Thread: 2001 z28 2bar OS and MAF ungrade help

2001 z28 2bar OS and MAF ungrade help

I did a search and couldnt find my specific questions/answers.

Im going with a turbo setup, so I plan to go with the 2 bar SD OS. I already have an upgraded MAP sensor. Is there a way to also use the MAF with this OS? I assume since it's considered an SD OS that it is turned off or something.

I realize, if I can use a MAF, that it will max out in high output conditions. What actually happens when it maxes out? Does it disable the MAF and just use the MAP input? Is this disabled until it is back in an acceptable region or until power to the computer is recycled (car restarted)?

Also, I would like to go with a larger diameter intake plumbing, so I'd like to get you opinions on the best strategy for my MAF (type, style). I currently have no MAF, so i might as well choose a good option. I'm going with a custom wiring harness and reprogram, so as long as it can be wired and talk to my existing computer correctly, I should be ok.

Thanks,

MP
    Last edited by general23cmp; 09-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Ok guys, I think I found the answer to my question whether a MAF can still be used on a 2 bar SD OS. According to a few posts, yes.

Now I just need help choosing a MAF/IAT sensor that will work with my 2001 computer. Customizing the wiring harness is no big deal as I'm ordering custom anyway. It just needs to work with my computer (voltages, frequencies, etc.).

Thanks.

work in progress

Advanced Tuner
    If you plan on running the MAF there is no need to run a 2 bar map or operating system. Really defeats the purpose.
    2000 Camaro SS M6
    11:1 Stock bottom end
    76mm Altitude compensator

I am a fan of a MAF, but you are correct

Advanced Tuner
    Too bad they don't have a setting where you can use filtered airmass below say 3000 rpm. Opposite of how the stock ecu is setup.
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Are you 100% sure the 1 meg file doesn't?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know the only setting is High RPM Disable which is what you normally set at a low rpm to disable the VE table when you're running MAF only.
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Now I'm really confused. My computer will not allow me to use just the MAF for the turbo application. It will max out very early. I need the 2 bar MAP. I'd just like to use the MAF at low speeds.
    Last edited by general23cmp; 09-30-2011 at 06:25 PM.

All SD don't use a MAF

I have a customer with a 5.3L with a MP112 and it runs a MAF. The MAF is not close to maxing out with 12psi (I think)
    Last edited by CalEditor@pcmcalibrators; 09-30-2011 at 06:26 PM.

I understand that a SD tune means no MAF, but I read posts where people had taken the 2 bar SD OS, but had their MAFs working too. It seemed like a good idea. I can always go without a MAF, I guess, but if I could use it on the 2 bar OS, then that might be useful.

The 2001 computers hit an early airflow limit in their SW. Even with a modified MAF that could put out the right frequencies, the air mass values can only be set so high. Compared to new computers, it is a low max value.

I just double checked and my MAF will max out at 512 g/sec, which is about half of what I'm needing. Thus the MAP is needed for sure.