Thread: Lucas 01D030x 42.5 Offset specs

Tuner in Training

Lucas 01D030x 42.5 Offset specs

Forgive me if this is buried somewhere, but I have been unable to locate any data on these injectors other than their flow rate.

Looking for some Offset data.

A couple words of caution:
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    I don't think even the original manufacturer of these (Lucas) has the right data to use them in a modern application. They're an ancient design that only wins on price...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25776
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28029
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Since the injectors are physically different, their behavior between the time when current is initially applied and when fuel starts flowing in a linear relationship to total open time is different. This means that they'd need unique values in the Injector Offset (vs Volts, MAP) and Short Pulse Adder tables that describe this physical behavior. Even worse, I've yet to see good statistical raw data on the actual mass delivered vs pulsewidth that would be used to create these calibration values in the tune in the first place. Any attempt at tuning these tables without the proper data is, at best, a guess.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35026
    That being said, what follows is my personal best guess. YMMV
    Injector Offset vs Battery Voltage

[TinyTunerData]
    Volts msec
    0 0.5623078
    1 0.5623078
    2 0.5623078
    3 0.5623078
    4 0.5623078
    5 8.389025
    6 3.48023
    7 2.142849
    8 1.519751
    9 1.139813
    10 0.8814555
    11 0.7142829
    12 0.5623078
    13 0.4863203
    14 0.3799377
    15 0.2583576
    16 0.1823701
    17 0.1215801
    18 0.06079004
    19 0.03039502
    20 0
    21 0
    22 0
    23 0
    24 0
    25 0
    26 0

Tried pasting the HPT table but, it pans out horizontally and is more cumbersome to edit.
    Last edited by passingpower; 11-04-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Made the table easier to read
    Check before you consider tuning;
    Is the MIL on? ANY leaks-vacuum, fluid or exhaust? Clogged filters? Old O2 or dirty MAF sensors? Dirty injectors, PCV or IAC passage? Correct the condition. Change the plugs & oil while you're at it. They need it anyway. Particular system giving you fits? Visually examine the related wiring first.

Tuner in Training
    Having read a bit last night, I would have never purchased these injectors knowing what I know now.

Numbers are very similar to what I had.

Thanks for your help.

Will see how this goes.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matt5112 View Post
    Having read a bit last night, I would have never purchased these injectors knowing what I know now.

Numbers are very similar to what I had.

Thanks for your help.

Will see how this goes.
    good thing i never jumped the 42.5 bandwagon and plan on getting bosch green tops for my swap

Tuner in Training
    I picked them up used for a fair price back in the day.

My other question to passingpower is: Offset vs PW vs MAP.

You mentioned elsewhere you didn't use it on your manifold/boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

Curious as to the why and the specifics of not using 99% of it.

Offset vs PW vs MAP describes to the PCM how increases in pressure across the injector hold the pintle closed longer as magnetic saturation builds to a point strong enough to overcome the spring AND fuel pressure. The 97-03 GTs & GTPs use a 1:1 manifold referenced FP regulator. (If you find yourse isn't 1:1 and it's not intentially modded or aftermarket, it should be replaced instead of tuned around.) Because L36 & L67 injectors only see 3.5 bar, only the numbers corresponding to 3.5 bar are used.

My remark about a "true" vacuum reference refers to my Fuel pump rewire. Stock W-bodys were outfitted with 18ga. wire powering the pump. Scarcely adequate for the L36 and hopeless for the fuel needs of the L67. Refer to the 97 GTP IFR table; flat. On paper, our pumps have no trouble feeding six of our injectors @ 80-90% duty cycle. In reality, it's not cost effective to install cable heavy enough to guarantee sufficient current to the FP. Everything is ok until we hit WOT: fuel demand increases, as does flow. At some point the regulator pinches off the return flow and demand continues to increase. *Rail pressure drops and the pump tries to keep up. It can't because the 18 ga. wire limits current and in turn, voltage to the pump. The end result is that the system is no longer regulated 1:1. Engineers would have realized the problems from the dealership complaints. Did GMPT upgrade the wiring? No. They hacked the tune and released an "update" to their service departments. Refer to a stock 98-03 IFR; A sloped table on a 1:1 referenced return system. On top of that, the 0, 10, and 20 kPa vacuum points are even more steeply sloped. That was to compensate for the increased pump speed in the 98-99 releases. When they omited the dual speed pump design in 2000, they forgot to update the IFR. Heck! GMPT even neglected to disable the two speed switching in the OS. They simply removed the wiring and the relays.

I rewired my FP with some 12 ga. wire soldered in paralel with the stock #18 from the relay/fuse block to the connector of the pump. Plenty of current for the pump, plenty of gas for the 3800. Easier to tune with a flat IFR and an Offset vs PW vs MAP table that doesn't need as much attention.
    Last edited by passingpower; 11-06-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Is the MIL on? ANY leaks-vacuum, fluid or exhaust? Clogged filters? Old O2 or dirty MAF sensors? Dirty injectors, PCV or IAC passage? Correct the condition. Change the plugs & oil while you're at it. They need it anyway. Particular system giving you fits? Visually examine the related wiring first.

i've been struggling for the last month trying to get my ford green top 42lb injectors to work right.. i dont really recommend them either. but if somebody gets them to work well let me know. i think its a lack of tables. sucks.
    2001 3.8 v6 camaro, T5, ford 42lb green top injectors, grand national .63 a/r turbo. 8psi. stock motor, ngk tr6 plugs (one step colder) 91 octane.

2001 4.3 zr2 s10. daily driver, 31" tires, 4x4, cat! and exhaust. looking for mpg.

VCMedit beta has the tables you need.

Tuner in Training
    Car seems to run great.

Thanks again.

I'm very glad to hear that.