Thread: 2.2 LS Cobalt Tuning Help

Advanced Tuner

2.2 LS Cobalt Tuning Help

Mods:
    Garrett GT2860RS turbo kit, 80's, 1:1 mix, 1 step plugs.

I have been tuning this LS Cobalt Turbo and we are having some issues.

After driving he will put the car into park and it will die. TPS drops to about 4% bogs and dies. I have the scaler set to his upgraded TB, just not too sure what it is.

Also, in second ONLY, at WOT anything above 5k(ish) RPM it misfires bad! He checked the gap and everything was fine. He lessened gap and it didnt help.

This misfire issue has been happening with his trifecta tune and also with the HPT tune so maybe its mechanical? It only happens in second and we didnt have enough time in to log it this time but before we went full throttle to 6500 in third and it was fine.

Any suggestions?

Got a copy of the tune to see? Also make sure the gap on his plugs are at least a 30 anything larger will cause problems. Another thing make sure there is no bad boost leaks cause you will fight it for ever till they are fixed.

Advanced Tuner
    gap is at .28. No boost leaks.

Let me know!

Well in pe I would set the car map to 10 not 17.4 seems little high. Also I would just set your delay to like 2500 rpms and remove the enable rpm. Pe afr is set really rich I would go for like 12 or 11.8 to get started. Right now its running richer then 11.5. Piston protect set it to max rpm till you get it tuned so you wont have to fight it. Also your timing looks really high start with stock timing table the one you are running seems really high. Are you running 93 or E85 mix and what injectors are in the car? A log with the wideband hooked up make it even easier to see whats going on. One last thing what throttle body is it exactly is it?

Advanced Tuner
    Ok on the PE stuff. I ran him richer for safety reasons.

Timing does look weird, I have not smoothed it yet until I finalize it. So its gunna look weird.

80# injectors, 91 E85 mix.

The stoich is still 14.7 because of the WB logging. I would have had it where it needed to be but it throws off the error.

You need custom pid to fix afr. Also where did you get 80 settings from? When I get home I will look at log.

Forgot to add you should remove the stock short pulse adder and you need pulse limiter.

Advanced Tuner
    I know about the custom PID I just didnt for now. I made one now, just need to log him again.

I created the injector data based off of the LSJ spreadsheet.

I thought I did remove the pulse width info. My bad.

It happens might help the idle on the car.

Advanced Tuner
    Well the idle issue is when its put into park. When we start it and its in park really no issues. When we are driving and come to a start, really no issues. Its just driving a while putting it in park, TPS goes to 4%, he can step all the way on the throttle and the TPS will not move a percent.. Even pedal all the way down.

Also on the injector short pulse limit what do you suggest? I thought the pulse limit is what the adder reads from so if its 0 it basically means its not going to add any short pulse from the table? That is how we do it for the LSJs.

Sorry I thought that blank was minimum pulse. How come you are tuning in open loop? I did notice the afr is all over the place in many of places and did yall ever go wot?

Advanced Tuner
    I was tuning afr , you always tuning in ol. i thought he did. we did a 3rd gear pull.

The log you posted didn't have anything above like 56 or so throttle. You don't have to tune in open loop if you look at your idle after doing all the driving your error is like 20% so the car should be running lean. When you first started it up the afr was pretty close. I recommend you dialing all the cruise in using the fuel trims but thats just me.

Advanced Tuner
    I think the idle error 20% is due to DFCO, even though its turned off it still seems to engage.

I thought he went WOT guess not.

I wouldnt tune trims if I have the possibility to tune AFRs.

Advanced Tuner
    And I wouldnt tune afr's if I had the ability to tune trims. Trims are going to be more accurate in the area that utilizes trims.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

I know this is an old thread but has anyone figured out the cause ? I am having the same issue
    thanks