Thread: I know it's bad, how bad is it?

Tuner in Training

I know it's bad, how bad is it?

Ok, I am new at this, so please be kind. I have been looking through tuning guides and the like and decided to look at the tune in my 04 Maggied CTS-V that I paid a very reputable shop in the DC area to complete almost a year ago (I have been in Iraq for almost the whole year, so I have not driven it much at all).

Anyhow, I noticed that when accelerating there would be a delayed response, and then a lunge after an almost three second delay. I had a broken drivers side mount so I figured this was the culprit. Well, solid mounts and it is still there so I decided to check the tune...I am pretty horrified that all the O2 sensor DTC's for have been disabled (except for the heater ckt), especially on a boosted motor.

I did a quick log and LT bank 1 is -100 at all times. Can you guys educate me on what all else is incorrect with this? Thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner
    Are you familiar with the compare feature in hpt? You can load your file and a stock file at the same time. Visually anything different is green. There is also a comparison log that will tell you each table that is changed. You should do this.
    Your injector flow rate was modified, but none of the other data for the injectors. Very important to low speed engine operation. Complete injector data is needed. Your MAF and VE tables are stock, no mods were made. Your PE table is what was used to bring in extra fueling. I believe your PE settings may be what is causing your delay.
    I am not sure what is causing ltft to be -100, but you need to figure that out before proceding.
    If you choose to take it on on your own, large gains in driveablity and power will be found. You need to get a wideband. 69LT1bird has a guide in his signiture. Something else you may want to consider is going to a 2 bar setup. It is not mandatory, but I prefer is on these type of setups. You will require a 2 bar map sensor and 2 credits to update to custom operating systm. Do some reading on here, make a choice on what you want to do.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 10-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Mecanicman, thanks yet again for your assistance. I was unaware of the "compare" feature but have now used it a few times on a stock and maggie tune found in the tune repository and can now see exactly what you are talking about.

Anyhow, being that this set up puts out a tad over 8 PSI it looks like the two BAR tune is the way to go about correcting this. I have a wideband on the way as I was going to try my hand at tuning my Silverado after putting the cam in. Unfortunately, a custom two BAR tune is realistically outside the ability of a newb so I will probably defer to someone for assistance.

I have to say, even though it is talked about all the time, it is amazing that people can charge sooo much for total garbage.

Senior Tuner
    Actually I would say tuning a 2bar is easiar then tuning a map/maf combo, but that is your choice.