Thread: 1999 Vortec 5.7s (alot of questions)

Potential Tuner

1999 Vortec 5.7s (alot of questions)

I am trying to diagnose a Misfire Cyln4 304 error that is driving me nuts. I want to find out if the tuner might help me find out the problem as well as tune up my vehicles.

I have a 1999 Suburban 1500 5.7(R) vortec as well as a 1999 C2500 with a 5.7(R) Vortec.

I have changed over the Suburban from the Central point injection to the new Multi-point injection which helped the engine a ton....a mod I HIGHLY recommend!

What I would like to know:
    1. can the tuner help me diagnose the problem.
    2. Let me tune the gas delivery to optimize the mileage of the vehicles
    3. Tune the transmission so I get better shift point and firmness
    4. are there "standard" parameter files or numbers that people have developed that I can plug in my trucks?

What else can I tinker with in these engines to get them to run better and get better mileage.

One last thing, I was thinking about converting the belt driven fan to an electric one but need to find out if I can use/program the ECM to turn on and off the fans (for temp and for A/C)

I know this is a lot to ask but I don't know where else to start.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Adam_NG; 10-07-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: make clearer

I don't think HP Tuners supports the 5.7L Vortecs. I'm in the same boat as I have a 96 Vortec 5.7L in my 67 pickup and would love to be able to tune it.

Advanced Tuner
    yes, it does. But only the 98-up. His 99 is supported.

Quote Originally Posted by PitchblackC3 View Post
    yes, it does. But only the 98-up. His 99 is supported.
    That's interesting. I don't want to hijack the thread, but can you tell me if a 98-99 ECM will work with my 96 harness?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HRD View Post
    That's interesting. I don't want to hijack the thread, but can you tell me if a 98-99 ECM will work with my 96 harness?

You have to re pin the harness for a 98-99 ecm or go to a 411pcm and re pin for it
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85