanner isn't reporting the correct injector pulse width, because anything over 100% IDC is not possible.

Russ Kemp
    The scanner does and doesn't. In E38s, it is reporting theoretical pulsewidth, which is not the actual pulsewidth delivered to the injector. The injector is actually staying open at about 97% reported IDC in an E38. Older PCMs report final delivered pulsewidth which includes the offset (and short pulse adder, if applicable).

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!