Thread: 3 bar map, turbo 4.3, no maf, in a 98 GMC Jimmy

Tuner in Training

3 bar map, turbo 4.3, no maf, in a 98 GMC Jimmy

This will be my first time tuning a non-maf turbo 4.3.
    I've done the speed density LS stuff plenty. I havent looked yet but I'm already pretty sure there wont be a 3 bar speed density OS available.

Customer coming in this weekend for me to take a look. 98 Jimmy, 4.3, mild heads/cam/intake, intercooled rear turbo, healthy fuel system, no maf, 3 bar map wired in, 65lb injectors. He has an electromotive ecu/setup for the truck but wants to try the stock ecu/harness first.

Is this tune even possible with the current combination on the stock ecu with HPT ?

Senior Tuner
    Only possible if he converts to the "0411" style PCM used in the 01 and up S-Series. Those have 2 and 3 bar OS upgrades available. The 04 PCM only has a 2 bar OS.

I don't think the 98 PCM will even read the 3 bar MAP properly and I don't think they have mapped the MAP sensor scaling constants for those PCM's.
    Jaime

Want to convert 03 S10 to 0411 pcm

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Only possible if he converts to the "0411" style PCM used in the 01 and up S-Series. Those have 2 and 3 bar OS upgrades available. The 04 PCM only has a 2 bar OS.

I don't think the 98 PCM will even read the 3 bar MAP properly and I don't think they have mapped the MAP sensor scaling constants for those PCM's.

Thanks for this post. I have a quick question. I have one source telling me that my 2003 S10 will not convert to the 0411 pcm because my truck has the blue/green connectors vs. the blue/red that are used with the 0411... Any input on this conflict? I'm running a wynjammer on my 4.3 and would love to eventually run my truck at higher boost in the future. Thank you.
    Last edited by natewhite1; 11-22-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natewhite1 View Post
    Thanks for this post. I have a quick question. I have one source telling me that my 2003 S10 will not convert to the 0411 pcm because my truck has the blue/green connectors vs. the blue/red that are used with the 0411... Any input on this conflict? I'm running a wynjammer on my 4.3 and would love to eventually run my truck at higher boost in the future. Thank you.
    I have used Red/blue PCM's with Green/Blue connectors. You only need to cut the little tab on the connector to make it fit. Check wiring first
    It works good

Thanks.

Montecarlodrag... Thanks for the reply... One more question if I may?

When you say check wiring, are you asking me to check to make sure the pinouts match? Or, just make sure I have a true Blue/Green plug? Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    There are some slight differences in the pinout of the green vs, the red connector, but it can be converted. I would get a red connector and a wiring diagram for both and repin for the red. It is a little tedious and requires a little organization and pre planning, but it can be done. If you are not very comfortable with wiring then you should seek some help.
    Jaime

Where is a good place to locate a red connector?

ElecTech:

Thanks. Where is a good place to locate a red connector? Can I buy one online, or do I have to go to a wrecking yard and cut it out? Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    ElecTech:

Thanks. Where is a good place to locate a red connector? Can I buy one online, or do I have to go to a wrecking yard and cut it out? Thanks.
    http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=286

This is a good place. All you really need is the red retainers, as the connector body is the same. You could also do the wrecking yard.
    Jaime

1,2 & 3 bar SD is available for your S10.

Russ Kemp

Montecarlodrag... Thanks for the reply... One more question if I may?

When you say check wiring, are you asking me to check to make sure the pinouts match? Or, just make sure I have a true Blue/Green plug? Thanks.
    Yes, as Electech said, there are differences between the two pinouts.
    However, you can modify them without much work.
    You need both wiring diagrams and a fair knowledge to do it. The pins can be changed to any position easily.