Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: TPS percentage????

  1. #1
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Weston, WV
    Posts
    50

    TPS percentage????

    ok. I"ve been having a ton of troubles with the idle tuning my 2001 corvette with a large cam.

    Now i'm trying to see if possibly the TPS is bad. I've done the TPS relearn. it's a Drive by Wire car. it constantly sits at 17% with thecar not started just sitting there. i swapped throttle bodies. and it sits at 14percent with that throttle body ( all sensors etc attached j ust swapped the dang thing.

    is this supposed to be like that Ihave looked and not found an answer.I know it's simple I just can't find it.

    should the TPS on a drive by wire car be 0 with the car shut off sitting there. or should it be a higher percentage.

  2. #2
    Senior Tuner Ben Charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,015
    Unplug it, key on for 20 seconds, turn off, plug it back in. Try that, should reset itself.

    Email Tunes, PM me for more info
    LT4 9.1cr, Meth, Stroked and Twin screwed
    4L80E/Fab 9, NGK AFX WB

  3. #3
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Weston, WV
    Posts
    50
    i have done that a dozen times by now i believe

    about a half a dozen with each throttle body.

    is it even supposed to go to zero percent ith an electronic throttle body? because theblade never goes fully vertical.

  4. #4
    Senior Tuner Ben Charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,015
    Im still a DBC setup, but my Gen 4 engine on my stand has a ETC TB and its fully closed. WOT on those setups only read 84-87%. I would think 0% is no problem for them though. Bump for ya

    Email Tunes, PM me for more info
    LT4 9.1cr, Meth, Stroked and Twin screwed
    4L80E/Fab 9, NGK AFX WB

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2K WS6 View Post

    should the TPS on a drive by wire car be 0 with the car shut off sitting there. or should it be a higher percentage.
    The TPS on a ETC (Drive by Wire) car should be ballpark 8-18% (it will depend on your setup, but these values would be a reasonable median value), so what your seeing sounds normal. The ETC% PID should be 0% at idle and 100% at WOT, however the TPS PID is a indication of actual blade angle (as you alluded to) as there is no IAC; the additional air comes from a slightly open blade, and again as per above, WOT TPS is generally 83 or 88% depending on calibration.

  6. #6
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    The TPS on a ETC (Drive by Wire) car should be ballpark 8-18% (it will depend on your setup, but these values would be a reasonable median value), so what your seeing sounds normal. The ETC% PID should be 0% at idle and 100% at WOT, however the TPS PID is a indication of actual blade angle (as you alluded to) as there is no IAC; the additional air comes from a slightly open blade, and again as per above, WOT TPS is generally 83 or 88% depending on calibration.
    The part that I am not understanding here is most idle settings an closed loop tabs refer to max values for TPS (ie below 5% or TPS 0 % ) However when the car is not running TPS is 14 % {idling 8%} and ETC peddle position is 0% .

    So are the min settings really referring to peddle peddle position sensor ?
    This drive by wire is a little different

    My 2005 jimmy that has the old fashion Cable to Throttle body. Reads TPS 0% off an idling. all settings make sense to me in this case !

  7. #7
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    17
    I am helping a buddy fix his evap issues on his 2006 DBW 5.3 Silverado 1500. Codes P0499 and P0455 keep coming up and I am pretty sure we know how to fix that.

    I guess my question is when i scanned the truck, the TPS % never went down to 0%. Like the post #1 said it just stays around 14%. I am new to tuning and gaining a lot of ground in understanding what I am doing but should the TPS stay that way or should I try to reset it to where it reads 0% at idle?

    Thanks,

    Adam

  8. #8
    Senior Tuner Russ K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Posts
    3,845
    As stated, a DBW vehicle will not be at 0% at idle because there is no IAC. So the throttle % controls the idle speed.

    Russ Kemp

  9. #9
    Advanced Tuner gn2beatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Germantown WI
    Posts
    417
    If you think its bad, do this test. Take the air intake tube off, and have a buddy turn the key on (not starting it). You should see the blade move back and forth a couple times when you turn the key on. If it doesnt you have an issue. If you dont have a buddy, you should still be able to hear it move with the tube off, but some are quieter than others. Hope that helps.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

  10. #10
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    As stated, a DBW vehicle will not be at 0% at idle because there is no IAC. So the throttle % controls the idle speed.

    Russ Kemp
    Thank you, that's what I was wondering.

    Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    If you think its bad, do this test. Take the air intake tube off, and have a buddy turn the key on (not starting it). You should see the blade move back and forth a couple times when you turn the key on. If it doesnt you have an issue. If you dont have a buddy, you should still be able to hear it move with the tube off, but some are quieter than others. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, I don't think it's bad I was confused by whether it should read 0% or not.

    Fellas,

    Again thanks for the help.

    Adam