Thread: Acceptable idle AFR?

Acceptable idle AFR?

2000 Camaro Z28, LS1 M6, Custom Tq Cam, FAST 102/NW102, 42# LS1 injectors, 243 heads.

I'm working on dialing back the min injector pulsewidth to get the idle airflow and AFR where it should be.

I got my 42's dialed down to .790 (Min Inj PW) and it hits 16:1 frequently and maybe hit 17:1 a couple times. When it settles down it will hover around 14:1.

What else can I do to correct idle enrichment/AFR?
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 05-10-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

Your open loop F/A vs. coolant temp vs. map (EQ ratio) is commanding values that are all over the place which might be part of what you're fighting. Try setting the rows between 140 and 248*F all to =1 while blending the neighboring cells so the transitions are less dramatic. For now I'd disable closed loop by setting the temps to max (284*F?) and work on your base running airflow with either the RussK config or the idle-config.

See here.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36318
    Last edited by Rinkrat456; 10-06-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

^ Ahh.. Thanks dude. I haven't looked at that yet. I've been trying to stick to metric, seeing as it is typically more precise, but I'll convert for now and work on that table. I'll post up this weekend and see how things go. The idle AFR seems to be all over the place come to think of it. before I started changing anything with the tune, the idle would have a mind of its own. Sometimes it would bog and surge and if I let it wait and warm up, it would be fine but was hit or miss if it would bog and try to stall when I go to take off or steer.

I'm in the early stages of straightening out a REALLY bad tune I got ripped off for earlier this year (started with fuel system corrections,) so I'm taking one thing at a time, and waiting to find a reasonable way to get my WB02 hooked to HPT (non-pro) so I can straighten out the VE tables next.
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 10-04-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Like this?? I set those to 1.00 as suggested, then interpolated between the far left cold temps and the 140* zone.

That will certainly work. There's a few ways to skin the cat for that table and what you did will work.

Don't forget to force the engine into open loop for now (while tuning running airflow at least) and read up on that link I posted to take care of the rest of the idle.
    -Patrick

^ Good deal.. Thanks again for the help. I'm reading up on your link now. My main problem was, I paid this joker to tune it (He's got a shop) but he turned out to be a VERY expensive hack. People said he was pricey, but DOES know how to tune.. From what I keep finding; he does not..

-Patrick

^ And I was reading through your thread and got to the spark advance section, in park. Why does this table just not look right to me? I'm trying to chase a surging idle. I haven't ran a log on it yet, mostly because not much shows up. I cleared the LTFTs yesterday and that seemed to cure it, but once it relearned after a full drive cycle, it came back. Gotta be fuel related? It does it when it feels like it on both a hot start and even after it's been sitting for an hour or two. I'm gonna hook up the EGR/WB wires today to try and start working on this VE table. And the rolling idle will race to 1800rpm if I stick the clutch on the HW, for instance.

But anyway.. Why does this just not look right to me? 34* advance and drastic steps.

-=EDIT=-
    I DID find that there were still spark values for the EGR correction. I zero'd that small population.. That's fine, right? Maybe that's what I've been chasing.
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 10-09-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Your in-drive and in-park spark tables look backwards to me.

Try something for kicks...return your in-drive and in-park tables back to factory '00 f-body except for the rows 0.08-.28g/cyl by 0-1200rpms inclusive. Make that square "idle" box of cells match your high and low octane tables and make sure the transition from one cell to another is minimal.

Like so.
    -Patrick

^ Yeah, I posted this before I really studied the differences with the tables, and I noticed it was backwards too. I may pull a stock tune and just return the values to that and adjust accordingly. -Like you said..

And I've found that I don't have any SOLID g/sec air flow numbers for this setup. I may just hook up my stock MAF and repopulate the tables accurately so I can get some actual numbers instead of guessing at this. (as far as the idle numbers and lower bank #'s.) Just soldered in the EGR/WB fix, and I've ran out of time for this weekend, so I'll have to continue this maybe during the week..

But I'm a tech for a living as it is, so my brain is pretty much fried when I get home.. And this may sound dumb, but where do I find the commanded AFR? I remember seeing it when I was having the car tuned back in the spring, but I've always been curious as to where the setting was. Stoich minus a certain number?
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 10-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.