Thread: need a good tune on 5.3

need a good tune on 5.3

i need help tuning on my 05 chevy 5.3 z71 i have 342 gears intake tb spacer descreened maf sensor 35in tires 8.5 msd wires new to tuning so need help plz

Step 1. Remove the intake throttle body spacer.

Step 2. Put the stock MAF sensor back in.

Step 3. Re-gear with 4.10 or 4.56 gears. Consider ditching the 10 bolt for a 6 lug 14 bolt.

Step 4. Install a bigger tranny cooler.

Then come back to tuning.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

thanks was considering 411 front and rear is their a way to tune it good for now just so i can keep up damn my truck is good stock just slugish in take off thats why i got hp tuners to increase hp and tq and longtube on the way

HP tuners will be useful for you to tell your PCM that you got new 4.11 gears. I'd do those right away, as well as get a bigger tranny cooler. Your transmission is going to puke its guts all over the place if you start tuning the engine for more power and remove all the torque management currently protecting your transmission.

I'm dead serious when I say tune AFTER switching to 4.11's/4.56's. I'd actually go 4.56's instead.
    -Patrick

Advanced Tuner
    yeah 3.42s with 35s has got to be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by PitchblackC3 View Post
    yeah 3.42s with 35s has got to be awful.
    I'm sure it can pull it off, the 5.3 has great torque. The Vette's and Camaro's do 1600rpm's just like his truck does at 70mph...only difference is 2000lbs and a hellluva lot more wind resistance/rolling resistance. The 4L60 can only take so much heat in overdrive before you lose 3 and 4.
    -Patrick

yep 35s on 3.42 gears ya notice quite a bit of torque lost...but with the tm removed feels like its stock again, and still pulls hard up top
    2011 2500hd WT all stock leveled 33 grabber at2 plow truck toy hauler... Learning to tune....

86 grand national stock motor, stock trans, te 44 turbo, splash of alky 25lbs of boost. Waiting to see the track.....

As mentioned before, remove throttle spacer. They just disrupt smooth airflow into the intake manifold. And put the screen back on the MAF, it's designed to have straight airflow go over the sensor for smooth readings and engine management.

Than clean the MAF and start with VE tuning, MAF tuning and than tune ignition timing, PE delay and trans.
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 10-16-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Custom PCM Tuning in Hollywood Ca

thanks guys for all the great info