Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2006 LSJ Cobalt Idle Issue

Advanced Tuner
    Post the log when it dies... when my sensor was bad it threw a code right away...

ill get the scanner up and running and grab a new log. it didnt play when i did it.

heres the 2 newest idle logs.. with stock throttle body

only code is for high idle speed

possible injector issue or vac leak im not seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    idle surge fix uploaded. i have held onto this lil tid bit for quite sometime. when i did the 272's in my lsj a long ass time ago. it makes the lsj idle so much better and has good cam control/idle control.

figured it's time to give a bit back.

you need the beta, put the stock tb back on it. it's setup for it, with some added help.

major changes made to the timing tables
    base idle timing
    coastdown
    underspeed/overspeed
    etc area scaler
    bumps in maf scaling smoothed.
    I've got my car pretty smooth on idle these days, but I'm always willing to give your suggestions a shot. Just one question. In the overspeed and underspeed tables, why is the 480 RPM cell so different that the surrounding cells?

Senior Tuner
    no idea why it didn't copy over. attached is the fixed version of it.

plus some more changes. on coast down the ecm sometimes references to the HO timing table. re-did the entire thing in the timing side., plus some other lil things.

anywho, give it a shot. this should help with the random stalling. if not. look for vacuum leaks.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

thanks again man. i will try it tmw first chance i get. cant thank ya enough

Tuner in Training
    Area, Im going to try copying to the tables that you said you changed into my tune to see how it reacts if thats ok with you. It idles amazing on 7* of timing on these ID1k's, but I have a little stutter if I stab the gas from idle, and it goes real rich for a second if Im taking off and the rpms get below about 850. I always chalked that up to running such large injectors on the stock returnless 4bar system, but im always down to try something that can help.

Advanced Tuner
    Those over/under speed tables look much better... I was wondering how you got those values from the tune before.

OP let us know how it works out..

definitely will update everyone tonight.. work till 430 .. should have an update by 530 or 6

Infra how do u like the ID1000s? u running e85?

also curious to hear what kind of timing does your car idle at?

mines was at -3.5 before... We'll see about tonight

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06_sic_ss View Post
    Infra how do u like the ID1000s? u running e85?
    I like them a lot. Gave me a lot more headroom over the 80's on the stock system on E85. Area gave me some tips on how to get them to work when I got them so I didnt have to start from scratch. Still had to put a lot of work into tuning them though.

Mine likes to idle at 7* of timing with the stock TB scaler and under/overspeed tables. Any more than that and the idle would bob just a little. Ill see what it does with the tables he posted in your tune though.

Advanced Tuner

OP the reason you were going - timing was your tune more than likely. The other time I have seen - timing at idle was when the cams were timed wrong.. But you dont have the cam/crank correlation code that would go with that.

You have to be very careful with timing in the negative numbers, EGT will sky rocket and it could ef something up. When I was tuning my cams I saw my header glow red because of the negative timing.

Quote Originally Posted by InfraRedline View Post
    I like them a lot. Gave me a lot more headroom over the 80's on the stock system on E85. Area gave me some tips on how to get them to work when I got them so I didnt have to start from scratch. Still had to put a lot of work into tuning them though.
    Those are my next injectors. I have 80s when the BRFS but I was in the 80% at 18 psi on my turbo I am going to bump the base FP up when I am ready to run 30 psi but I dont think itll be enough with E85..

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRedline View Post
    Area, Im going to try copying to the tables that you said you changed into my tune to see how it reacts if thats ok with you. It idles amazing on 7* of timing on these ID1k's, but I have a little stutter if I stab the gas from idle, and it goes real rich for a second if Im taking off and the rpms get below about 850. I always chalked that up to running such large injectors on the stock returnless 4bar system, but im always down to try something that can help.
    if you don't have the right scaling for the id1k's. you will never get rid of it. there are a couple "tables" floating around out there that are close. not exact.

Advanced Tuner
    Doesnt ID have injector data? How correct is that? I have never dealt with those injectors yet.

just tried the newest tune. attached is the log. car fired right up and idled smoother than it ever had. noticed the timing at idle was floating around 0. but still died after a couple minutes.. then tried to fire it back up and had bad surging. again. no leaks to be found. need more timing maybe?

the attached log is from very first start up until it dies. its much smoother than its ever been before.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HNRClothing View Post
    Doesnt ID have injector data? How correct is that? I have never dealt with those injectors yet.
    not for an lsj.

paul yaw and myself spent the better part of a week working on the tables. mainly him, and me being the test monkey.

just tried the newest tune. attached is the log. car fired right up and idled smoother than it ever had. noticed the timing at idle was floating around 0. but still died after a couple minutes.. then tried to fire it back up and had bad surging. again. no leaks to be found. need more timing maybe?

the attached log is from very first start up until it dies. its much smoother than its ever been before.
    uumm. zero? the ecm is commanding 10. might want to try a new cam and crank sensor

i looked at that within the tune also. would there be any other reason its pulling all the timing?

that may very well be the issue. though odd its never died while actually driving.. only idling.

im going to pick up a cam and crank sensor tomorrow. see what it does. ill post up