Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the benefit of the 12200411 PCM?

Question What's the benefit of the 12200411 PCM?

I currently have a 09354896 PCM from a '00 model year 5.3L truck in an off-road project of mine which is controlling the 5.3L/4L60. Today I was walking through the junkyard and noticed a '411' PCM sitting in a wrecked '02 Silverado. I've been in the LS-engine scene long enough to hear about the '411' PCM being the ideal one to have, but I've never understood why, so I bought it lol .

What's the scoop behind this PCM and why is it sought after so much? If there are reasons why I should swap PCM's to this model, what should I look out for as far as the tune goes (obviously doing a write-entire to upload my tune into the PCM but anything else?)? Is there any reason why this 411 PCM wouldn't work with an '00 5.3L, '01 4L60 and electric fans? Would I need to send my tune in to have anything unlocked?
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

Senior Tuner
    In my expieriance they are interchangeable. Your pcm was only production 99-00, the 0411 is a service update. No idea as to the changes, but they must be minimal. Have swaped operating systems without issue, so far....

Is it any faster to read/write to? I know whenever I upload tunes to the current PCM it takes 6 minutes. Other vehicles I've uploaded tunes for are finished in like 30-40 seconds for a 'write changes only'.
    -Patrick

Senior Tuner
    Not that I am aware of, I think when I have done them they are just as fast.

Advanced Tuner
    I think a lot of the buzz about the 0411 came from early adopters like painless requiring that customers use a 0411 with their harnesses, even though there were several other interchangeable numbers.
    There is no advantage to one over the other as long as the tune you want to load in is compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat456 View Post
    Is it any faster to read/write to? I know whenever I upload tunes to the current PCM it takes 6 minutes. Other vehicles I've uploaded tunes for are finished in like 30-40 seconds for a 'write changes only'.
    Something is WRONG if it takes 6 minutes...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Something is WRONG if it takes 6 minutes...
    I agree...when I try to upload a tune with the "high speed" method enabled, it fails during the upload. Therefore, the only way I can upload tunes is to uncheck the high speed box, which is super slow. A write entire/read entire, takes 25 minutes.
    -Patrick

Advanced Tuner
    I got the 411 to upgrade from the 98 pcm.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wyochimneysweep View Post
    I got the 411 to upgrade from the 98 pcm.
    98 f body is a different story. It is not compatible with either of the listed pcms.

Advanced Tuner
    whats the difference in the 98 f body?
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Senior Tuner
    one year only odd ball computer that is not compatible with any of the 0411 pcms.

Advanced Tuner
    wierd.......

So What Are The Pros to the 0411

I was wondering if someone had a numerical/bullet point list of pro's of the 0411 and some of the cans/cannots of the computer.

For example:
    1) a) 0411 comes in 512kb and 1mb options... correct? What are the differences?
    b) If so, what would work best with my boosted 03 S10?

2) a) Can I run a MAF setup with 2 and 3 BAR maps?
    b) Would this require a custom OS? And if so, what is the cost? 2 credits, or paying someone to create it?

3) Does it matter what year of 0411 you obtain? For example, were the 0411's programmed with different options for different vehicles and years?

This one was just answered recently
    4) The 0411 is a Blue/Red plug... Will the Blue/Green plug work with it?
    ANSWER: "I have used Red/blue PCM's with Green/Blue connectors. You only need to cut the little tab on the connector to make it fit. Check wiring first
    It works good"

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by natewhite1 View Post
    I was wondering if someone had a numerical/bullet point list of pro's of the 0411 and some of the cans/cannots of the computer.

For example:
    1) a) 0411 comes in 512kb and 1mb options... correct? NO What are the differences? The 1mb is not an 0411 and will not accept the 0411 OS's
    b) If so, what would work best with my boosted 03 S10? Depends on how much boost. Most of the 1mb OS have a 2 bar Speed Density custom OS supported

2) a) Can I run a MAF setup with 2 and 3 BAR maps? NO Speed density only with the custom OS
    b) Would this require a custom OS? And if so, what is the cost? 2 credits, or paying someone to create it? Yes, yes, and yes.

3) Does it matter what year of 0411 you obtain? Not really, you just need to load the proper OS for your application. For example, were the 0411's programmed with different options for different vehicles and years?

This one was just answered recently
    4) The 0411 is a Blue/Red plug... Will the Blue/Green plug work with it?
    ANSWER: "I have used Red/blue PCM's with Green/Blue connectors. You only need to cut the little tab on the connector to make it fit. Check wiring first
    It works good"

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Jaime

For what its worth I am running a 2 bar Custom OS on my 411 ECU and I have disabled my VE table and tune purely MAF

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Internally they are identical. One would be hard pressed to find any obvious differences. What Is suspect is the 0411 is a cost reduced 4896 or 4895 PCM.

I used to work for a company and we were a tier 1 GM supplier, we often had to take out different PN's for minor changes on our end for GM to track the parts in production. Could be software, could be hardware, could be anything that tripped a reason to have traceability on the PCM.

In our case it was a "fit, form or function" change to trigger a new PN, GM seems to be a bit more than that.

It might even been as simple as the moved the production line from one facility to another, even from one line to another line. Yes, it gets that anal at times.... When we moved our production down to Mexico (thank you Bill and NAFTA and lost over a thousand jobs here in the Northern, IL....), we had to take out all new internal model numbers as well as all new GM model numbers. Heck, I had to take out PN's for reg production and PN's for repair channels. So they knew EXACTLY where everything came from.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    In my expieriance they are interchangeable. Your pcm was only production 99-00, the 0411 is a service update. No idea as to the changes, but they must be minimal. Have swaped operating systems without issue, so far....

Ben C how do I get what you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    For what its worth I am running a 2 bar Custom OS on my 411 ECU and I have disabled my VE table and tune purely MAF
    Ben thanks for the input. I'm not looking for freebies, but I had a few questions based on what you stated above:

1) How does running full MAF and no VE affect the vehicle (Pros/Cons)?
    2) Where did you get the custom OS? If you did it yourself, would you be willing to let me know how to do it? (Understand if you say no. )
    3) And, can your OS sustain up to 3 bars? (Thinking of the future. )

Definitely appreciate your input. Thanks.

1) How does running full MAF and no VE affect the vehicle (Pros/Cons)?
    Gm uses a system of using both, some V6 cars just use Pure MAF from what I have been told. Some people like myself just tune pure MAF (ford does this as well). The thing is only way the ECU will know how much fuel to add is based off the MAF, but its rare that a MAF Fails. Probably have better luck getting hit by lighting

2) Where did you get the custom OS?
    You just have to spend an extra 2 credits to have a custom operating system, you can do 3 bar, there is an option for that.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

The only difference between the '4896 and the '0411 PCM's is the processor was an upgraded motorola chip on the '0411. Other than that the operating system is mainly the only difference between the years. I've used both PCM's and it is not noticeable in scanning or uploading tune files, the processor is mainly for executing code and even then you'll not notice any difference in them.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Of the ones I have looked at in person (I do Bricked PCM repairs), I haven't seen any different PN's on the processors, nor any other of the IC's.

The 2003-up is a diff processor.

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    The only difference between the '4896 and the '0411 PCM's is the processor was an upgraded motorola chip on the '0411. Other than that the operating system is mainly the only difference between the years. I've used both PCM's and it is not noticeable in scanning or uploading tune files, the processor is mainly for executing code and even then you'll not notice any difference in them.