Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-swap Excessive

Post-swap Excessive Fuel Trims - Mostly stock

Hey Guys,
    Here's my swap.
    2007 Escalade L92/6L80E into my 1968 Bel Air wagon.
    I upgraded to the LS3 intake, injectors, and MAP, have true dual 2.25" exhaust(was already on the car), 2010 Camaro manifolds, 3" Aluminum Cold Air with only 90* bend.

I tuned for the LS3 injectors and map but I'm seeing 15-25% trims adding fuel.

My PVC(in ref to other recent posts about PCV) routes from each head cover to a breather can...not tied into the intake manifold at all.

So my questions is, can someone verify my tune for the LS3 injectors and map. And how much affect would a open crankcase breather system have on my tune....i.e. is the vacuum in the manifold sucking air through the crankcase and causing my lean condition?

I have verified with my wideband that the ECU is correcting to 14.7:1...so no issues with my narrowbands.
    Last edited by Wicked; 11-17-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

Here's curent tune and a previous log file.

I just got my wideband installed so I don't have the latest logs yet.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

Your trims, are probably being skewed by either placement of the MAF, or the upgraded intake.

Is there any way you could've altered the MAP settings by accident?

You've probably improved airflow so much that the Narrowbands are adding fuel to correct the issue if the MAF is right. How far is the MAF from the TB?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Your trims, are probably being skewed by either placement of the MAF, or the upgraded intake.

Is there any way you could've altered the MAP settings by accident?

You've probably improved airflow so much that the Narrowbands are adding fuel to correct the issue if the MAF is right. How far is the MAF from the TB?
    IDRIVE, thanks for the response.

I used the LS3 MAP linear(128.13) and offset(-0.31) that I found here.
    Same with the fuel injectors.

My maf is about 2.5 ft from the tb, just after the air filter and about 1.5 feet before the bend...I also have a huge K&N.
    I'm sure the airflow has improved but am not sure if it should yield 20% FT's.

Mainly I'm looking for opinions...if these minor changes make such a big difference.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    IDRIVE, thanks for the response.

I used the LS3 MAP linear(128.13) and offset(-0.31) that I found here.
    Same with the fuel injectors.

My maf is about 2.5 ft from the tb, just after the air filter and about 1.5 feet before the bend...I also have a huge K&N.
    I'm sure the airflow has improved but am not sure if it should yield 20% FT's.

Mainly I'm looking for opinions...if these minor changes make such a big difference.
    Yep, MAP's right.

Do a quick test, attach your MAF right on to the end of THE TB, and fire it, no filter or tube. See what your trims do then. Your MAF in theory is a little bit farther from the TB than factory, plus there's a bend which could slightly impact fueling.

If the trims get better you should try and look at changing your MAF location or simply retune it.

If they DON'T straighten up, then yes airflow really has improved that much and you need to tune your MAF to accommodate the added airflow.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 11-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Yep, MAP's right.

Do a quick test, attach your MAF right on to the end of THE TB, and fire it, no filter or tube. See what your trims do then. Your MAF in theory is a little bit farther from the TB than factory, plus there's a bend which could slightly impact fueling.

If the trims get better you should try and look at changing your MAF location or simply retune it.

If they DON'T straighten up, then yes airflow really has improved that much and you need to tune your MAF to accommodate the added airflow.

If the trims straighten up then try a
    Well, it sounds like I just need to tune...no room between the rad and the tb for my maf to go. No biggie, just wanted to make sure i was seeing what i should be.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

Oh I'm visualizing it now. But yeah retune and have fun. Post a pic?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Oh I'm visualizing it now. But yeah retune and have fun. Post a pic?
    My youtube channel...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wicked5479?feature=mhee

And photobucket...

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/a...20Air%20Wagon/

1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

Now THAT sir is fucking badass! congrats!

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Now THAT sir is fucking badass! congrats!
    Why thank you....the plan is twin turbos and 1000 horsepower.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

You're very welcome. Can't wait to see it

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

The MAF being that close to a cone filter instead of a factory airbox is probably enough to skew your trims by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by 383_Stroker View Post
    The MAF being that close to a cone filter instead of a factory airbox is probably enough to skew your trims by that much.
    You make it too easy :P

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Can you switch the MAF places with the smaller chrome tube, that way you will have some distance between the filter to straighten out the airflow, and you will still be far enough away from the 90 by the TB.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Can you switch the MAF places with the smaller chrome tube, that way you will have some distance between the filter to straighten out the airflow, and you will still be far enough away from the 90 by the TB.
    I understand what you're saying....to straighten out the airflow and reduce the disturbances. But I don't really want to...I moved it to where it is to prevent it from being right behind the radiator and getting the excess heat. I actually had it closer to begin with and my IATs were really high. They're still high and I need to make some ventilation to my filter but they're still better.

I did the MAF changes. I actually scaled about 22% on the low end of the curve to as little as 10% on the high end.

After some driving to relearn the trims, I am only seeing 1% for most frequencies. I still have 10% at 3000hz area but that's idle or coastdown.
    That might be the area most related to the MAF location.

I also changed my PE enrichment to 1.20 aiming for 12.3:1 at WOT. After the trim corrections(and probably before) I was seeing 11.0-11.3 AFR at WOT. After the PE Enr change to 1.20 I am seeing 12.3 AFR at WOT.

When I first went to do some WOTs I thought I had messed something up. Huge lean spike and hesitation. Then I realized I was running low on gas.

Thanks for the help guys.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

You can wrap the MAF with header wrap, then on the outside of the header wrap, wrap it with that A/C metalic heating duct (aluminum style) wrap. The aluminum reflects the heat, and the headerwrap keeps the aluminum wrap from transfering it to the MAF. That will help you with temps even now if you dont relocate it agian.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    You can wrap the MAF with header wrap, then on the outside of the header wrap, wrap it with that A/C metalic heating duct (aluminum style) wrap. The aluminum reflects the heat, and the headerwrap keeps the aluminum wrap from transfering it to the MAF. That will help you with temps even now if you dont relocate it agian.
    Yeah, I have plenty of header wrap and the metallic heat blanket and I also plan to do something to allow more fresh air in.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E

Tuner in Training
    The 10% on coast down may be from DFCO, I'm sure one of the more experienced guys would be able to tell you for sure. BTW that is a sweet ride....

Advanced Tuner
    Cool ride there bro. Very cool. DFCO would normally take you up to the max the WB reads. Like 20:1 or more.

Very odd to see 15-20% difference. Have tuned similar setups (without the injector change) and they were within 5%. Did you get all the injector specs over? Often the trucks run zero offset for volts/map but yours seems to have the LS3 numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Cool ride there bro. Very cool. DFCO would normally take you up to the max the WB reads. Like 20:1 or more.

Very odd to see 15-20% difference. Have tuned similar setups (without the injector change) and they were within 5%. Did you get all the injector specs over? Often the trucks run zero offset for volts/map but yours seems to have the LS3 numbers.
    Thanks guys, I'm loving the car.

LSX378 and others,
    I neglected to turn off the DFCO prior to running my histograms for my trims. So its possible that area of the curve need to be revisited.

LSX378,
    That was the original question...is 15-25% trims with basic exhaust and intake mods normal? I didn't think so. But it did seem to respond to the MAF change. Ran a log today while out christmas shopping with the wife, trims still look good. Both MAP and injectors are LS3...so you are correct. MAP says 31kpa at idle today and 99kpa at WOT. I copied to LS3 injector specs from somewhere and I think its on my other laptop. But i think I found the data here.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E