Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LNF Engine Swaps

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar

LNF Engine Swaps

Figure id make a thread on this that people could reference to since these seem to be a bit more complicated than others when swapping due to fueling systems and the capability of not being able to have a standalone unless you pay the big moneys to major companies for a custom one. hopefully this can benefit all since i see this as a great engine to swap...high gas mileage and plenty of power for toys and dd's

im planning on doing a swap in the future but am looking to find out all of the issues, kinks, do's-dont's, ideas etc....... before getting under way

id like to know for starts a few things hopefully people already know the answers...

how much of the computers other than the ecu will i need to get the engine to start?

Do i need to run a matched instrument cluster from the donor vehicle? i would really like to run AM Gauges if possible.

How did you mount your engine in the vehicle.....details like transverse mounted or standard ferwd setup, and angle of the engine?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Vince (Trifecta) can do a standalone on the ECU, otherwise you need the BCM and harnesses. VATS gets in the way. Do a search here and on GMSC.net and or LNF Performance for the LNF powered airboat and contact Chuckitt via email or PM. They did it on an airboat.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

is the vats programming in the bcm because in that case id just use the harness and remove everything i dont need to save weight. keeping the obd port as well of course.

A lot of stuff is in the BCM, not just the VATS. Email Vince and/or Chuckitt

yea im emailing vince now and i got some other questions for him as well and ill get those answers posted here so everyone can understand what it takes.

Newest Info:

Vince says its basically a layer and you install it and with the vin unlocked in hpt you perform a read entire and carry on tuning as usual with hpt so no he is not steeling or taking away from hpt he just giving us a temporary fix until hpt finds the controlls etc. to put in their program for us down the road. there are no additional tuning paramaters in the new "layer". all this layer does is disable the VATS and BCM functions to allow startup and normal running.

After the flash the bare minimum requirements are a engine harness and the factory ecu. Which is awesome since i can now cut that thing open and remove all the harness peices i no longer wish to have as part of the ecu harness. i like how easy this is going to make all of this go....8D
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-07-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Toldya.

this is cool man all im going to have to do is bend and weld my own rollcage and then remove the firewall and possibly the floorboard so i can make a tunnel for the driveshaft and then the rest is straight forward money magic.

Thats pretty sweet that Vince is offering that. I'll give credit where credit is due.

I can think of a number of projects where an RWD LNF would be neeeeat.

i know hes got it in the air boats and i have seen another eco swap into a boat with dual lsj but thats totally different lol i think its in michigan on one of the lakes. been like 2 yrs since i saw it lol

I think an LNF in a broken $300 Miata would be kinda choice.

that or a single cab colorado would be fun.. nissan 240sx too.... list goes on....
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    I think an LNF in a broken $300 Miata would be kinda choice.
    Funny you would say that cause that is what I am doing except I am using
    a 04 Mazdaspeed and taking out the Mazda 1.8 turbo which only makes about 170 ft# and using a tuned LNF. Engine is from a 400 mi Solstice.
    Using whole drive train including 5 spd and diff from CTS. Fits pretty well
    except rack interferes with LNF front sump. Pretty easy to convert to rear sump. LNF weighs less than iron block MSM engine with 2x the torque.

Interested in what Vince means by layering.

frank

'Layering' a Trifecta tune is writing the TF file with his EZFlash, but a layer tune allows us to tune on top of the tables we cannot see in the TF tune with the tables we have in HPT with a write cal. It is the best of both worlds. Was a necessity for more boost before HPT unlocked the turbo tables for us.

Tuner in Training
    I bought a boosted miata recently and am already missing the torgue and power band and way better gearing of the LNF. I've already got an RX7 rear in it and have seriously been considering this for a project next year. I'd really rather do this than an LS* swap. I really like the idea of being able to dial up or down a 100hp. Off to check pricing on wrecked GXP/redlines.

Quote Originally Posted by jboogie67 View Post
    I bought a boosted miata recently and am already missing the torgue and power band and way better gearing of the LNF. I've already got an RX7 rear in it and have seriously been considering this for a project next year. I'd really rather do this than an LS* swap. I really like the idea of being able to dial up or down a 100hp. Off to check pricing on wrecked GXP/redlines.
    uve been beat my bud is doing it right now
    lol
    i like how as soon as i bring this up here everyone starts to look at wrecked gxp.redlines fucking competition geeze
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Dammit why couldnt GM have made a light weigth cheap, well handling, POS in the 80's. Now that would be the perfect car to put this in and go have fun in Street Mod.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    uve been beat my bud is doing it right now
    lol
    i like how as soon as i bring this up here everyone starts to look at wrecked gxp.redlines fucking competition geeze
    didn't realize it was a competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    Dammit why couldnt GM have made a light weigth cheap, well handling, POS in the 80's. Now that would be the perfect car to put this in and go have fun in Street Mod.
    '88 Fiero, Lotus did the suspension the last year they made them.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    '88 Fiero, Lotus did the suspension the last year they made them.
    Good point, I managed to find the chevy chevette after that but I would have to blast it 400 pounds the fiero I would have to just somehow pull 100-300 pounds out of it without gutting the interior.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!