Thread: 411 vcm flash question

Potential Tuner

411 vcm flash question

ok here is what I have planed. I want to put an Allison tranny in my 1999 7.4l 2500 truck ( I am still looking at the physical specs to see if it will fit without too much work)

So I have read a lot on this 411 vcm swap, and it looks good, my big question is if I get a 411 vcm out of a 2001 and up truck with a 8.1l and an Allison tranny would I have to refresh it, or could I use that vcm program as a baseline to start tuning? Everyone is saying that I have to flash to the van program first then to the file I want, why do that when the vcm has the file I want from the start? As for credits, swill have to use some to get the new vcm into my system but if I want to change the vin number in the new 411 vcm will I need to re buy credits to use it again. These may be stupid questions but I am new to the whole hptuner program..

also what would I need for the ally to work? Ie wiring and electronics

thanx for any help!!!!!!!

Senior Tuner
    This is all theoritical as I have not done it, you just raised my curiousity enough to look. You have to use the early 2000 van file becasue the engine you are using only has a 4 x crank sensor. All newer engines have different crank sensor and operating systems. Then you need to have a segment swap done because that series of engine never had an allison behind it. I didnt think it would exist, but in my collection of files I actually found 2 compatible operating systems. Your next move would be to send these to support and see if they can perform the segment swap. To complete this, you are going to need a complete wiring harness from a 8.1/allison combo and modify it to fit your truck. You are going to have to spend some time tuning it to cause the data from the original file will not go straigh accross.
    I cannot gaurentee any of this will work. I still strongly suggest just buying a built up 4l85. Whatever your choice, good luck. And if you make it work I want to hear about it!

Potential Tuner
    thanx for the files I am going to keep them in my file database, I would like to do the swap, with the Allison, but right now I need my truck asap so its a crate 4l85e from gm performance, With a gear vender splitter. That will give me a 8 speed transmission . If this setup works good I just may keep the setup, it has great potential.

Senior Tuner
    Make sure that trans will work with your truck, I believe the way gm provides it the pressure control solenoid is not compatible with your computer.

Potential Tuner
    thanx for the info. i was going to call my gm buddy tuesday and ask for details on the tranny.

are there any places you think have a good product. that io can order up a new tranny from..

the local shop did some work on my truck and just screwed the thing up. when i took it to them the thing ran like a top had a tune done and was great. they where to swap out injectors because i had a hot start problem, so what they found was a busted fuel rail so the changed that and swapped out the injectors anyways this all took 3 weeks. supper slow....... so get my truck back and it runs like crap.. fuel mileage went to pot and every time i put it in rev the thing died.. so i take it back and ask them for the old injectors, well they tossed them. ok well... told them to get it working. theu come up with the maf is gone from my k&n filter, right!!!! they say this is why my motor is not working.. I tell them the maf in not used they try to tell me this is not possibly... i put then in touch with the guy that did the first tune he tells them the same thing i did.. they tell me i have to have it reflashed to the stock program.. i tell them this is bs... it ran great before they touched it it was just hard starting... so i flash it back to stock to show then it bs and the mileage did not change and it still dies and then three days latter the tranny starts to act up i take it back and they say noting is wrong they take it for a drive and it slips like crazy and they say its all good.. so i flash it back to the tune that has been in there before but its to late the damage is done.

i have a question for you all if they put in the wrong injectors could this have messed up the tables and told the tranny to shift wrong and screwed the tranny up? i think i know the answer but would like to hear it from someone that knows a lot about this as they know nothing...

ps can you turn off the maf so totally? they say the tranny still needs it. whats the verdict on this i have my tune to check out bellow too.

also does this look like a good tune or a hack...

Senior Tuner
    Just check on the trans, they may offer a version that works, and I may be wrong. But I believe 99 was the last year of one method of control. I have heard you can just put the old style valve body on and be fine, I have done it with 4l60s but never tried with an 80.
    Not there to see the rest so cant really speak to it. Wrong injectors could definatly hurt things.
    Tune has maf disabled. Has been reworked, cant really say how well without a scan. Timing looks a little aggressive for what I normally see on them.

Potential Tuner
    so the maf is not used for the tranny in my tune?

Senior Tuner
    I believe it was used for the load calculations, but with it disabled it runs off of the ve. If it worked after your tune, that was not the issue. I have a stock 99 file if you want to flash back and see.

Potential Tuner
    I have one stock but I can never have to many. Thanx

Senior Tuner
    To fail the maf it sets a code, most likely why they blamed the maf.