Thread: Explanation of DTC tags(?) / Help with an SS/TC Cobalt

Tuner in Training

Explanation of DTC tags(?) / Help with an SS/TC Cobalt

Hey Guys,

My 2010 Cobalt SS/TC has had a MIL on the dash for quite some time. I got HPT the other day expecting to see the Cat efficiency code however was greeted with some others that seem to me to suggest boost leak. however more than that, I am interested to know what the tags (not sure if this is the right term) that HPT places after the codes in brackets. my codes were as follows:

[ECM] P2178 - System Too Rich Off Idle Bank 1 (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) System Performance (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

To me this means that the current code causing the SES is the P0420 as it has the (Current) and (SES) tags. and that the other codes may not even be an issue because they are (Old) (Immature), does this mean that it is old data and Immature because it never got bad enough to throw up the engine light?

Any insight into my codes or the tags during diagnostics would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to search the net and these forums but simply found questions and not really any answers. again any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Car mods:

GM Stage 1
    K&N Intake
    Modern Performance Catted DP

Tuner in Training
    although the HPT help docs shed no light on this my own reading perhaps suggests that I shouldn't worry about any codes that don't say (SES) or (Current) is this true? that all others are historical or (old). Thanks so much guys I just don't want to tune on top of something if there are issues present at stock.

thanks again,

Chris

Advanced Tuner
    You intake probably screwed the trims up. Tune the MAF to get the [ECM] P2178 - System Too Rich Off Idle Bank 1 (Old) (Immature) to go away.

[ECM] P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance (Old) (Immature)
    may also go away with a MAF tune, not 100% on that though.

[ECM] P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency
    You sure you have a CAT? If so it could be bad. Check it. If you dont care or get catless tune the code out and move on.

[ECM] P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) System Performance (Old) (Immature)
    Not positive of the problem.. Could be part of the MAF code too. Clear them all and see which ones code back. Might be because of the new MAP sensor with the GMS1?

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Now that I have given it some time the cat code comes up almost 15 mins into any drive but apparently is quite common with the spun metal cats from MPX downpipes (yes I'm 100% sure I have a cat on my car). As for the re-appearance of other codes, I have seen the

code again and feel I likely have a boost leak from talking with Terminator. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain all weekend here and i don't have a garage so I'll have to wait to troubleshoot further. According to Term likely all my codes are boost leak related, praying I don't have a craptastic GM IC that has cracked endtanks like everyone elses. . Oh well if I do excuse to buy ZZPs over the winter

thanks again,

I'll follow up to this thread when I know more.

Chris

Advanced Tuner
    ahhh yah didnt even think boost leak... good call term.

Just turn that cat code off then..

Tuner
    I just added a high flow cat on my car recently and it does make the car generate that code pretty often. I thought about disabling the code since it still seems to be hitting its marks most of the time when watching the voltage on the o2 sensor after the cat in the scanner.
    2006 Cobalt SS LE5 | ZZP 2.5" Downpipe | ZZP Cams | HP Tuned