Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C off due to high engine temp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Differing viewpoints are always welcome - often creates a greater knowledge base for all.

However, posting a dissenting view without any rational does little to further the discussion.

Would welcome your take on thermodynamics ...
    I have always heard the anecdotes about the water needing to circulate slower for better cooling. Every instance I tried proved that wrong whether it was in my cars or any piece of heavy equipment I owned. An open thermostat was an impediment vs no thermostat when ambient air temp was high and workload was extreme.
    Have you ever tested the temp drop between rad inlet and outlet? 11- 13* is pretty normal.
    Look up radiator temp drop and you will find formulas that prove slowing coolant flow is the wrong way to go for more cooling.

You may want to revisit how heat energy is transfered between the 3 states of matter - solid, liquid, gas. Heat absorption / transmission with solid matter is generally uneven, slow, and prone to hot spots. Liquid (typically water) readily transmits heat energy - evenly and rapidly. Gas (in this case the atmosphere) readily absorbs heat energy, by lacks density - it takes a larger volume of gas to absorb the same heat energy as a smaller volume of liquid.

This is why heat exchangers (radiators) have small thin fins placed between the cores where the water flows - to increase the surface area exposed to the gas (atmosphere) to facilitate greater heat exchange. The more fins per inch, the better the radiator will cool (exchange heat).

Ever notice better (more expense) heat exchangers are double pass, triple pass, etc. designs ? This is to keep the fluid in contact with the gas (heat exchange area) longer - to promote increased heat absorption by the gas.

Your theory would imply that if the velocity of the liquid was increased, the size of the heat exchanger (radiator) could be reduced - and provide the same heat exchange (cooling) as a system that employed a decreased fluid velocity but with a larger heat exchanger - this is not true.

I agree with you in one area - there will be a range of fluid velocity that is most effective for each specific heat exchange system.

I've known farmers and heavy equipment mechaincs that would remove the thermostat from heavy machinery - claiming improvements in cooling. NASCAR teams that take a scientific approach to just about every aspect of the sport - use restrictors in the cooling systems.

Just my two cents ...

Tuner
    You may want to revisit how heat energy is transfered between the 3 states of matter - solid, liquid, gas. Heat absorption / transmission with solid matter is generally uneven, slow, and prone to hot spots. Liquid (typically water) readily transmits heat energy - evenly and rapidly. Gas (in this case the atmosphere) readily absorbs heat energy, by lacks density - it takes a larger volume of gas to absorb the same heat energy as a smaller volume of liquid.

This is why heat exchangers (radiators) have small thin fins placed between the cores where the water flows - to increase the surface area exposed to the gas (atmosphere) to facilitate greater heat exchange. The more fins per inch, the better the radiator will cool (exchange heat).

Ever notice better (more expense) heat exchangers are double pass, triple pass, etc. designs ? This is to keep the fluid in contact with the gas (heat exchange area) longer - to promote increased heat absorption by the gas.

Your theory would imply that if the velocity of the liquid was increased, the size of the heat exchanger (radiator) could be reduced - and provide the same heat exchange (cooling) as a system that employed a decreased fluid velocity but with a larger heat exchanger - this is not true.

I agree with you in one area - there will be a range of fluid velocity that is most effective for each specific heat exchange system.

I've known farmers and heavy equipment mechaincs that would remove the thermostat from heavy machinery - claiming improvements in cooling. NASCAR teams that take a scientific approach to just about every aspect of the sport - use restrictors in the cooling systems.

Just my two cents ...
    That is not worth 2 cents. Read up the formulas. Simply.... hotter in equals hotter out
    Thermostats have many important uses but they do not make an engine run cooler or make rad efficiency higher.

Quote Originally Posted by backchannel View Post
    That is not worth 2 cents. Read up the formulas. Simply.... hotter in equals hotter out
    Thermostats have many important uses but they do not make an engine run cooler or make rad efficiency higher.
    "Hotter in = hotter out"

WOW ! What an in depth revelation. No sense getting a degree in engineering or science, because hotter in = hotter out, don't you know. MIT will now no doubt be inundated with people wanting their tuition refunded.

"Read up the formulas"

Post these referent formulae, explain their derivation, and discuss their practical application.

And you topped off your information laden post with an insult. Ah insults - the fall back of those without formal education, diplomacy skills, or any sense of decorum.

Man everyone is mad lately. I got chewed out my posts and now some guys are going at it here.

Is it all the noobies joining that are getting to us or what's going on? Damn....
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

My apologies if I have offended you - your posts always seem genuine and helpful. I have been in the business for a very long time. I have participated in various Forums over the years, always with the intent of helping and sharing information.

I own several softwares, and use each for various tasks - no one platform can do everything.

I welcome differing views and discussion - that's how knowledge is transmitted. However I have never been one to suffer a fool - if you are going to post a dissenting view, back it up with more than insults.

Tuner
    "Hotter in = hotter out"

WOW ! What an in depth revelation. No sense getting a degree in engineering or science, because hotter in = hotter out, don't you know. MIT will now no doubt be inundated with people wanting their tuition refunded.

"Read up the formulas"

Post these referent formulae, explain their derivation, and discuss their practical application.

And you topped off your information laden post with an insult. Ah insults - the fall back of those without formal education, diplomacy skills, or any sense of decorum.
    There is good info at this site: www.arrowheadradiator.com
    Insults were not intended, just frustration at no search for more info before responding.

Advanced Tuner
    running no thermostat and not slowing down flow allows for more cavitation which eurods away the clynider will and damage liners or blocks quickly. Water passes so quickly it doesn't allow the water to grab enough heat and causes hot spots. also been proven a engine makes better effiecnty at 190 degrees then 160. If your engine is running hot then you dont got a big enougn radaitor to keep it all cool.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wyochimneysweep View Post
    running no thermostat and not slowing down flow allows for more cavitation which eurods away the clynider will and damage liners or blocks quickly. Water passes so quickly it doesn't allow the water to grab enough heat and causes hot spots. also been proven a engine makes better effiecnty at 190 degrees then 160. If your engine is running hot then you dont got a big enougn radaitor to keep it all cool.
    Air implosion causing pin holes in liners has several cavitation causes[vibration, coolant properties, sonic waves] but none are identified as thermostat removal and water speed increase.
    Heating issues after installing electric pumps or underdrive pulleys are caused by slower coolant flow
    Nascar teams like to run coolant as hot as possible without losing it.
    I can find no evidence except anecdotal that shows slowing coolant flow improves cooling in an engine. I don't advocate no thermostat ever but the myth of the engine needing more time to transfer heat to the coolant is annoying-its the radiator that has the heat transfer issue.

"Read up the formulas"

Still waiting for you to post this information - you may have a valid argument - no way to know without reviewing the formulae that formed the basis of your opinion.

Text can be a difficult communication medium - as the nuance of the message is missing. I joined this Forum to share what I know, and potentially learn from others. I prefer to do so in a civil manner, but as a "middle aged" person I won't hesitate to hand someone their hat when necessary.

Tuner
    Still waiting for you to post this information - you may have a valid argument - no way to know without reviewing the formulae that formed the basis of your opinion.

Text can be a difficult communication medium - as the nuance of the message is missing. I joined this Forum to share what I know, and potentially learn from others. I prefer to do so in a civil manner, but as a "middle aged" person I won't hesitate to hand someone their hat when necessary.
    Posting came across poorly from my long frustration of misinformation on this topic.
    The site I posted has some good basic info with a qualifying formula.
    I don't place much on anecdotal info but mine is from spending a lot of time with Caterpillar technicians and engineers resolving specific heating issues on my heavy earthmoving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by backchannel View Post
    Posting came across poorly from my long frustration of misinformation on this topic.
    The site I posted has some good basic info with a qualifying formula.
    I don't place much on anecdotal info but mine is from spending a lot of time with Caterpillar technicians and engineers resolving specific heating issues on my heavy earthmoving equipment.
    Fair enough ... but you were the one who claimed your viewpoint was rooted in empirical data (formula).

Without you posting the formula, explaining its derivation, then discussing how you interpret its practical application - your opinion is anecdotal - and no more valid than the opinion of anyone else.

I have over 30 years experience with everything from heavy equipment to aircraft. Does that mean my opinion trumps yours ?

I am going to let this thread go ... it is apparent now that your position is based on your personal opinion / experience - but not corroborated by empirical evidence (formula / research / etc.).

Hello, Chris here. Thought I would add a little experience I had with my 2010 Chevy Silverado 5.3 with only 24k miles on it. I always ran my trucks around 180 degrees, and usually got 270-300k miles without engine repairs except for some sensor, belts and tension replacement. So looking at the trucks temp gauge it read at 210 so I found a 180 degree thermostat and replaced the stock thermo, the temp gauge showed it went down just a few degrees, maybe 1/8 off of 210. So then I removed the thermostat altogether and the gauge dropped another 1/8 down. I then received my MPVI2 and turned the fans on continually drove the truck for a few weeks and saw really bad gas mileage and kept getting the ENGINE HOT AC TURNED OFF message.
    To the point, when I ran the VCM scanner it said the engine temp was 130 but the trucks temp gauge guestiment was around the 195 mark. So I re installed the 180 degree thermostat and scanned again and the engine stayed at 180 steady with the fans on whether I was sitting still or driving and never saw the engine hot ac turned off, again.
    So my guess is there is a lower limit threshold where the ecu is trying to warm up the engine and when in that mode to long the ecu throws that message. Also I live in New Orleans and the temp is in the 90's with high humidity. Point of the story, factory gauges are not accurate at all at least mine, check with your scanner prior to changing any thing. I also changed the thermo sensor and the same results, so either the scanner is wrong or the gauge is wrong, my money is on the truck gauge out of calibration.

Potential Tuner
    Find this post very useful. Read Here

Quote Originally Posted by tylor866 View Post
    Find this post very useful. [link]
    That site is a fantastic collection of AI-generated generic non-info, thanks for sharing! And your first post, too. I'm sure those two things are just a coincidence though.

[this site] is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
    Oh. It's one of those. A link farming operation. This is spam.