Thread: TPS percentage????

Tuner

TPS percentage????

ok. I"ve been having a ton of troubles with the idle tuning my 2001 corvette with a large cam.

Now i'm trying to see if possibly the TPS is bad. I've done the TPS relearn. it's a Drive by Wire car. it constantly sits at 17% with thecar not started just sitting there. i swapped throttle bodies. and it sits at 14percent with that throttle body ( all sensors etc attached j ust swapped the dang thing.

is this supposed to be like that Ihave looked and not found an answer.I know it's simple I just can't find it.

should the TPS on a drive by wire car be 0 with the car shut off sitting there. or should it be a higher percentage.

Unplug it, key on for 20 seconds, turn off, plug it back in. Try that, should reset itself.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    i have done that a dozen times by now i believe

about a half a dozen with each throttle body.

is it even supposed to go to zero percent ith an electronic throttle body? because theblade never goes fully vertical.

Im still a DBC setup, but my Gen 4 engine on my stand has a ETC TB and its fully closed. WOT on those setups only read 84-87%. I would think 0% is no problem for them though. Bump for ya

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K WS6 View Post

should the TPS on a drive by wire car be 0 with the car shut off sitting there. or should it be a higher percentage.
    The TPS on a ETC (Drive by Wire) car should be ballpark 8-18% (it will depend on your setup, but these values would be a reasonable median value), so what your seeing sounds normal. The ETC% PID should be 0% at idle and 100% at WOT, however the TPS PID is a indication of actual blade angle (as you alluded to) as there is no IAC; the additional air comes from a slightly open blade, and again as per above, WOT TPS is generally 83 or 88% depending on calibration.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    The TPS on a ETC (Drive by Wire) car should be ballpark 8-18% (it will depend on your setup, but these values would be a reasonable median value), so what your seeing sounds normal. The ETC% PID should be 0% at idle and 100% at WOT, however the TPS PID is a indication of actual blade angle (as you alluded to) as there is no IAC; the additional air comes from a slightly open blade, and again as per above, WOT TPS is generally 83 or 88% depending on calibration.
    The part that I am not understanding here is most idle settings an closed loop tabs refer to max values for TPS (ie below 5% or TPS 0 % ) However when the car is not running TPS is 14 % {idling 8%} and ETC peddle position is 0% .

So are the min settings really referring to peddle peddle position sensor ?
    This drive by wire is a little different

My 2005 jimmy that has the old fashion Cable to Throttle body. Reads TPS 0% off an idling. all settings make sense to me in this case !

Tuner in Training
    I am helping a buddy fix his evap issues on his 2006 DBW 5.3 Silverado 1500. Codes P0499 and P0455 keep coming up and I am pretty sure we know how to fix that.

I guess my question is when i scanned the truck, the TPS % never went down to 0%. Like the post #1 said it just stays around 14%. I am new to tuning and gaining a lot of ground in understanding what I am doing but should the TPS stay that way or should I try to reset it to where it reads 0% at idle?

Thanks,

Adam

As stated, a DBW vehicle will not be at 0% at idle because there is no IAC. So the throttle % controls the idle speed.

Russ Kemp

If you think its bad, do this test. Take the air intake tube off, and have a buddy turn the key on (not starting it). You should see the blade move back and forth a couple times when you turn the key on. If it doesnt you have an issue. If you dont have a buddy, you should still be able to hear it move with the tube off, but some are quieter than others. Hope that helps.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    As stated, a DBW vehicle will not be at 0% at idle because there is no IAC. So the throttle % controls the idle speed.

Russ Kemp
    Thank you, that's what I was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    If you think its bad, do this test. Take the air intake tube off, and have a buddy turn the key on (not starting it). You should see the blade move back and forth a couple times when you turn the key on. If it doesnt you have an issue. If you dont have a buddy, you should still be able to hear it move with the tube off, but some are quieter than others. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, I don't think it's bad I was confused by whether it should read 0% or not.

Fellas,

Again thanks for the help.

Adam