Thread: New to OBD I tuning 1992 Chevy

Potential Tuner

New to OBD I tuning 1992 Chevy

Hi,

I am new to tuning, and I am hoping someone can help me get on track. I do not know exactly the tuning software, cable, etc. that I will need so can someone give me some options? I am building a 1992 Fullsize Blazer with a 388 stroker, and I want to get the most potential from the motor, and I want to do it myself. I have been doing reading, and understand some things that need to be changed, but I have no clue where to begin with fuel, air, shift points, etc. Can anyone give me some advice or a possible good book to read that might explain what I need? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    you got to know what you want for fuel injection and what tranny you going to use. a 4l60e or 4l80e
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Advanced Tuner
    If your staying with obd 1 ecm I got a eprom programmer if you need one.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Potential Tuner
    wyochimneysweep, I plan on running a built 700r4 transmission, and as far as fuel injection it will most likely be factory tbi with aftermarket 90lbs injectors. The truck already has a Walbro high volume fuel pump. I plan on keeping everything factory with ecm, prom, etc so maybe I will be needing your programmer. Can I ask why I will need your programmer? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    obd1 you have to program the eeprom. you can't flash the ecm via the data port. and If your running a bigger engine and bigger cam you'll want to change parameters so it will run right. I got the apu1 autoprom usb version. I missed placed the obd-1 cable and the emulation cable but got all the other parts. also for a tbi ecm you need to solder in a eeprom adapter which is the g2 adapter on moates page. I could solder this into one of the ecms i have here and send it to you also if your comfortable doing that. I take 250 for the autoprom shipped if I find the cables. be a little less if i cant. and 50 for the ecm with a g2 adapted installed.

Tuner in Training

obd 1 1992 chev TBI

how is your project coming along? what intake manifold did you use for your 383? The Edelbrock 3705 works reasonably well, however more work can be done to it to help it along. If you are interested email me and I can tell you what we did to them and it helped out a bunch. You can also rework the factory pressure regulator also. You don't need to purchase an adjustable unit.
    You can also go for a 454 Tb. 454 injectors I believe will be more injector than you will need. At least that's what we found out. Got Black smoke.
    I hope this will help you if you desire the info.
    Good luck
    Mike